Road bike tires on a mountain bike?

Kbell6

Jan 8, 2011
Hello,
I'm new here, and had a question about mountain bikes.
I've read on many sites that using road bike tires on a mountain bike would be better if the mountain bike were to be used on pavement. I have both a mountain and road bike, but the road bike is a ten speed and the mountain bike is an eighteen speed. I can't afford right now to really buy anything (new tires, new tools, new parts etc), so I was wondering if it would be possible to put the road bike tires (although not just the tires, but the whole wheel) on the mountain bike. Would this work or damage my mountain bike or the road bike tires? I would just use the road bike, but it doesn't have any springs and I live in a place that has a ton of pot holes, so the mountain bike is really just a better choice for me.
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but I thought since it was really about a mountain bike it would be okay.
Any advice would be appreciated.
-Kbell

Originally Posted by Kbell6 .

Hello,
I'm new here, and had a question about mountain bikes.
I've read on many sites that using road bike tires on a mountain bike would be better if the mountain bike were to be used on pavement. I have both a mountain and road bike, but the road bike is a ten speed and the mountain bike is an eighteen speed. I can't afford right now to really buy anything (new tires, new tools, new parts etc), so I was wondering if it would be possible to put the road bike tires (although not just the tires, but the whole wheel) on the mountain bike. Would this work or damage my mountain bike or the road bike tires? I would just use the road bike, but it doesn't have any springs and I live in a place that has a ton of pot holes, so the mountain bike is really just a better choice for me.
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but I thought since it was really about a mountain bike it would be okay.
-Kbell

Welcome to the forums Kbell6. The easiest thing would be to add street tires to your mountain bike. Swapping wheels from one bike to the other would be much more costly. Continue to ride your mountain bike as this is the only investment free option you have. Plenty of folks are riding mountain bikes with knobby tires on the road. If money is that tight at the time keep an eye on the side of the road on trash collection day. Plenty of people throw away mountain bikes with good tires and other useful components on them.

Originally Posted by Kbell6 .

Hello,

, so I was wondering if it would be possible to put the road bike tires (although not just the tires, but the whole wheel) on the mountain bike. Would this work or damage my mountain bike or the road bike tires?

-Kbell
NO it won't work, they have different measurements both in height and width,
as suggested just use the MTB as it is and eventually buy new MTB thin tyres, they are in the market and not too costly, there are plenty of price options out there,

I recently had my Trek 4300 equipped with a 48 tooth crank and 26X1.5 in. tires. The stock setup was 42 teeth and 26X2.0 in. tires, the difference in the ride is quite noticable! I have faster acceleration and top speed, the tires are Kenda Kwest mtn. bike road tires that take 100 psi.