bike stores, Melbourne CBD

Stu

Guest
Hi.

(I've tried to do the right thing by searching Google groups for a previous post on this but to no
avail. I do apologise if this is a fairly regular question and I have just missed it.)

With the passing of Fitzroy Cycles in Melbourne I'm in a jam to find a CBD based repairer/store that
is at least mildly credible and reputable. Given the wealth of experience in here I'm hoping a few
of you migth have some thoughts.

I don't think I can take another day on the train...

Thanks.

Stu

"stu" <[email protected]> writes:

>With the passing of Fitzroy Cycles in Melbourne I'm in a jam to find a CBD based repairer/store
>that is at least mildly credible and reputable. Given the wealth of experience in here I'm hoping a
>few of you migth have some thoughts.

>I don't think I can take another day on the train...

Noo!! When did Fitzroy Cycles disappear from Swanston Street? Do they still have their
Fitzroy store?

As for other bike shops in the CBD, I have previously had great service and advice from Cecile
Walker in Elizabeth Street.

I'm sad to hear that Fitzroy Cycles have gone ... Anyone know why?

Andrew

i think fitzroy cycles are still in fitzroy but they have opened another store in carnegie?

as for CBD stores, I have found SHM on Bourke (near russell) to be ok....

"Andrew Lampert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "stu" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >With the passing of Fitzroy Cycles in Melbourne I'm in a jam to find a
CBD
> >based repairer/store that is at least mildly credible and reputable.
Given
> >the wealth of experience in here I'm hoping a few of you migth have some thoughts.
>
> >I don't think I can take another day on the train...
>
> Noo!! When did Fitzroy Cycles disappear from Swanston Street? Do they
still
> have their Fitzroy store?
>
> As for other bike shops in the CBD, I have previously had great service
and
> advice from Cecile Walker in Elizabeth Street.
>
> I'm sad to hear that Fitzroy Cycles have gone ... Anyone know why?

To Dandenong Rd Carnegie, big flash store, lotsa stock that I love but can't afford..........

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:06:59 +1000, "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>To Dandenong Rd Carnegie, big flash store, lotsa stock that I love but can't afford..........

I wonder sometimes, with the prices that a co-worker who used to work in overseas textile sales when
she lived in shanghai, which match up with (or are often less than) the prices that people throw
around for cheap stuff imported from China, why isn't there at least one shop around that sells
cheap imported chinese copies of cycling clothing and shoes at a few dollars a piece?

It's not like anyone would go out of business selling that stuff.. Even with the cost of fabric and
shipping, which might work out at $1-3 an article, and maybe 50c-$1 for labour, a retailler selling
at about $10 would surely get enough volume in their sales to stay afloat. There's a market out
there, those who don't care enough about cycling clothes to pay two hundred a piece but would
happily stock up if it cost about the same as street clothing, and those who are sick of paying $200
a piece for something that's probably made in China with the label sewed on elsewhere and is
manufactured at about the above prices anyway..

*sigh*

PC

Get off that train at Spencer st and go to Pushi at 271 King st. Between Lonsdale and Lt Lons. If
its repairs your after, go to the Bicycle Hospital just up the road if you ride on the Corner of
Victoria st and Chetwynd. Near the Vic market. I'm a pushi courier in town and constantly need
repairs at a fair price and good turnaround. Bit more relaxed than the big cbd stores too.

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:06:59 +1000, "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >To Dandenong Rd Carnegie, big flash store, lotsa stock that I love but
can't
> >afford..........
>
> I wonder sometimes, with the prices that a co-worker who used to work in overseas textile sales
> when she lived in shanghai, which match up with (or are often less than) the prices that people
> throw around for cheap stuff imported from China, why isn't there at least one shop around that
> sells cheap imported chinese copies of cycling clothing and shoes at a few dollars a piece?
>
>[snip]

Business opportunity for some one ?

In my experience even the cheap stuff I have purchased in Europe is still made in Italy or France.
In fact I don't think I have ever seen cycle clothes made in Asia. Has anyone ?

PC <[email protected]> wrote:
: On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:06:59 +1000, "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote:

:>To Dandenong Rd Carnegie, big flash store, lotsa stock that I love but can't afford..........

: I wonder sometimes, with the prices that a co-worker who used to work in overseas textile sales
: when she lived in shanghai, which match up with (or are often less than) the prices that people
: throw around for cheap stuff imported from China, why isn't there at least one shop around that
: sells cheap imported chinese copies of cycling clothing and shoes at a few dollars a piece?

If you can organise it, I'd like to put in an order for 4 jerseys and nicks. Can you do it? ;-)

Cheerz, Lynzz

On 28 Apr 2003 23:38:46 GMT, Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:

>: I wonder sometimes, with the prices that a co-worker who used to work in overseas textile sales
>: when she lived in shanghai, which match up with (or are often less than) the prices that people
>: throw around for cheap stuff imported from China, why isn't there at least one shop around that
>: sells cheap imported chinese copies of cycling clothing and shoes at a few dollars a piece?
>
>If you can organise it, I'd like to put in an order for 4 jerseys and nicks. Can you do it? ;-)

To do something like this, you need cash to invest and you need to deal in bulk.. My savings account
has about $301 in it, so no, I can't organise it..

PC

Thanks so much for your thoughts, all.

I rarely take my bike, and the fact that I can get about on it, for granted, but a few days on the
train has somewhat heightened my appreciation of the convenience and efficiency of riding.

Cheers,

Stu

news:[email protected]...

