Hippy's 1st Track Race... here we go again...

hippy

Guest
The Bike:
(
http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_170_7041.jpg )
(
http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_170_7042.jpg )
(
http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_170_7043.jpg )

If you don't mind a little blood:
(
http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_167_6790.jpg )
(
http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_167_6795.jpg )

What you don't see are the gouges out of my (bad) shoulder
and the "double-sized" puffed-up fingers with some pieces
missing... or the arl-length bruising :).
The gore shots were taken AFTER washing all the blood
off so they don't look quite so impressive - sorry ;).
Continued racing that day though and raced this morning
(after a continental breakfast of Panadols and Ibuprofen)
and then went on to complete our 100k loop - so it's not
THAT bad. The codeine is working now, thank ch...
"chemists"...

Most people that know me 'assume' this kind of thing will
happen. Matter of fact, I said it would happen myself.
"Firsts" with myself and bikes always seem to end in pain.
For those who want the "how?", read on...

Method: I was the last rider in an Olympic sprint and I'm
doing my flying lap. Cross the finish line and onto the next
bend with almost full pace still on. In front, there's a rider
low, in my path. I decide to move up around him but he'd
heard me coming and moved up too.. uh oh... rider and
fence start making smaller and smaller gap and there's no
brakes on track bikes. This all happens in the space of 1
second, in a mental imagery, slow-mo, "hip, you're about
to eat concrete" cam.
I make myself as skinny as possible (stop laughing) but it's
not good enough.
Hit the wire fence, that was probably why I have chunks
missing from my fingers, and flipped the bike over,
face-planting into the concrete track. Slid a little, swore a
lot. Got up with the assistance of some race officials.
Little dazed and confused (I mean, more than normal)
and a bit bloody. The other rider was fine, I think, and
very apologetic (unecessarily so, I believe).

I've got track training on Monday so I've just swapped the
holed front tyre with a Michelin Axial Carbon that I bought
the other day. Sometimes being lazy pays off - not fitting
the new tyres immediately means I just saved $60+,
destroying the old tyre instead. :)
They're yellow-striped, btw which means they look quite
sexy with the, now half roo ted, yellow bar tape.

Other than that, the day went really well, even with low
numbers due to people racing at Vodaphone that night.

Track is cool!

hippy
"not shaving face for a while"

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> Hit the wire fence, that was probably why I have chunks
> missing from my fingers, and flipped the bike over,
> face-planting into the concrete track. Slid a little, swore a
> lot. Got up with the assistance of some race officials.
> Little dazed and confused (I mean, more than normal)
> and a bit bloody. The other rider was fine, I think, and
> very apologetic (unecessarily so, I believe).

> I've got track training on Monday so I've just swapped the
> holed front tyre with a Michelin Axial Carbon that I bought
> the other day. Sometimes being lazy pays off - not fitting
> the new tyres immediately means I just saved $60+,
> destroying the old tyre instead. :)
> They're yellow-striped, btw which means they look quite
> sexy with the, now half roo ted, yellow bar tape.

> Other than that, the day went really well, even with low
> numbers due to people racing at Vodaphone that night.

At least you're not hurt.

It was my first time as a track spectator on Saturday and by the
end of it I was tensing up every time they came out of the last turn
just waiting for the inevitable crashes.

Most of them weren't too bad. Only one person got an ambulance ride.

Shows you how steep the banking is too when someone crashes and then
slides down the track :)

Unfortunately my camera's memory card was inexplicably empty when I
got home so you'll have to take my word for it :)

Enjoy the codeine.

--
Nick

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:44:25 +1100, "hippy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The Bike:
>(
>http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_170_7041.jpg )
>(
>http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_170_7042.jpg )
>(
>http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_170_7043.jpg )
>
>If you don't mind a little blood:
>(
>http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_167_6790.jpg )
>(
>http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/Track/1stRace/1stTrackRaceWeb_167_6795.jpg )

Ouch!

Looks like you did a moderately good job of protecting your bike by
sacrificing your body.

<snip>

>Most people that know me 'assume' this kind of thing will
>happen. Matter of fact, I said it would happen myself.
>"Firsts" with myself and bikes always seem to end in pain.

I only know you on-line, but isn't 'assume' too mild a word? Wouldn't
'know' be more appropriate?

Heh. You ought to meet Snowy. She has a way with kitchen appliances
that's similar to your bike firsts. :)

>For those who want the "how?", read on...
>
>Method: I was the last rider in an Olympic sprint and I'm
>doing my flying lap. Cross the finish line and onto the next
>bend with almost full pace still on. In front, there's a rider
>low, in my path.

Shouldn't be there, but you've got to expect it.

>I decide to move up around him

At this point you get vocal. "Stay low!" or "Going high!"

> but he'd
>heard me coming and moved up too..

Even more vocal.

> uh oh... rider and
>fence start making smaller and smaller gap and there's no
>brakes on track bikes.

Too late. At least you didn't T-bone him. That's messy.

<snip>

>The other rider was fine, I think, and
>very apologetic (unecessarily so, I believe).

He shouldn't have moved up without looking. But you've got to expect
it, so get vocal.

We should buy shares in Betadine, Silvazine and Smith + Nephew :)

--
Regards.
Richard.

Thanks hippy, you've just turned me off track for life (not to mention
the red-meat-based dinner I was just about to have)...

&roo

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> At least you're not hurt.

I know! My dodgy shoulder took a fair hit and
I'm glad I didn't do another collarbone - time off
the bike sucks and that would be too big
holidays of struggling to carry baggage with one
good arm! (still time though.. ;-)).

