Is my unicycle f*cked

chimpo

Guest
hey i have recently purchased a unicycle from ebay, your bog standered
unicycle. 3 weeks later i road to college, and upd'ed loads of times
and couldn't see why, later i relised than my hub was not right. if
held the wheel and aplyed pressure to the pedel it would move. meaning
that i didnt have 100% controle of my wheel .therefor if i was riding
then stoped moving the pedals i would keep going,then fall.

is my hub f*cked or is it fixable.

--
chimpo
chimpo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11610

I think in a public forum frequented by males and females of all ages
groups, backgrounds and cultures, br*ken or dam*aged, or irr*pairable
would be so much nicer as a thread title.:p

I can see three places there could be movement:

Hold the wheel steady. Can you wobble either of the cranks? If so,
then the cranks are loose. Easily rectified. 14 mm socket spanner.

If the cranks are tight, can you hold the unicycle frame still and
wobble the wheel? if so, then the bearing clamps may be loose. Easily
rectified: usually a 10mm or 11mm spanner.

If the bearing clamps are tight, and you can hold the unicycle still
and wobble the rim, then maybe the spokes are loose. Easily rectified
by a local bike shop.

There is a tiny chance that the hub is broken, but not with normal
riding and UPDs.

--
Mikefule

"...some of the basic stuff, like not killing each other, should be
relatively obvious to anyone."

John Foss, the unicycling philosopher, goes right to the point.:)

This is unclear. If you hold your wheel your pedal will move by how
much? Is it a fraction of an inch or several revolutions? Small motion
under those conditions indicates a loose crank. Several revolutions
indicates a faulty hub. What type of hub is it? Is it splined or does
it have cotterless tapers?

Was the thread title you chose really necessary? I think "Is my hub
broken?" might be a better choice becauses it both addresses the
problem and avoids any insinuation of lewdness.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

harper wrote:
> Was the thread title you chose really necessary? I think "Is my hub
> broken?" might be a better choice becauses it both addresses the
> problem and avoids any insinuation of lewdness.

Seriously...there are people who are easily offended by that kinda
stuff

--
monkeyman

Trying to think up a sig since 2/11/06
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

monkeyman wrote:
> Seriously...there are people who are easily offended by that kinda stuff

I'm offended by the title also but don't worry I won't go and burn your
embassy I have self control.:p

Anyways my brother has a cotter pin unicycle that the cotter pins come
loose quite often and gets quite a bit of play which sounds like what
you're describing.
Do you're cranks slide on to a square fitting or do they have a pin
that goes through them?... if they have the pin you need to tighten the
nut on the one side which tightens the pin. If they have the square
then just tighten the nut like mentioned above.

--
Victory
Victory's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10062

Victory wrote:
> I'm offended by the title also but don't worry I won't go and burn your
> embassy I have self control.:p

Wow. Chimpo has an embassy?

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

My Lords, Ladies and gentlemen may I introduce to you the amabassador
for the People's Democratic Republic of Chimpo.

I wasn't offended by your thread title...But that's just me. However, I
understand that others can be offended by what I write so I moderate my
language accordingly.

--
MrBoogiejuice

If quizzes are quizzical what are tests?

Make crumbs not War!
MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

right, may first appolgise to all those who were offened by my choice of
words,on recards the topic name, and a lil more detail for those are
interested

rite. if i hold both pedals still, the wheels still moves even tho both
kranks and still. the whole wheel moves and the cranks stay still.

its alright on the level ground but up hills my wheel slips really bad,
same as if i stop, or acelerate

--
chimpo
chimpo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11610

hey your lucky then...you got a freewheel uni and you didnt even work on
it...i wish i could do that.

--
trials_uni

'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
informative post go now! edited today!
Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
(http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
unicyclists in your area!
Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

This sounds like the axle is slipping inside the hub. It sounds as if it
were pressed in and has become loose. If so, it is probably trash. If
it is pressed with a keyway and the key came out it can probably be
fixed. Do you have a photo of the thing? Maybe someone will recognize
it and can tell you how it's assembled. A photo of the unicycle and a
photo of the hub and cranks. If it is not a fancy unicycle you might be
able to get a new one for what it would cost you in time and money to
fix the old one. Photos are easy to post but should be resized to no
more than 640 pixels wide.

--

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:49:15 -0600, harper wrote:

>Photos are easy to post but should be resized to no
>more than 640 pixels wide.

I think that's incorrect - at least if you're talking about what the
software allows. Rather, photos should fit inside a 800 x 800 pixels
box.

chimpo wrote:
> hey i have recently purchased a unicycle from ebay... 3 weeks later i
> rode to college

That's one more of us and one less of them.

monkeyman wrote:
> Seriously...there are people who are easily offended by that kinda stuff

Seriously, most of us just want this to stay a 'family friendly'
website where parents feel secure to let their kids freely browse
around for unicycling related info.
This place is a wonderfull tool for the growth of the unicycling
community and unicycling as a sport and I think it's worth dialing back
our language just a bit to make sure that it remains as widely
accessible as possible.

I'm not continuing the issue, I'm simply explaining -why- it is that I,
for one, took umbrage at the thread title.

Back to that hub.
'Here's a thread' (http://tinyurl.com/ae5zx) with some pictures of a
hub problem (and a dodgy thread title?).
I'm not sure if this will help you.
I would at this point suggest that you get it down to your LBS (local
B*ke Shop) and ask them if they can diagnose and fix the problem.
Unless you're a serious DIYer, the problem (if fixable) will probably
need professional attention.
If you can get the pics up easily, do so, there are some people on
these fora who really know their stuff and can probably help you
diagnose the problem. But if it's going to be a hassle getting the pics
up, save yourself the trouble and get it to a pro.

Welcome to the fora, let us know how it turns out.

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
(http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

Chimpo

if your unicycle hub is broken like it soonds as if it is, after only 3
weeks of normal riding, it sounds like it was faulty. Was it new or
used when you bought it from ebay? If new I would ask them to replace
it, alot of the people on ebay are actually stores so you have rights.

If it was really cheap and not new it might not be worth fixing, it
might be cheaper to get a new one since a new hub would be $20.

But I would complain to the guy who sold it to you, just watch your
language!

jim

--
Jim
Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416

yes i emailed the seller and told him the problen and he says he will
send me a new wheel , problem solved, thanks for all your good advice,
and once again i am terebly sorry for my choice of words,concerning the
forum title, it will not happen again

--

chimpo wrote:
> yes i emailed the seller and told him the problen and he says he will
> send me a new wheel , problem solved, thanks for all your good advice,
> and once again i am terebly sorry for my choice of words,concerning the
> forum title, it will not happen again

It's alright, we all get 1 mess-up
Then we come after you...

--

chimpo wrote:
> yes i emailed the seller and told him the problen and he says he will
> send me a new wheel , problem solved,

Good deal. This is just a different kind of "freewheel" on a unicycle.
Must have been an eBay store that you got it from. Too bad you have to
wait but glad you don't have to pay through the nose to get it fixed.