or Connect

Posts by JoelS

Those 3 sites are loaded with generalities.  I've spent quite a bit of time over the last 2 weeks speaking with wheelbuilders over the phone.  As a result I've learned quite a bit.  Based on those conversations, I have no qualms going with CF rims and appropriate pads.  They should provide 4-6 years or so of life before the braking surface is wore out and they need replacing (based on my mileage and a very honest look at how I ride), and it's possible they'll go longer...
Do NOT ever rely on a bike shop to tell you if your shoes fit.  Take those back and then start a real search for shoes.   Go to every shop within whatever you consider a reasonable driving distance.  Try on every shoe they have in your size.  Put weight on the front of the shoe as if you are pedaling, and stand there for a few minutes.  Are they comfy?  Notice any hotspots?  Make sure the straps aren't tight (they only need to keep your feet from pulling out of the...
I really like the Hincapie bibshorts and jersey our club got this year.  Fit well and comfy.
Thanks for the suggestions folks.  I'm slowly nailing it down.  Once the bike is built (3 months or so from now), I'll make sure to post pictures.
I've got these hubs (alchemy) and spokes (radial 20 up front, x2 24 in back - I weigh in at 150lbs) laced up to the Kinlin 270 rim on my current bike.  Very fast wheels comparatively.  Still working on rims.  38's are probably going to be perfect for me, and the wheelset specs in at ~1367 grams.  That's over 120 grams lighter than my current wheels, which should be noticeable when climbing, and the deeper rims will be faster everywhere else.  All in all, I'm liking it....
I'm slowly getting it nailed down.  Right now, looks like I'm going to go with handbuilds.  Alchemy hubs, CXRay spokes.  Rims are still up in the air.  Might be going carbon fiber....   With 38mm rims, they'll go 1367grams.  However, there is a 20mm CF rim available too....
Long story short...  Coming into some money.  Getting a new bike.  Very likely to be a full custom Guru Photon, dressed up with Campy Record.   I'm trying to figure out wheels now.  HED Ardennes CF are on the list.  As are Easton EA90 SLX.  Also considering handbuilt.     Anyone got a favorite lightweight clincher wheel that you'd recommend?  For all round riding and LOTS of climbing.
I've been running Campy since '97. Mirage and Chorus groups. I've not once had any of the trouble which you mention. My latest build, finished last November, is Chorus-11. I haven't had a make a single adjustment since I built it. Though I did change the chain at 2400 miles. It doesn't last as long as the 9sp chains. I've got close to 3000 miles on that bike now. My other long term build is also Chorus, but 9sp. Built in '98. I don't think I've ever made...
Anyone out there in the Sacramento, CA area? I'm a little east of there and always looking for more folks to ride with.
Joel, from near Sacramento, CA. Stay at home dad. Roadie. Tried to join this forum several months ago and only just recently granted posting permission. Go figure?