or Connect

Posts by Piotr

Quote: Originally Posted by choffman My hourly training in the spring time is around 6-10 hrs a week. Once you have endurance, you should focus on strength and power. I do have a real job and family, so my time to train is limited like others. However, to stay competitive, I do some very tough hill repeats lasting 4-6 minutes each. Cat 1 Cameron Hoffman Pure Endurance Yeah, some people (ahem, Cameron) can win Lotoja 3 times on 6-10 hrs a week. What does...
NomadVW!
Quote: Originally Posted by frenchyge That's really cool! What's Tom's screenname? For the life of me I can't remember, but he's the military guy who raced in Japan then moved back to the U.S. He used to frequent the power forums quite a bit over the years. I went to his blog occasionally and through it (I guess) learned his name. He came back to the forum not long ago after a hiatus, around the same time as RDO and SOT. I'll see if I can find out.
VeloNews.com - U.S. Military Team to race for Wounded Warrior Project I just wanted to point out that one of our CF members is on the featured team, so if they go by your town, give Tom and the team a shout and donate here: http://www.cycleanywhere.com/wordpress/ Sorry, I haven't been here in a while so I apologize if this is redundant (nothing in search results would indicate it). I just spotted him in the article and thought it was worth sharing.
Quote: Originally Posted by Alex Simmons Quote: Originally Posted by acoggan Quote: Originally Posted by Piotr Guys, Where's the point of diminishing returns is probably very individualistic. Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to figure that out? ..... stay tuned I take it..... Aha!!! TSS2.
I make a distinction between sprinting and going as hard as you can. This may be just semantics, but sprinting should be neuromuscular in nature. You can go as hard as you can for any length of time, but IMO you only sprint when you accellerate (under most conditions, certainly not sprinting up a steep hill or against gale force winds). As a rule of thumb if you can't accellerate anymore, your sprint is done. This is why the power profiling chart uses 5 second power not...
To be a good climber, it helps to be a lightweight slow-twitcher. Based on your particular body build, high W/kg may or may not be your lot, but one way you can improve your climbing skills is to do long intervals (20-60 min) without stopping. It helps to have long canyon roads to practice, but it can be accomplished indoors as well. The emphasis should be on longish non-stop efforts. Short intervals may make you stronger, but they'll give you a false sense of climbing...
LA Can't Do It This article used to link to some wind tunnel photos that showed LA's sub-par CdA. The linked photos and articles have been removed since.
That Stuart Smalley crap ain't gonna give you MORE COWBELL ! (preferably measured in Watts)
Funny you should ask, because I just had such a day today. I planned on 1 hr L4 hard indoors (1h 15 min total) and considered yesterday's short sprint session (first in 2-3 months) to be just an "opener" ride. After 15 minutes I knew L4 wasn't going to happen so I backed off to L3 for another 15 minutes to finish off a 30 min interval, cooled down for 10, and I was done after only 50 min total. I thought that trying to finish full 60 even at L3 would not be smart, since...