women-specific touring bikes?

dvk

Mar 15, 2004
I'm looking for a good touring bike to use for both casual road rides and fully loaded tours. As a 5'4" female I've had trouble finding a small-framed bike that doesn't have the front wheel/toe overlap problem (when pedaling a tight turn) or brakes that are hard to squeeze from the hoods (I've got small hands). Terry bikes are a bit out of my price range and I don't like the idea of two different wheel sizes. Are there any touring fans out there who can recommend a bike that fits small women? Also, does anyone have an opinion on touring bikes with flat bars? I've been riding a mtn bike for years so the whole road/touring thing is new territory for me.

Did you look at Cannodale? I just picked up a 500R and they did show me a flat bar version (not the same model but still by Cannondale)

My 500 has 650 wheels (both), no toe overlap and I can't comment on the brakes as it is my first real road bike so I have nothing to compare to.

Diane

Diane

Thanks for the advice. The 650c wheels sound like a good idea but I don't think the Cannondale 500 is a true touring bike. I want the option of fully loaded touring, fenders, wider tires, etc, and don't mind giving up some agility and speed in return. I've actually tried the T2000 touring model and, though it seemed like a nice bike, I experienced the toe overlap and brake grip problems.