or Connect

Posts by lisan

Just curious what everyone's political leanings are... I'm a Democrat; but if John McCain had been nominated in 2000, I would have easily voted for him. Lisa
Quote: Originally posted by bioguy A new book called "Hating America: The New World Sport" suggests a couple of things. First, that the U.S. is generally hated by the world. Second that our historic allies are not our friends. Questions: 1. Where are you from? 2. Do you hate the U.S.? 3. Did we deserve to be attacked on 9/11? 1. Dallas, TX 2. No 3. Of course not... All of that said; I do not agree with the war in Iraq. I'm a Democrat and will vote...
Quote: Originally posted by BlueIcarus Hi Lisa, I live in Madrid, Spain: one of the most polluted city in Europe (if not the most) and am still wondering if my morning post-ride fatigue (only 5 conmute kms each way... I do 40-50 km in weekend days and have no fatigue!!) is due to the carbone monoxide (and other pollution contaminants) inhalation or to not warming-up properly.... have you had any remarkable feelings after a 'polluted' ride? Cheers from Spain, Oscar...
Just wondering what your opinions are? It has a remote tension adjustment (which sounds great) and is supposed to be quieter than the CycleOps. Thoughts? Lisa
errgghhh.... I JUST started commuting on my bike this week; and today, the American Lung Assoc. names DFW as #10 on the most polluted cities. Looks like I won't be cycling in on "ozone alert" days...errggh...I guess I need to go shopping for a trainer, since I don't bike in on rain days, either (too dangerous, IMO). Anyone else live in a "polluted" city? Lisa
Quote: Originally posted by Saucy For my daily commute, I take: 1) Small pump 2) Spare bike tube 3) Patch kit (for the second flat that will inevitably occur 5 minutes after your first flat) 4) Plastic tire levers Thanks! I picked up all of the above yesterday, when I picked up my bike from the shop. Glad to hear that I got everything I need. Quote: Originally posted by Saucy For longer trips/commutes, I take: 5) multi-tool (allen keys, screwdrivers...
I am waiting to get into a maintenance class at the local bike shop; but until that time, what should I carry with me for basic tire changes, etc? I'm commuting about 12 miles to/from work and had a flat on my way home yesterday (my first day cycling to work!). I always carry my cell phone and my mother-in-law picked me up (she's home at that time of day). I was embarrassed, though, that I didn't have a pump or anything else necessary to fix my flat. So, what do I...
I live in the DFW area and just rode to work for the first time today...and, yes, it was much easier than I thought. One thing that helped was I drove my route (and several alternative routes) the week before just to check out the shoulder on the road and other hazards. I also agree that the slower traffic (even when there's more of it) is much safer than the occasional, but 80 mph race car, that may or may not register that a cyclists is a few feet away. Also,...
Thanks everyone for your great advice...I'll look for a Cycle Ops 2 trainer and some good shorts. I've done marathon training before, so I know all about staying nourished and hydrated (I'm a big fan of Gu!). Thanks again...I really appreciate the great advice. Lisa
Any suggestions for a good training program for the Hotter 'n Hell 100? It will be my first 100-miler. I have ridden a 40 mile ride (with hardly any training for it) and had no problem with it...but I realize that a 100-mile ride it equivalent to marathon training. Any suggestions for a good 12-week training program? Also, what should I do to build a base before starting the 12-week training program? I also work full-time and have a toddler; so I need advice on a good...