Social groups are a feature that allows forum members to create "clubs" to discuss topics of shared interest. This feature will allow forum members with similar interests to have a place to gather and share information, banter away, or to find other forum members in the same geographical area.
How to Set Up a Group
Any forum member can start a social group. Each group will have its own forum and the group page will list the members of the group as well as a "Join" button to allow visitors to join. All content in all Social Groups is publicly visible, but only group members may contribute content and participate. For example, only members of the "Minnesota Golfers" group can post in the "Minnesota Golfer" group forum or upload photos to its gallery.
How to Use Groups
After you've joined one or more Groups, they'll show up in a box on your profile page. When you tag Groups, they can be promoted as "Related Groups" in relevant areas of the site in the same way that Related Forum Threads and Related Articles now appear in the right column of various pages.
There are two types of Social Groups:
- Open membership: anyone may join by clicking the "Join" button.
- Membership by approval: clicking the join button initiates a PM requesting membership that will be sent to the Group Lead for approval.
Group Leads are the members in charge; the member who creates a Group is the first Lead, but that person may appoint additional Group Leads.
What can a Group Lead do?
- Receive join requests (for membership-by-approval groups) and approve/deny them.
- Edit the Group description and change the thumbnail image.
- Ban a member, making it impossible for that member to re-join.
- Remove images from the shared gallery.
- Send a PM to all members at once.
- Promote other members to Group Lead (there can be more than 1 lead in the same Group).
- Demote him/herself to a regular Group member.
- Change the name of the Group.
What can't a Group Lead do?
- Demote another Lead back to a regular member.
- Act as a moderator within the Group forum (e.g., delete/edit others' posts and threads, etc.).
- Leads can't demote each other, but they may demote themselves.
Social Groups Rules
Our rules for the groups are the same as the rest of the site: The short version of which is "use your common sense." Act with respect towards fellow forum members and you won't have any issues. Remember, your posts are public and are visible to fellow members. We're pretty easy going regarding moderation and will allow groups to be created and a variety of topics to be discussed.
In the interests of refining these rules, the following types of groups will not be permitted, and creation of these types of groups may result in some sort of punishment.
- Hate groups
- Religious or Political Groups
- Duplicate groups (especially when they're done so you can become a Leader)
- Spam, advertising, or other such groups (It's okay to create a group like "Mizuno Lovers" so long as you're not a Mizuno employee - and paid sponsors of the site have more latitude and can create groups for their products, of course).