Belgium

Dave Larrington

Guest
Yes, I know it's a very rude word indeed, thank you. However, for reasons which need not concern
us here, I wish to visit the said country with a [by|tri]cycle at Easter. I shall be meeting a
group of Northern Types travelling from Hull to Zeebrugge. I have no particular urge to take my
motorcar to Belgium and leave it in Zeebrugge for the duration, nor do I have much desire to
travel all the way to Hull to get a ferry from there. Nothing against Hull, you understand, but it
/is/ some two hundred miles distant from Larrington Towers. And the last time[1] I went on a ferry
from Hull I was sick.

This, as far as I can tell, leaves:

o Dover - Calais and eighty-odd miles riding to Zeebrugge o Harwich - Hook and ninety-odd miles
riding to Zeebrugge (excluding bonus miles for using fietspads) o swear horribly, stay in Larrington
Towers and spend the money on drink

Any further suggestions, short of stealing a boat from a handy east coast marina,
gratefully received.

1 - though as that was 1968, I may have gotten my sea-legs by now.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:04:02 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes, I know it's a very rude word indeed, thank you. However, for reasons which need not concern us
>here, I wish to visit the said country with a [by|tri]cycle at Easter. I shall be meeting a group
>of Northern Types travelling from Hull to Zeebrugge. I have no particular urge to take my motorcar
>to Belgium and leave it in Zeebrugge for the duration, nor do I have much desire to travel all the
>way to Hull to get a ferry from there. Nothing against Hull, you understand, but it /is/ some two
>hundred miles distant from Larrington Towers. And the last time[1] I went on a ferry from Hull I
>was sick.
>
>This, as far as I can tell, leaves:
>
>o Dover - Calais and eighty-odd miles riding to Zeebrugge o Harwich - Hook and ninety-odd miles
>riding to Zeebrugge (excluding bonus miles for using fietspads) o swear horribly, stay in
>Larrington Towers and spend the money on drink
>
>Any further suggestions, short of stealing a boat from a handy east coast marina, gratefully
>received.
>
>1 - though as that was 1968, I may have gotten my sea-legs by now.

There always used to be Rosyth->Zeebrugge and, more realistically, Dover->Ostend. Acording to
www.viamichelin.com (far superior to other route planners as also tells you where to eat &
sleep)Zeebrugge is only 16 miles and four good restaurants away.

However, I may be wrong. I may have been infected with my wife's inability-to-navigate-abroad
syndrome. I mean, how long would most people drive for before spotting the Boulogne/Bologna error?
Wouldn't there be clues such as unexpected Alps or border crossings?

> This, as far as I can tell, leaves:
>
> o Dover - Calais and eighty-odd miles riding to Zeebrugge

There is "norfolk line" doing ferries for truckers to the very grim port of dunkirk (not quite ... a
bit to the west) This will save you about 15-20 miles.

>o swear horribly, stay in Larrington Towers and spend the money on drink

You are Father Jack and I claim my five pounds.

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

[Not Responding] wrote:

> There always used to be Rosyth->Zeebrugge and, more realistically, Dover->Ostend. Acording to
> www.viamichelin.com (far superior to other route planners as also tells you where to eat &
> sleep)Zeebrugge is only 16 miles and four good restaurants away.

The Rosyth crossing is still there, but that's about twice as far from Larrington Towers as Hull.
Dover - Ostend, though, is extinct, chiz, otherwise I should go on that one. Further investigation
shows that Dover-Dunkirk with Norfolk Line /may/ be a goer; however, their online booking system is
so hopelessly brain-damaged it's difficult to tell.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

>> o swear horribly, stay in Larrington Towers and spend the money on drink
>>

> You are Father Jack and I claim my five pounds.

You lose!

"If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!" - Sir Henry Rawlinson.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Yes, I know it's a very rude word indeed, thank you. However, for reasons which need not concern
> us here, I wish to visit the said country with a [by|tri]cycle at Easter. I shall be meeting a
> group of Northern Types travelling from Hull to Zeebrugge. I have no particular urge to take my
> motorcar to Belgium and leave it in Zeebrugge for the duration, nor do I have much desire to
> travel all the way to Hull to get a ferry from there. Nothing against Hull, you understand, but it
> /is/ some two hundred miles distant from Larrington Towers. And the last time[1] I went on a ferry
> from Hull I was sick.
>
> This, as far as I can tell, leaves:
>
> o Dover - Calais and eighty-odd miles riding to Zeebrugge o Harwich - Hook and ninety-odd miles
> riding to Zeebrugge (excluding bonus miles for using fietspads) o swear horribly, stay in
> Larrington Towers and spend the money on drink

I would go for the Hook as every time I've been to Les Pays Bas the wind is blowing in a
Zeebruggewards direction (but will it be in a Hoekwards direction on the way back?)Shame about the
Ostend catamaran, the only time I used it it was almost brand new and took 1'10'' to get to
Ramsgate. Another advantage of going via Hook is that you can enjoy Fish N Chips, just not from the
same shop ;-)

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<bum4da$j14c3> This, as far as I can tell, leaves:

snipped

> o Dover - Calais and eighty-odd miles riding to Zeebrugge o Harwich - Hook and ninety-odd miles
> riding to Zeebrugge (excluding bonus miles for using fietspads) o swear horribly, stay in
> Larrington Towers and spend the money on drink
>
> Any further suggestions, short of stealing a boat from a handy east coast marina, gratefully
> received.
>
>How about cheapest Dover - Calais crossing then cycle over Belgian
Border followed by train to destination in Belgium. (apparently cross border with a bike on train is
more of a problem. See http://www.b-rail.be/rnvn/E/info/luggage/train_and_bike.html Iain