The e-tricycle is the newest fad

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Teenagers are going gaga over the e-tricycle. According to the blurb, the e-tricycle is safe since a crash is virtually impossible with its 3 wheels. It is also safe from the elements with the sturdy roofing. What's more, it is expensive so it exudes class to the rider. The pic was taken in an avenue in Metro Manila beside a classy village called Valle Verde.
IMG_5009 ebike.JPG

This one should not be in the main roads, all the E-bike should be in the streets only. E-bike or E-tricycle doesn't have plate number and you can drive it even without license.
You're right, its looks safe to drive.

If your city has mandated the wearing of shoes on bikes and motorcycles, perhaps it ought to mandate helmets for young people on electric trikes. They look like fun but I don't think I'd like to be riding one in traffic.

They can be deemed safe but there should still be basic safety precautions like wearing a helmet and seatbelt when riding around these, also maybe not appropriate for the main roads.

I think this one is not really safe in major roads. This e-bike can easily change it direction once there's a big bus running fast beside this bike, or even actually the simple SUV's. The strong wind can easily push them away.

Teenagers are going gaga over the e-tricycle. According to the blurb, the e-tricycle is safe since a crash is virtually impossible with its 3 wheels. It is also safe from the elements with the sturdy roofing. What's more, it is expensive so it exudes class to the rider. The pic was taken in an avenue in Metro Manila beside a classy village called Valle Verde. View attachment 3079
Hi. I am from Philippines as well. I've never seen anyone using this one yet. But it looks safe. I am driving a motorcycle, but still I don't feel safe driving on highways or busy streets. I am afraid of getting hit or even with a slightest slide by a car, you will be out of balance, and worst you'll get into an accident. The fact that I am only using a vehicle with two wheels. I can be just thrown on the side anytime. So I am curious about this one. This look nice safe. I wonder how much are these e-tricycle?

Reactions: Corzhens
Hi. I am from Philippines as well. I've never seen anyone using this one yet. But it looks safe. I am driving a motorcycle, but still I don't feel safe driving on highways or busy streets. I am afraid of getting hit or even with a slightest slide by a car, you will be out of balance, and worst you'll get into an accident. The fact that I am only using a vehicle with two wheels. I can be just thrown on the side anytime. So I am curious about this one. This look nice safe. I wonder how much are these e-tricycle?

It looks like those e-bikes are the high end and for sure would cost more than the motorcycle that you are using. That e-bike in the picture looks safe from all angles but the downside is the speed limit of 30 kilometers per hour. Well, that's okay for leisure rides but I don't think you will use that for commuting to work.

It looks like those e-bikes are the high end and for sure would cost more than the motorcycle that you are using. That e-bike in the picture looks safe from all angles but the downside is the speed limit of 30 kilometers per hour. Well, that's okay for leisure rides but I don't think you will use that for commuting to work.
Hmm, if it's more expensive than motorcycles then I'll just really stick to my reliable bike for going into places. I think it would be forgotten by the public in the near future.

Oh my, 30kph? Ok then, I'd rather put up a side car for my motorbike. Thank you for the information ma'am :) But still I found this one safe for my parents maybe.

I'm surprised by your post. The e-tricycle may seem like a safe and classy option, but as a new cyclist recovering from cervical spinal surgery, I have to disagree. While the three wheels may reduce the risk of a crash, the added weight and complexity of the e-tricycle could increase the risk of accidents and injuries.

Furthermore, the sturdy roofing may protect you from the elements, but it also limits your visibility and exposure to your surroundings. This could make it harder for you to navigate through traffic and avoid potential hazards.

Lastly, the high cost of the e-tricycle doesn't guarantee safety or quality. It's important to look beyond the price tag and consider the actual features and specifications of the bike.

As someone who is taking up cycling for commuting and leisure after a serious surgery, I would recommend sticking to traditional bikes that are lightweight, easy to maneuver, and customizable to your specific needs. Don't be swayed by flashy gimmicks that could compromise your safety and health.

Ah, the e-tricycle, a curious contraption. While it's true that three wheels might reduce the risk of tipping, it doesn't eliminate the human error factor. Plus, have you considered the added weight and potential for more severe collisions? As for the roofing, it's not a bad idea in damp London, but it might obstruct your view.

Now, on to your real query. For back-road cycling to the sea, consider the Thames Path or the Woolwich Ferry route. Both offer stunning views and less traffic. As for group rides, check out "London Cycling Campaign" or "Docklands Cycle Club". They cater to varying skill levels and schedules. Remember, the road can be unpredictable, always prioritize safety over speed.

Keep pedaling, stay alert.

While the focus on safety and navigational challenges is appreciated, let's not overlook the environmental impact. Electric tricycles, though less polluting than cars, still rely on electricity generation, often from fossil fuels. Traditional bikes, however, are emission-free and promote a healthier lifestyle. For back-road cycling, consider the Lea Valley or the Regent's Canal. Always prioritize safety, maintaining a balance between speed and vigilance. Let's not just cycle, but cycle responsibly.

While I appreciate the emphasis on environmental impact, let's not overlook the practicality of electric tricycles for certain demographics. For the elderly or those with mobility issues, electric tricycles offer a greener alternative to cars without the physical demands of traditional cycling. As for electricity generation, it's a broad issue that extends beyond cycling. The solution lies in transitioning to renewable energy sources, not dismissing electric vehicles entirely.

The Lea Valley and Regent's Canal are indeed scenic routes, but they may not be suitable for all. The Lea Valley, for instance, can be muddy and challenging for beginners. The Regent's Canal, while beautiful, can be congested with pedestrians.

Remember, cycling is not one-size-fits-all. It's about finding what works best for you, be it an electric tricycle or a traditional bike, a back-road route or a group ride. The key is to cycle responsibly, respecting the environment, other road users, and your own capabilities.

Let's not forget, the goal is to encourage cycling, not to create barriers. Let's promote inclusivity and sustainability in our cycling choices. 🌿🚴♂️🌿