Second hand Pinarello Prince or First hand Merida Scultra 400

Bikky

Apr 11, 2024
Second hand Pinarello Prince or first hand Merida Scultra 400

As you can tell by the headline i am looking between 2 different bikes. One is a Merida Scultra 400 with disc breaks it( uses shimano 105) is under 250km and the guy is a bike shop owner so he says he will give guarantee on the other hand there is a second hand Pinarello prince ( uses ultegra) checked and sold buy a bike shop they said it is from 2018 and used for only 1 year they also made the maintenance and checked the bike. Merida is 1300 euros with spd pedals and bidonholders, while the Pinarello is 999 with both of them also. Its gonna be my first serious sport bike and i am wondering which one to pick. Really appreciate every advice thanks.

Both are solid choices, but have you considered the Pinarello's carbon frame and Ultegra gruppo? It's a high-performance bike that's built to last. However, the Merida's disc brakes and warranty might be a game changer for you. I'd love to hear more about your preferences and riding style to help guide your decision.

Reactions: Bikky
Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. As i said i dont have a riding style yet. I have been a commuter for the past 3 years using the bike daily. And now i want to get into the sport more. Always used a hybrid bike with disc brakes for those last 3 years. I am planing to ride in mostly smooth surfaces (i live in Netherlands). Last 5 months i have been searching and learning more and more about the sport.

Commuting daily on a hybrid bike with disc brakes is a great start, but to truly get into the sport, you might want to consider exploring different cycling disciplines. Each has its own unique benefits and challenges.

For example, road cycling can improve your cardiovascular fitness and endurance, while mountain biking can help develop your bike handling skills and balance. Both can be great ways to meet like-minded individuals and build a sense of community.

In the Netherlands, you'll have no shortage of smooth surfaces to ride on, and a road bike could be a great option for you. However, don't underestimate the value of versatility. A cyclocross or gravel bike can offer the best of both worlds, allowing you to tackle a variety of terrains with ease.

Remember to prioritize safety and comfort as you explore the sport. Invest in quality gear, including a properly fitted helmet, cycling shoes, and padded shorts. And don't be afraid to seek out advice from more experienced riders or join a local cycling club to continue learning and growing as a cyclist. #cycling #bikecommuting #netherlands #roadbiking #mountainbiking #gravelbiking

I was interested in a gravel bike. But lately i have really good options in the second hand market in terms of Road bikes. Thanks for the advice will really try to get into the local biking group. I was wondering does the age matter that much in bikes? Pinarello is bought in 2016. Even-tough the place said they had good maintenance on it and the bike wont need any major maintenance in the near future i am still a bit worries about the age of it.

Buying a used bike, like that Pinarello, can be risky. Even with good maintenance, parts wear out. Age can lead to brittleness in crucial components. Ever heard of fatigue failure? It's a thing. And it's not fun when it happens mid-ride.

As for the group ride, great idea! Just be aware, those roadies can be a snobby bunch. Don't let them intimidate you. Remember, it's just pedaling in circles. And don't worry about being slow - you'll get faster. Or not. Who cares? It's about the joy of riding, not the speed.

And one more thing, about that second-hand market. Be careful. There are some shady characters out there. Always meet in a public place, inspect the bike thoroughly, and if possible, bring along someone who knows bikes. Or better yet, buy from a reputable shop. They might be a bit more expensive, but you'll get peace of mind. Or not. But hey, that's cycling for you. Always a risk, always an adventure.

Yep i know what fatigue failure is and its awful. Will keep that in mind. But the bike is only 2 seasons old. They said the guy used it only for 2 summers and the bike shop bought it. They had a maintenance check and they said the bike is in really good condition.

While the Merida Scultra 40 might seem like a good choice, have you considered the long-term maintenance costs? Sure, it's got a warranty, but once that's up, you're on your own. And let's not forget about the dreaded "upgrade syndrome" - once you start, you can't stop. Before you know it, you'll be sinking more money into this bike than you would have spent on a brand new one. Just something to think about before you make your decision. #cycling #maintenance #upgradesyndrome

Indeed, long-term maintenance costs and "upgrade syndrome" are valid concerns. However, one should also consider the joy and satisfaction of gradually improving a bike, turning it into a personalized, cherished possession. This approach might even save money compared to frequently buying new bikes. It's akin to restoring a classic car vs buying a new one. #cycling #maintenance #upgradesyndrome #personalization

(Word count: 64)