Anyone done National Route 8 (Lon Las Cymru / Weish E2E)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Turner

Hi,

Has anyone on this NG done the Lon Las Cymru? My wife and I are considering it for this summer on
expedition touring bikes (Dawes Sardar).

Any information regarding route (I have already sent for the Sustrans stuff) and accomodation (B&B)
warmly welcomed.

Thanks,

Andrew Turner

Hi I have done it from Bulith Wells to Anglesey. It was a long time ago and I can't remember where
we stayed. We stayed in bunkhouses or camped I think. We had a back up van and driver who made camp
and started the cooking for us. We did it in three days and each day was fairly tough due to the
terrain and distance. It was a good ride, often these things are too tame for me but this is
challenging, we took all the off road alternatives. I'll have a think, get the maps out and maybe
add some more later

"Andrew Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone on this NG done the Lon Las Cymru? My wife and I are
considering
> it for this summer on expedition touring bikes (Dawes Sardar).
>
> Any information regarding route (I have already sent for the Sustrans
stuff)
> and accomodation (B&B) warmly welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Turner

"Andrew Turner" wrote ...
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone on this NG done the Lon Las Cymru? My wife and I are
considering
> it for this summer on expedition touring bikes (Dawes Sardar).
>
> Any information regarding route (I have already sent for the Sustrans
stuff)
> and accomodation (B&B) warmly welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Turner

I followed the northern half of the route from Builth Wells to Holyhead in May 2000, shortly before
the official opening of the NCN network. I used the off pavement alternatives whenever possible,
which I would recommend, and had no trouble finding B & Bs and hostels (check the YHA website), . I
found 26 x 1.5" slicks to be quite adequate for the ride. I would definitely recommend using the off
pavement alternatives wherever possible, much more scenic and not nearly as much traffic.
--
mark

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Andrew Turner" wrote ...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone on this NG done the Lon Las Cymru? My wife and I are
> considering
> > it for this summer on expedition touring bikes (Dawes Sardar).
> >
> > Any information regarding route (I have already sent for the Sustrans
> stuff)
> > and accomodation (B&B) warmly welcomed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew Turner
>
> I followed the northern half of the route from Builth Wells to Holyhead in May 2000, shortly
> before the official opening of the NCN network. I used
the
> off pavement alternatives whenever possible, which I would recommend, and had no trouble finding B
> & Bs and hostels (check the YHA website), . I
found
> 26 x 1.5" slicks to be quite adequate for the ride. I would definitely recommend using the off
> pavement alternatives wherever possible, much more scenic and not nearly as much traffic.
> --
> mark
>
>

Thanks to all for their information. The Sustrans pack has arrived - we are now trying to decide
whether to go N->S or S->N.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.