or Connect

Posts by xpc316e

Hi John,   I'd guess that at 6'4" a 57cm frame would probably prove too small for you.  I recommend Steve Hogg's bikefitting site  http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/  it dispels some of the myths and 'rules' about bike fit.    
If the Australian hazard perception test is anything like the one iin the UK, it will be rubbish.  Hazard perception is extremely important, but the test in the UK involves only clicking a mouse every time a hazard appears during a video clip.  A lot of very experienced Police drivers have failed it for clicking too early, clicking too often, etc.  Passing the test, as my daughter has done, is not an indicator of being a safe driver - she is awful!
I am just over 6'00" and tip the scales at around 260lbs.  I am at my most comfortable wearing padded lycra shorts, particularly bibs as they have no waistband - if you have no waist, you don't need shorts with a waistband :)   I have quite a few pairs and find that expensive isn't always the most comfortable, because of the place in which the pad is positioned.  My favorite shorts cost under £20.   In order to prevent people from having to bleach their eyeballs,...
I rode a Brompton before I bought a Dahon Jetstream P8.  The Brompton folds extremely well, and would be the choice if I were carrying it on trains etc., but I was very disappointed by the ride.  For me, it was twitchy, uncomfortable, and had an odd feeling that the rear wheel was tucked too far in under my centre of gravity.  The Dahon is still a bit twitchy, but it rides almost like a conventional bike.  The fold is not as small, but seeing as it only goes in the trunk...
What a strange post: in one breath you agree with Ray who basically says 'ride what you like, as long as you're riding nothing else matters.'  Then you go on to run down riders who have the cash to spend on something more expensive. Am I not allowed to buy a few carbon bits because I don't ride flat out all the time, and carry some extra weight myself?  The commuters on their carbon confections that you laugh at are at least riding their bikes.  Just accept that it takes...
Well Alienator, you know what they say - 'there's none so blind as him who will not see'. You may not be sufficiently attuned to your machine as to be aware of what you deem to be small effects on performance, but that does not necessarily apply to the rest of us.
Quote: Originally Posted by alienator Total BS. It's been shown that the effect on bike acceleration on lighter wheels is small. Proof. Your advice is about the worst a person could give. Having looked at your link to the mathematcial proof that my post is BS, as you so eloquently describe it, may I point out that the proof that you cite deals with climbing hills and rotational mass? I was talking about the acceleration of rotating mass - it is a totally...
Quote: Originally Posted by alienator Total BS. It's been shown that the effect on bike acceleration on lighter wheels is small. Proof. Your advice is about the worst a person could give. That's just so pleasant of you to reply to my post in such a reasoned, polite manner. Your beautiful way of interacting with others goes a long way in continuing the special relationship that exists humans with a common interest. I love you too.
Carbon rims are going to kill you for sure. I recommend that you do not sell them - give them away immediately to me and I will look after them for you. I am so concerned for your personal safety that I am even offering to pay for the carriage.
I weigh 260 lbs and recently bought a bike with an aluminium frame, carbon forks and carbon seat stays. I love the way it rides; it is as comfortable as my Dahon folder with front & rear suspension. The bike is stable, but alive in a really inspiring way. Losing a few pounds from the weight of your bike has a far greater effect than losing the same weight from your body. Try riding a bike with lightweight wheels to find out how a small amount of mass removed from...