> It was my first time as a track spectator on Saturday and by the
> end of it I was tensing up every time they came out of the last turn
> just waiting for the inevitable crashes.

Vodaphone? There were a few crashes that night

> Most of them weren't too bad. Only one person got an ambulance ride.

The poor chick that was carried off just after the
bunch rolled out?

> Shows you how steep the banking is too when someone crashes and then
> slides down the track :)

That happens on the shallower tracks to, even
when concrete - just ask my face.

> Unfortunately my camera's memory card was inexplicably empty when I
> got home so you'll have to take my word for it :)

What happened? I'm going to upload some pics soon...

> Enjoy the codeine.

I'm over it now. I've healed enough to stop sooking...

hippy

"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> Looks like you did a moderately good job of protecting your bike by
> sacrificing your body.

Skin is free.. bike parts aren't. It's a simple
expenditure management.strategy... ;-)

> >Most people that know me 'assume' this kind of thing will
> >happen. Matter of fact, I said it would happen myself.
> >"Firsts" with myself and bikes always seem to end in pain.

> I only know you on-line, but isn't 'assume' too mild a word? Wouldn't
> 'know' be more appropriate?

Yes, yes, this was supposed to be fixed in
the final edit.. hmmf! ;-)

> Heh. You ought to meet Snowy. She has a way with kitchen appliances
> that's similar to your bike firsts. :)

If Snowy's anything like me, she will be missing fingers
and run terrified into the next room whenever the toast
pops...

> Shouldn't be there, but you've got to expect it.
>
> >I decide to move up around him

> At this point you get vocal. "Stay low!" or "Going high!"
>
> > but he'd
> >heard me coming and moved up too..

> Even more vocal.

Had this chat with Gemma off-list :)
Hindsight is a wonderfully clear thing...

> > uh oh... rider and
> >fence start making smaller and smaller gap and there's no
> >brakes on track bikes.

> Too late. At least you didn't T-bone him. That's messy.

Extra messy in this case: 95kg into "maybe" 30-40kg...

> He shouldn't have moved up without looking. But you've got to expect
> it, so get vocal.
>
> We should buy shares in Betadine, Silvazine and Smith + Nephew :)

For someone who would bleed to death
before putting on a bandaid or let his head
explode before taking headache tablets...
I'm sure popping a lot of pills these days..
bloody bikes... I should just buy a car!

hippy
"bwahahahaha!"

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]
> Thanks hippy, you've just turned me off track for life (not to mention
> the red-meat-based dinner I was just about to have)...

Well my girl would be happy about the red
meat thing, but you've got to try track.. just
wait a while and I'll post here all the mistakes
I make. With the amount of I make, you'll be
an expert before you even get on a velodrome! ;-)

If it makes you feel any better, I completed
track training tonight without incident (or red
meat).

lentil burger hippy

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:05:14 +1100, "hippy" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message
>> Looks like you did a moderately good job of protecting your bike by
>> sacrificing your body.

>Skin is free.. bike parts aren't. It's a simple
>expenditure management.strategy... ;-)

That's the way I look at it too. Even though my wound from last
December is still healing. Slowly.

<snip>

>> Heh. You ought to meet Snowy. She has a way with kitchen appliances
>> that's similar to your bike firsts. :)

>If Snowy's anything like me, she will be missing fingers
>and run terrified into the next room whenever the toast
>pops...

She's still got all her bits - just. We got worried when she bought a
food processor.

<snip>

>> We should buy shares in Betadine, Silvazine and Smith + Nephew :)

>For someone who would bleed to death
>before putting on a bandaid or let his head
>explode before taking headache tablets...
>I'm sure popping a lot of pills these days..
>bloody bikes... I should just buy a car!

How do you go with scrubbing grit out of wounds under the shower?

--
Regards.
Richard.

"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
> >> We should buy shares in Betadine, Silvazine and Smith + Nephew :)

> >For someone who would bleed to death
> >before putting on a bandaid or let his head
> >explode before taking headache tablets...
> >I'm sure popping a lot of pills these days..
> >bloody bikes... I should just buy a car!

> How do you go with scrubbing grit out of wounds under the shower?

There wasn't much to get out, given that it was
relatively clean concrete track.
Basically it's just a matter of grin and bear it.
I only used soap and my bare hands this time,
but I'll often run one of those fingernail
scrubbing brushes over wounds ( just for
some more pain.. :) ).

hippy

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> At least you're not hurt.

> I know! My dodgy shoulder took a fair hit and
> I'm glad I didn't do another collarbone - time off
> the bike sucks and that would be too big
> holidays of struggling to carry baggage with one
> good arm! (still time though.. ;-)).

>> It was my first time as a track spectator on Saturday and by the
>> end of it I was tensing up every time they came out of the last turn
>> just waiting for the inevitable crashes.

> Vodaphone? There were a few crashes that night

>> Most of them weren't too bad. Only one person got an ambulance ride.

> The poor chick that was carried off just after the
> bunch rolled out?

>> Shows you how steep the banking is too when someone crashes and then
>> slides down the track :)

> That happens on the shallower tracks to, even
> when concrete - just ask my face.

>> Unfortunately my camera's memory card was inexplicably empty when I
>> got home so you'll have to take my word for it :)

> What happened? I'm going to upload some pics soon...

>> Enjoy the codeine.

> I'm over it now. I've healed enough to stop sooking...

> hippy

Yeah it was Vodafone. DUnno what happened with the camera. I got
home and put it in the card reader and it said it was empty. I
was previewing the pics at the track so I don't know how they got
wiped. It's a sort of convoluted sequence of buttons to erase all
pics.

Anyway, there's always the Madisons next month.

--
Nick