or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Removing orange segment membranes

post #1 of 5
x-no-archive: yes

Depends on the orange. If the membrane seems tight, your
best bet is to peel the orange, but not separate the
segments. Put it on the cutting board and slice the segments
free of the membranes.

I've been using ruby grapefruits (highly recommended, along
with tangerines) in fruit salads. With those, and with some
oranges, I sometimes ditch the knife and just peel the
membrane away from each segment with my fingers. Make a
notch in the middle and inside of each section, and then
peel away from there. It's about as fast and you waste less.
Peel them right over the bowl you're mixing the salad in, to
catch any stray juice.

Naomi D.
post #2 of 5

Re: Removing orange segment membranes

>puncturing the membrane with the tip of a paring knife
>and then slipping the blade under the membrane to slice
>it off the pulp

That's more or less the way I do it, not worrying about the
third side (circumference) membrane, which can stay and
helps hold the segment together. Optional for oranges;
necessary for grapefruit.

Neil
post #3 of 5

Re: Removing orange segment membranes

> LenS lenston

Mom used to remove the
>membranes from the navel orange segment, but I couldn't
>remember how she did it.
>
>I experimented and found a difficult way to do the chore,
>specifically puncturing the membrane with the tip of a
>paring knife and then slipping the blade under the membrane
>to slice it off the pulp. More laborious than it sounds.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this?

Perhaps you're mom is an obsessive-compulsive... normal
brained folks don't remove the membrane from navel
oranges... are you sure it wasn't grapefruit... or maybe you
remember her picking the lint from your pupik... hehe

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
post #4 of 5

Re: Removing orange segment membranes

In article <i85950pd3b08kmc1kmgautktges78atgsr@4ax.com>,
lenston@nospam.worldnet.att.net says...

> Everything went well until I remembered that Mom used to
> remove the membranes from the navel orange segment, but I
> couldn't remember how she did it.
>
> I experimented and found a difficult way to do the
> chore, specifically puncturing the membrane with the tip
> of a paring knife and then slipping the blade under the
> membrane to slice it off the pulp. More laborious than
> it sounds.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this?

The technique you're referring to is called 'supreming'.
There's a photograph and explanation here:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...=content&id=c-
hannel1427

If that line wraps, you can use this link:

http://tinyurl.com/2wtxb
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

Re: Removing orange segment membranes

In article <MPG.1abe65571281f73b9896c1@news.west.earthlink.net>, Donna
Rose <dSPAM@BLOCKix.netcom.com> wrote:

> The technique you're referring to is called 'supreming'.
> There's a photograph and explanation here:

Thanks. I've been using the technique but couldn't remember
what it was called. I use a small serrated salame, or
tomato, knife which seems to work best for trimming away
pith and cutting alongside membrane.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition