or Connect

Posts by sopas

Quote: Originally Posted by davidbod As a side note Miguel Indurain like Lance had a hard time finishing tours on his first few attempts as well. Yes in their early tour years Miguel was a domestique and Lance stricly was in it for stage victories, but I do not believe Miguel could have won a tour prior to his own weight loss. Prior to his first of 5 successive wins, Indurain lost 28lbs. Doing the calculations on a rider losing that much weight, Indurain was...
Quote: Originally Posted by mattp71 Yes I will keep my mouth shut as soon as the spanish people quit learning to just run there mouth and pedal. When the spanish actually start doing something in the tour, rather than saying they will do something in the tour then they will get the respect they need. Heras, Mayo, Zubelia, thanks for the laughs! Especially Mayo, you see him almost crying on the mountain stage? If I remember correctly I seem to recall Beloki crying...
Quote: Originally Posted by mattp71 With all the other so called 'tour contenders' that forgot to pedal there bikes in June when they saw Armstrong lose 2 minutes on the Ventoux TT. Lance sandbagged that TT, and it worked brilliantly. Too brilliantly. Next year the society of the tour will make Lance ride the tour on a unicycle, and even then he would probably find a way to win. Beloki should have showed up, ran his mouth like the others, get dropped on all the...
Indurain had one of the biggest lung capacity with about 8 litres. Ullrich has about 6.5 litres. I don't know Armstrong but if one looks at his size he hardly has more than 7 litres. The great Eddy Mercxk was a big guy too, and had 7,5 litre lung capacity. But keep in mind that lung capacity is not everything. I am sure we could find many riders in the peloton that have more lung capacity than Armstrong and yet they are worst riders.
Quote: Originally Posted by limerickman I was at Alpe D'Huez and Guzet Neige in 1995. Pantani won both stages and was blasting. I was there to see Miguel Indurain : on both days, he was blasting but he was breathing heavily which is normal. he was breathing so heavily, that you could see his torso expand and contradict like a bellows as he was climbing both climbs. His mouth was wide open and his rib cage flexing was clearly visible. I have seen none of this...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dermo What a media invention this lad is. He cant even give a straight answer. So his failure in the TDF is down to the weather or sickness or weight. The same excuses year after year after year. I dont understand why the media build up this man. ITV paradoxically extolling him while giving Armstrong grudging praise as Armstong destroys him day after day after day. The simple fact is Ullrich is not even approaching the same...
Quote: Originally Posted by 13001 Found this on www.letour.fr: Le record de l'ascension toujours pour Pantani Alors que le temps réalisé par l'Italien en 199è était de 3'35", Lance Armstrong a échoué à une secondes, son ascension ayant été chronométrée en 37'36" In other words: Pantani's 37'35 remains the fastest time! 1. L Armstrong (US) 39:41.47 Actually Armstrong's time is very far behind thre 37:35 made by Pantani. Of course Pantani's time remains the...
Quote: Originally Posted by tcklyde I believe that it's not that LA's opponents are poorer but that racing has just changed. In today's environment, dominated by the amazing specificity of today's sports medicine, you train to peak at a very specific moment. It's just not possible to race consistently throughout the year. LA trains harder than early season races would demand. And, it's not just LA. Ullrich, Mayo, Heras, Hamilton, and all of the predicted...
Quote: Originally Posted by limerickman That's right. Marco opened up a gap that day at the bottom of the Alpe D'Huez and broke away from the field. As Marco went, Miguel was beside his super domestique Gerard Rue. He turned to Rue and said "pull over" and Miguel started chasing Marco going up the Alp D'Huez. Marco flew by us. And as Miguel approached, I saw him doing something that you rarely saw him do. He actually got out of the saddle when he was putting the...
Indurain vs. Armstrong- A 1992 Indurain when his time trialing was on another level never seen in the Tour before would have made for an interesting match up with a 2001 Armstrong. It is hard to say who would win, but when I remember Indurain's Luxemburg TT of 1992....... Yes, Riis in 1996 was in great shape. He climbed Hautacam in 40 seconds less than the time made by Indurain and Leblanc in 1994!!! THat doesn't mean that Riis would have beaten Indurain in his prime...