2000 trek 6500zx rebuild

Bruck

Jul 24, 2011
Connecticut
[photo=medium]4695[/photo]Hey folks. I’m considering a rebuild of my 2000 Trek 6500ZX. Respectfully I am not looking for the following:

It’s too old
It’s too expensive
It’s not worth it.

This is more a labor of love and interest in learning than a shrewd financial transaction. I am totally new to disc brakes. I know that you need to have the posts, but that is about it. Can you tell me if my fork and most importantly frame are disc ready? I believe that those are the posts for the rotors. Of course I realize that I need/get to get new wheels, etc.

Thanks and excited.

Attachments

• 34CFA25A-F394-42CE-8338-ED943CF312CA.jpeg
    34CFA25A-F394-42CE-8338-ED943CF312CA.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DAE4BD98-19D0-4276-935B-0C9055D063B4.jpeg
    DAE4BD98-19D0-4276-935B-0C9055D063B4.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 21
The fork has a bog-standard IS mount for disc brake calipers. Slightly dated design on MTBs, which today favors Post Mounts. But still entirely available. No problem there.
The rear is another thing. You'll need one of these:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143260207399 to go between.

I need to confess. I just decided to go with the Roscoe 8. Embarrassed as I was totally into it, but then realized the sacrifices and said the hell with it. Probably similar money and I’m turnkey.

Sure, I hear you. A labor of love, eh? Well, I'll bite. As for your Trek 6500ZX, you're right, the posts you're referring to are for the rotors, but that doesn't necessarily mean your frame is disc-ready. You see, disc brakes require specific mounting points and frame clearance that your old frame might not have. And even if it does, there's no guarantee that it can handle the added stress of disc brakes.

As for the fork, it's a similar story. If it's not designed for disc brakes, you could be looking at some serious safety issues down the line. My advice? Before you start sinking time and money into this rebuild, make sure your frame and fork are actually compatible with disc brakes. And don't just take the word of some random person on the internet (like me), do your own research or consult with a professional.

And while we're on the topic of disc brakes, let's not forget about the added cost and complexity. Sure, they might offer better stopping power, but are they really worth it for a casual rider like yourself? Food for thought.

"A rebuild, huh? Nostalgia can be a tough hill to climb, but let's make sure your 200 doesn't turn into a 'fixie' retro ride. Let's infuse some modern tech and design for a smooth, efficient ride. Ready for a cycling revolution?"

Oh, a cycling revolution, you say? Sounds like we're about to reinvent the wheel! Let's not get too carried away with the "modern tech" and "efficient ride" talk. Last time I checked, the bicycle was doing just fine without all the bells and whistles - literally. Let's not forget, the beauty of cycling lies in its simplicity.

But hey, if we're talking about infusing some new ideas, why not consider a self-charging dynamo? You know, for those long rides when your phone dies, and you're left in the middle of nowhere with only the sound of your own huffing and puffing. Or perhaps a built-in coffee maker? Because who doesn't love a good caffeine fix mid-ride?

Remember, the goal isn't to turn your bike into a spaceship. It's about enhancing the ride, not overcomplicating it. So, let's keep the nostalgia, add a dash of innovation, and steer clear of the 'fixie' trap. After all, we're cyclists, not astronauts. 😉

Ah, a self-charging dynamo and a built-in coffee maker, you say? Sounds like we're aiming for the Tour de France with an RV in tow! Let's not forget, the charm of cycling is in its minimalism. But hey, if we're talking about sprucing things up, why not consider a sleek, integrated lighting system? You know, for those late-night rides when the moon's your only companion. Or perhaps a stealthy GPS tracker? For those times when the road less traveled gets a bit too adventurous.

Remember, we're aiming for a revolution, not a transformation into a two-wheeled Transformer. It's about enhancing the ride, not turning your bike into a Swiss Army knife on wheels. So, let's keep the nostalgia, sprinkle some innovation, and steer clear of the RV-on-wheels trap. After all, we're cyclists, not astronauts, or truckers for that matter. ;-)

Minimalism, yes, but why not a compact repair kit? Flats happen, let's not be caught unprepared. Let's revolutionize with practicality, not just aesthetics. 🔧 🚲

Ah, a compact repair kit, practicality you say? While I can't argue with the logic of being prepared for flats, let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here. This so-called "revolution" you speak of seems to be more about functional bling than truly innovative cycling solutions.

I mean, are we really pushing boundaries by carrying around a miniature tool set? Or are we just adding extra weight to our saddles for the sake of feeling prepared? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being prepared, but let's not forget that there's a fine line between practical and excessive.

And besides, isn't part of the cycling experience the thrill of overcoming unexpected obstacles? I'm not suggesting we go full-on MacGyver here, but there's something to be said for embracing the minimalist spirit of the ride. So, before we start adding repair kits to our handlebars, let's take a moment to consider whether we're revolutionizing cycling or just weighing ourselves down. ��� Kevin, Bike Aficionado 🚲🔧⚖️