Technical Question Regarding Sakae BB

Etaoin Shrdlu

Guest
All -

I have (get all the **** on my desk out of the way so I can type!) a Sakae CR double crank that I'd
like to make into a triple. The crank spider has 110 mm BCD, with the granny gear at 74 mm BCD.

The markings on the BB axle are:

E311 3U

The axle is solid (not hollow, like my Sugino BB), and the ends are threaded for the locknut. The
threads are external threads, and the locknut has an integral washer with teeth (like a lockwasher).

I don't happen to know the width of the BB shell (I used to know how to read a vernier caliper, but
that was long ago).

I'd prefer not to get a whole new BB & crankset. Where can I obtain a longer BB axle? I've looked on
Loose Screws for a start.

Thanks!

Phil

>I'd prefer not to get a whole new BB & crankset. Where can I obtain a longer BB axle?

Most likely your local bike shop will have one. Many of the old triples required BB brackets that
were 122 or 127mm but most decent LBSs will stock decent cartridge BBs that should be around $20.
They will probably also have an axle for somewhat less.

Most of the BBs which used nuts rather than bolts were not the highest quality so now might be a
good time to switch the cartridge BBs which are normally better sealed. A special installation tool
is needed for these.

jon isaacs

Jon Isaacs wrote:

> >I'd prefer not to get a whole new BB & crankset. Where can I obtain a longer BB axle?
>
> Most likely your local bike shop will have one. Many of the old triples required BB brackets that
> were 122 or 127mm but most decent LBSs will stock decent cartridge BBs that should be around $20.
> They will probably also have an axle for somewhat less.
>
> Most of the BBs which used nuts rather than bolts were not the highest quality so now might be a
> good time to switch the cartridge BBs which are normally better sealed. A special installation
> tool is needed for these.
>
> jon isaacs

jon -

Thanks for your reply.

How can I be sure that the 4-square taper on the crank will fit a new BB axle? Were these sorts of
things highly standardized?

Phil

In article <[email protected]>, Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:
>All -
>
>I have (get all the **** on my desk out of the way so I can type!) a Sakae CR double crank that I'd
>like to make into a triple. The crank spider has 110 mm BCD, with the granny gear at 74 mm BCD.
>
>The markings on the BB axle are:
>
> E311 3U
>
>The axle is solid (not hollow, like my Sugino BB), and the ends are threaded for the locknut. The
>threads are external threads, and the locknut has an integral washer with teeth (like a
>lockwasher).
>
>I don't happen to know the width of the BB shell (I used to know how to read a vernier caliper, but
>that was long ago).
>
>I'd prefer not to get a whole new BB & crankset. Where can I obtain a longer BB axle? I've looked
>on Loose Screws for a start.

The "3" in "3U" means it's a spindle designed for a 68mm BB shell such as English or French. If it
said "5" it would be Italian/70mm.

Now go to http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html and search in that page for "3U". It will take you
to a chart showing the 3-series spindle dimensions.

The 3U is what I would call a long spindle.

--Paul

A Muzi wrote:

> > Forwarded from rec.bicycles.misc:
> > > I have (get all the **** on my desk out of the way so I can type!) a Sakae CR double crank
> > > that I'd like to make into a triple. The crank spider has 110 mm BCD, with the granny gear at
> > > 74 mm BCD.
> > >
> > > The markings on the BB axle are: E311 3U The axle is solid (not hollow, like my Sugino BB),
> > > and the ends are threaded for the locknut. The threads are external threads, and the locknut
> > > has an integral washer with teeth (like a lockwasher).
> > >
> > > I don't happen to know the width of the BB shell (I used to know how to read a vernier
> > > caliper, but that was long ago).
> > >
> > > I'd prefer not to get a whole new BB & crankset. Where can I obtain a longer BB axle? I've
> > > looked on Loose Screws for a start.
>
> "Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm still waiting for the Densa page to load!
>
> A 3-U is pretty darned long at 40mm right side. The only readily available longer one is a 3-M at
> 43.5mm. (Normally you need 5mm going from double to triple) You should check the chainline first.
> Are you sure you need something longer than a 3-U? That would be unusual!

I did reassemble the BB, and checked the chainline. It works out to about 47mm (I confess I didn't
tighten anything, so it might have been around 45mm, or so).