Tire pressures for a 200lb Male on a road bike

Dough Boy

Jun 12, 2012
I know this is a popular question, I have been searching around trying to find the best tire pressure and I am wondering what it would be for a 200lb male on a 700x28 tire. They are Schwalbe Delta Cruiser Tires and the tires indicate minimum pressure of 50 PSI and a Maximum Pressure of 85 PSI however I have read in several areas the a 200lb person should be up over 100 PSI. Should I go by the rating on the tire? Or would another pressure be advisable?

The tire range is provided for that specific tire. Rules of thumb are usually meaningless, too many variables - width, thread count, etc. Wider tires are usually lower pressure and that "rule of thumb" may apply to 23's. Who knows. There is also sometimes rim max pressure which is usually higher than the tires max pressure but possibly not - some rim manufactures provide these as well. Zipp101's recommend less than 125psi, which is lower than some tires max rated pressure. However at your weight you'd likely want to ride closer to the top of any tires given range.

Very often while not conveyed on the tire itself, some manufactures are now providing tables in their literature or websites for rider weight vs. pressure.

i'm 235 anord usaaly put a bit less than max for the tire for 28, 80-85 for shock absorbtion and prevent blowouts

I'm at 255lbs and ride my road(23/25=120psi) and cyclo(32=100psi) at or just under the tires max psi. My 29'r maybe a little less but not much. I also don't worry about my fronts too much, top them once a week. The rears are every other ride.