Little Van Child Trailer Tyres

Tim Steele

Guest
Hmm.. very odd this. After about 600 miles the tyres on our Little Van Child
Trailer have worn.. one looks like it's hardly worn and the other is showing
a light yellow strip all the way around which looks like the carcass.
They're 20" x 1.75" no-name brand.

The odd thing is that the tyres are pumped to the same pressure always (not
particularly hard so the kids get a softish ride), the bearings feel just
the same and the wheels are randomly fitted to either side of the trailer
when we go out. The tyres came with the trailer from new and look identical
apart from the very different wear pattern.

Any ideas why?

Also, any suggestions for a suitable replacement? I was thinking maybe
Schwalbe. But cheap is good ;-)

Tim

in message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Tim Steele wrote:
>> Also, any suggestions for a suitable replacement? I was thinking
>> maybe Schwalbe. But cheap is good ;-)

> Cheap BMX tyres would probably do the job quite adequately. And you
> can
> find them an a variety of snazzy colours :)

Hmmm! What standard are BMX wheels? Are they 406? Can you stick a
Stelvio on one?

Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
to transfer it by HTTP.

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Cheap BMX tyres would probably do the job quite adequately. And
> > you can find them an a variety of snazzy colours :)

> Hmmm! What standard are BMX wheels? Are they 406? Can you stick a
> Stelvio on one?

Normally 20x1.75 front and 20x2.125 rear.

With the resurgence in BMXing they should be easily available.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

Simon Brooke wondered:
> Hmmm! What standard are BMX wheels? Are they 406? Can you stick a
> Stelvio on one?

I've used a Marathon in the past on my 20" unicycle wheel, which usually
takes a cheap BMX tyre. It's currently fitted with a 47-406 (20" x
1.75") cheap BMX tyre.

(The Marathon's a great tyre on a bike, but it's hopeless for unicycle
hockey).

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:13:53 GMT, "Tim Steele"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>They're 20" x 1.75"

You need to find out if they are 406 or 451 - both are readily
available from All Good Sith Temples (e.g. Bikefix in London) as long
as you know what actual size.

406 is marginally more likely, I think, as that is the BMX size, yes?
However, the fact rtemains that a shop which sells recumbents will
probably stock both.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

in message <[email protected]>, Sandy Morton
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Cheap BMX tyres would probably do the job quite adequately. And
>> > you can find them an a variety of snazzy colours :)

>> Hmmm! What standard are BMX wheels? Are they 406? Can you stick a
>> Stelvio on one?

> Normally 20x1.75 front and 20x2.125 rear.

A little reading (AASHTA) determined that BMX wheels /are/ 406, and that
406 Stelvios are available. So a BMX fork probably will form at least
the Mk 1 fork for the wooden bike. I'm still a bit concerned about rake
and trail, but doubtless I'll work it out.

;; First they came for the asylum seekers,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not an asylum seeker.
;; Then they came for the gypsies,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not a gypsy...
;; Pastor Martin Niemöller, translated by Michael Howard.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:13:53 GMT, "Tim Steele"
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>They're 20" x 1.75"

>You need to find out if they are 406 or 451 - both are readily
>available from All Good Sith Temples (e.g. Bikefix in London) as long
>as you know what actual size.
>
>406 is marginally more likely, I think, as that is the BMX size, yes?

And the usual 20" childs bike size, and more likely to be labelled
1.75" rather than 1 3/4". (In fact 451 generally seems to be 1 1/8 or 1 3/8.)

The tyres are marked SUPER EAST Made in Taiwan 47-406 (20 x 1.75) INFLATE TO
40 PSI

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:04:10 GMT, "Tim Steele"
<[email protected]>:

>The tyres are marked SUPER EAST Made in Taiwan 47-406 (20 x 1.75) INFLATE TO
>40 PSI

OK. Your bike shop can work with that data. You probably want
something robust which pumps up to a decent pressure to keep the
rolling resistance down.

A set of, say, Schwalbe Marathon 406 (20x1.75) and pump them up
reasonably firmly, say 60psi. They should last a good long time and
be reasonably puncture resistant. Not the cheapest, but very good
tyres.

http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b53s122p165

(completely at random from Google, for illustrative purposes only).

Alternatively ask your bike shop if they can order some in for you. I
think that Conti do the Top Touring in 406 as well, that's another
good tyre.

I'd avoid the no-name brands, you want something with decent puncture
resistance. But that's just my opinion.

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> OK. Your bike shop can work with that data. You probably want
> something robust which pumps up to a decent pressure to keep the
> rolling resistance down.
>
> A set of, say, Schwalbe Marathon 406 (20x1.75) and pump them up
> reasonably firmly, say 60psi.

Generally speaking I like Schwalbe but I don't see the point of having tyres
pumped up hard on the trailer. The tyres provide the only suspension really
for the kids so softer tyres are in order I think.

Tim

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:01:21 GMT, "Tim Steele"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Generally speaking I like Schwalbe but I don't see the point of having tyres
>pumped up hard on the trailer. The tyres provide the only suspension really
>for the kids so softer tyres are in order I think.

For me, 60psi /is/ low pressure :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

A visit to the estimable University Cycles in Cambridge sorted me out. I'm
now the proud owner of two Duro tyres which have a central rib so run
smoothly on the road although they aren't completely slick.

Cheers

Tim