First cyclist to compete to paralympics with 3d-printed prosthetic leg

May 7, 2016
A cyclist from Germany called Denise Schindler, who lost her leg (right below the knee) from a childhood accident, decided to switch from handmade prosthetics, that take a lot of time and effort to make, to 3D printed prosthetics.

While prosthetics are not news in the paralympics, this will be the first time 3D printing will be put to test on Olympic-grade sports. Schindler says : "It makes a big, big difference if you have been amputated and you still have the chance to be active, to be self-confident, to enjoy life and not to give up."

Source: http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear...clist-to-compete-on-3d-printed-leg-160515.htm

Well I still have yet to figure out this whole 3D printing thing, and by that I mean know even the slightest about how it is done and what they are made out of and the process, but I have to admit that it is fascinating. This is certainly a great story for the sports world and the technology world, and for people in general, and I am sure that we will be seeing more advancements soon, which is always good news.

I raced in the ParaOlympics and I saw some amazing prosthetics. Some single amputee riders used a prosthetic and some preferred not to. The designs were pretty cool and ranged from very natural looking to carbon fiber and Titanium designs that were minimalist.

One of my old team mates is a custom prosthetic maker and he specializes in limbs for athletes. I'll have to call him up and see if he's into the 3-D printing process to aid accurate construction.

Well I still have yet to figure out this whole 3D printing thing, and by that I mean know even the slightest about how it is done and what they are made out of and the process, but I have to admit that it is fascinating. This is certainly a great story for the sports world and the technology world, and for people in general, and I am sure that we will be seeing more advancements soon, which is always good news.
I agree with your comment. It is actually a good news.

I'm really glad how new technologies are actually put into effective use. It is truly fascinating .

It makes me so happy to know that we have programs and technology that can allow things like this to happen to people who want to keep living, even after a tragic accident. Good for her. I have actually seen quite a few people riding with prosthetic before. I don't know much about 3D printing, but I have been pretty fascinated by some of the things I have seen come out of a 3D printer. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I think it's great inspiration for people with prosthetics. For most people in his situation, they would rather hide their amputations, they would be ashamed to show them around, and the idea of competing professionally with a handicap would sound incredibly ridiculous for them. But with the rise of people with disabilities gaining recognition and success in professional sports, I think it would give people in the same situation a breath of fresh air and maybe, maybe they will think that an amputation wouldn't mean the end of the world.

These types of news are really exciting and I became fully excited after reading this news. It is an inspiring story and it shows what can a cyclist do to achieve his goal. Technology is also getting better day by day and in my opinion, it is channeled to a good use.

This has got to show that when one has got the confidence in the world to get to the top of what we do, then there's nothing that can make us slow down. That is exactly what happened in this tournament that despite her limitations, she was able to give it a try and glad she got successful with it at the end.

These types of news are really exciting and I became fully excited after reading this news. It is an inspiring story and it shows what can a cyclist do to achieve his goal. Technology is also getting better day by day and in my opinion, it is channeled to a good use.

That is right for technology has helped to improved life to a level where we can't really imagine. I am always looking at better way that even those that can't see can now be able to ride bikes and feel happy doing so.

It's amazing what technology can do to improve the quality of life of people and not let disability hinder anyone from greatness.

It's amazing what technology can do to improve the quality of life of people and not let disability hinder anyone from greatness.

Technology has made things to look better for everyone of us for we can now achieve our dreams without limitations caused by one deform of the body or the other. This is the case of tue athletes that win when they are cripple as well.