New Clyde - First time cycling since early teens

Meisterjager

Dec 18, 2009
I'm 6'0" and weigh around 224lb, and I'm now looking at getting back into cycling. I've been reading a bit about what kind of bike I need, and keep reading about reinforced frames and wheels, etc. My budget's right around £300, and I'll need a helmet.. and a computer would be nice.

I'm looking to buy a bike early next month, and was originally looking at second-hand Specialized Sirrus bikes, as I'll mainly be on tarmac, but occasionally dust and gravel tracks. I've just spotted an advert for Carrera bikes on sale at Halfords, and they have this : Carrera Vengeance Ltd Disc Mountain Bike 20" from Halfords Was £499.99 Save £170.00 Price £329.99 Up to 1/3rd off all Carrera Bikes - which looks quite good to me, and has a saving of £170. However, is my weight gonna have a negative effect on it, sharpish? I'm told Carrera's are pretty solid frames, sometimes lacking in features.. but the features on this seem pretty good, am I right?

So will this be any good to me? It's slightly above budget, and I'll have to put some extra cash into getting a helmet and computer - but is it worth it, since it's the sale?

Sorry for the rambling post!

EDIT: sorry, my real question is Sirrus vs Vengeance - are either strong enough for me?

Meisterjager said:
I'm 6'0" and weigh around 224lb, and I'm now looking at getting back into cycling. I've been reading a bit about what kind of bike I need, and keep reading about reinforced frames and wheels, etc.

EDIT: sorry, my real question is Sirrus vs Vengeance - are either strong enough for me?

Sorry, I don't know much about either bike. However, at 224 lbs. I do believe you should be fine on most bikes, except maybe some folding bikes (I believe most Dahons are even rated for 230 lbs.). It's worth a call to the bike store to be sure, but I think you should be fine.

BeginnerCycling said:
Sorry, I don't know much about either bike. However, at 224 lbs. I do believe you should be fine on most bikes, except maybe some folding bikes (I believe most Dahons are even rated for 230 lbs.). It's worth a call to the bike store to be sure, but I think you should be fine.
+1 - I've ranged up to 235 and never had a frame issue in 3 yrs of semi-serious riding.