PC <[email protected]> wrote:
: On 28 Apr 2003 23:38:46 GMT, Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:

:>: I wonder sometimes, with the prices that a co-worker who used to work in overseas textile sales
:>: when she lived in shanghai, which match up with (or are often less than) the prices that people
:>: throw around for cheap stuff imported from China, why isn't there at least one shop around that
:>: sells cheap imported chinese copies of cycling clothing and shoes at a few dollars a piece?
:>
:>If you can organise it, I'd like to put in an order for 4 jerseys and nicks. Can you do it? ;-)

: To do something like this, you need cash to invest and you need to deal in bulk.. My savings
: account has about $301 in it, so no, I can't organise it..

That's more than me!!! Just the same, how many people would you need to put in $100 to make it
viable - you know, a co-operative?

Cheerz, Lynzz

Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote in news:b8ms5l$cek$1 @gruvel.une.edu.au:

> PC <[email protected]> wrote:
>: On 28 Apr 2003 23:38:46 GMT, Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>:>: I wonder sometimes, with the prices that a co-worker who used to work in overseas textile sales
>:>: when she lived in shanghai, which match up with (or are often less than) the prices that people
>:>: throw around for cheap stuff imported from China, why isn't there at least one shop around that
>:>: sells cheap imported chinese copies of cycling clothing and shoes at a few dollars a piece?
>:>
>:>If you can organise it, I'd like to put in an order for 4 jerseys and nicks. Can you do it? ;-)
>
>: To do something like this, you need cash to invest and you need to deal in bulk.. My savings
>: account has about $301 in it, so no, I can't organise it..
>
> That's more than me!!! Just the same, how many people would you need to put in $100 to make it
> viable - you know, a co-operative?

Ball park, without doing to much research, say 500. Just to start off to give you some capital,
and then have them chuck in another $100 in 3 months for safety and draw no wages for the first
12 months.

Of course, you will need to run the entire thing by the ASIC.

Trevor S

Trevor S <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >:>If you can organise it, I'd like to put in an order for 4 jerseys and nicks. Can you do it? ;-)
>
> >: To do something like this, you need cash to invest and you need to deal in bulk.. My savings
> >: account has about $301 in it, so no, I can't organise it..
> >
> > That's more than me!!! Just the same, how many people would you need to put in $100 to make it
> > viable - you know, a co-operative?
>
> Ball park, without doing to much research, say 500. Just to start off to give you some capital,
> and then have them chuck in another $100 in 3 months for safety and draw no wages for the first
> 12 months.
>
> Of course, you will need to run the entire thing by the ASIC.

In other words, there's no chance in hell that you'd get that kind of venture going without serious
dough or serious support..

However, a local co-operative venture run out of someplace like the Brunswick Business Incubator
or possibly CERES might be worth looking into, and could probably get off the ground with about
100 members..

Say you set up a co-op where you sell basic garments (knicks, jerseys, maybe gloves, maybe more as
people get more advanced) at about $15-20/garment (more if the buyer is a retailer and needs quality
assured stock, actual amount determined by negotiation between the producer and the buyer), where
each member who decides to produce (a producer) would sell based on orders received (or stockpile if
they feel they might be able to sell later on).

At the time of sale, an accounting system would distribute the sale price to various cost centres
(other members, or for the more resourceful, the same member who makes the garment) at say $2 to
whoever designed and cut out the pattern used for that garment, $1 to whoever donated the sewing
machine, $1 to whoever donated the overlocker, $2 to whoever supplied the fabric, $5-6ish to the
org to cover real estate, electricity, insurances, minor consumables including logo transfers for
the org, accounting expenses, network resources, admin etc, and the difference between all that and
the sale price that the producer negotiated would go to the producer as fully fledged (albeit
taxable) income.. If a producer wanted to stockpile, the producer would pay the fabric line item,
and half the org surcharge, to cover tangible costs, and the rest would be accounted for at the
time of sale..

It wouldn't attract those willing to make a full time job out of it unless they had been going at it
for a while, could make a good product, and personally thought they could win over some serious
market share or at least get some good sales to retailers.. In the meantime, it'd certainly be
worthwhile between members who just want to put a bit of elbow grease into a part time project and
come out of it with something tangible and a few new skills..

I've been toying with the concept this afternoon, and even drew up the better part of a sample
constitution.. Anyone in Melbourne interested in the concept or anyone from outside think they might
want to try and make a go of it where they are? If so, drop me a line.. My new e-mail addy (as of
this week) is mrpc at iinet dot net dot au.

It may still need to get through ASIC, but I don't think it would be much harder to get working than
any other co-op in the country..

PC

RMan wrote:
> "Andrew Lampert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"stu" <[email protected]> writes:
>>

>>>With the passing of Fitzroy Cycles in Melbourne I'm in a jam to find a
>
> CBD
>
>>>based repairer/store that is at least mildly credible and reputable.
>
> Given
>
>>>the wealth of experience in here I'm hoping a few of you migth have some thoughts.
>>
>>>I don't think I can take another day on the train...
>>
>>Noo!! When did Fitzroy Cycles disappear from Swanston Street? Do they
>
> still
>
>>have their Fitzroy store?
>>
>>As for other bike shops in the CBD, I have previously had great service
>
> and
>
>>advice from Cecile Walker in Elizabeth Street.
>>
>>I'm sad to hear that Fitzroy Cycles have gone ... Anyone know why?
>>

> To Dandenong Rd Carnegie, big flash store, lotsa stock that I love but can't afford..........

yep.

My mate Ian just bought 2 bikes from there at a whopping 25% off