Normandy hub threading?

Mark Beattie

Guest
I would like to use the Normandy hubs that came with my Mercier for single-speed purposes but I'm
wondering if anyone happens to know what the threading on the hubs is, whether it's metric,
standard, or other, and where i can source single speed freewheels to match it if it's
non-standard. Thanks.

Mark Beattie Portland, OR

[email protected] (Mark Beattie) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I would like to use the Normandy hubs that came with my Mercier for single-speed purposes but I'm
> wondering if anyone happens to know what the threading on the hubs is, whether it's metric,
> standard, or other, and where i can source single speed freewheels to match it if it's
> non-standard. Thanks.
>
> Mark Beattie Portland, OR

It's either standard or French. In all probability it's standard.

I know of no source for French-thread single freewheels. Sheldon's webpages are always helpful:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#freewheels

If it is indeed French thread, I recommend heading over to Citybikes (20th and Ankeny) and getting a
similar, standard threaded hub from their used parts bins.

Oddly enough, I have an old "Schwinn Approved" Normandy hub shell sitting by my computer right now.
It's keeping the clutter in one place

Jeff

Depends when it was made. Up through the mid-70's, they were probably French. They later switched to
BSI, even for French-brand cycles.