Cycling after sports massage

ddaversa

Mar 28, 2012
Hey cyclists:

I just received a deep tissue/soft tissue massage to improve some lightly strained abductor muscles (running injury apx. 4 weeks ago). I am unsure how long I should stay off the bike after a massage. If I were to go on a ride the following day, would I be counteracting the positive effects of the massage?

Any insight into the standard procedure for post-massage exercise would be a great help.

Thanks!

ddaversa said:
Hey cyclists:
I just received a deep tissue/soft tissue massage to improve some lightly strained abductor muscles (running injury apx. 4 weeks ago). I am unsure how long I should stay off the bike after a massage. If I were to go on a ride the following day, would I be counteracting the positive effects of the massage?
Any insight into the standard procedure for post-massage exercise would be a great help.
Thanks!
Pro cyclists get massaged after many of their races and then ride the next day. You'll be fine riding the next day.

Originally Posted by ddaversa .

Hey cyclists:

Thanks!
Personally I don't believe so. As you mentioned "deep tissue", maybe if you are a little sore from the massage itself which occasionally happens, stick to Zone1(recovery) intensity the next day. If the massage was to relieve a spasm or splinted muscle, I would want to certainly avoid same day exertion. After a good night sleep one should usually be ok (it's usually the acute vs. chronic conditions where it is possible to "undo" the massages benefit). As a former LMT in New York State for 5 years, and no longer maintaining my licence (and thusly no longer insured), please take this advice with a grain of salt.

Former LMT? Current crackdown on backpages.com proving a bit too much? :p

To the OP - You really should have asked this question to the masseur/masseuse that you saw. A massage may help but it's not a mystical cure if there's still a problem. The internet can be a wonderful thing but we can't tell if there's still issues via a keyboard/monitor...

Swampy are you still using your powercranks and if so, does your power output continue to improve ?

The power output is doing just fine and dandy. I stopped using them a while back - but only because of an ongoing hip rotator issue that kinda makes my right foot become very heel in. On the adjustable PC's I kept smacking the block that the pedals attach too and using pedal spacers made the pedal width too much... Not sure why the differences in foot angle on the PC's but it was driving me nuts. If I get that resolved i'll be back on them - or if I can get a deal on a slightly used set of "regular" PC's then that's work too. I do miss them - they made setting your position idiot proof. Sometimes idiot proof is good.