or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuit - Garibaldi Biscuit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuit - Garibaldi Biscuit

post #1 of 11
FOR USA AUDIENCE

A bunch of years ago I was looking for one of my favorite
cookies on the grocery shelves -- Sunshine Raisin Biscuits
(Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits) and couldn't find
any; even during my travels to many states. Needless to say
I was disappointed.

The Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits was a flat, thin,
dry segmented sheet of raisin filled cookie/biscuit dough.
It is unlike any average cookie. And was great.

Searching the WEB later found that the Keebler Co. and the
Sunshine Biscuit Co had merged in around 1998 and later,
Keebler discontinued the "Golden Fruit" product line. See:
http://www.keebler.com/about/faq_prod.jsp?menuOpen=3

That's why my cookie vanished.

Some would say, "that's the way the cookie crumbles" but
some enterprising people on the Internet found a British
item that was quite similar. It is Crawford's Garibaldi
Biscuit. Now it's not 100% the same -- but it is pretty
close. The cookie is distributed by the United Biscuits in

Biscuits.

SEE PHOTOS: http://tinyurl.com/3ch9o
http://tinyurl.com/2jwpj

In a News Group someone mentioned that The Vermont Country
Store [See: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com] carried it
as a product [See: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/prdSe-
ll.asp?ProdGroupID=25456].

It was expensive, but I had to try it out -- and it
was great.

Since then I have found a much cheaper source:

British Delights [http://www.britishdelights.com] [See page:
http://www.britishdelights.com/misc_biscuits.htm]

While a bulk purchase of 30 packages at The Vermont Country
Store would cost
me6 packages of 5) @ $12.95 = $77.70 + $11.95 (s/h) =
$89.65 or a cost of $2.99 each

British Delights offers them at: (30 packages of 1) @ $1.56
= $46.80 less 5% for box lot = $44.46 + $10 (s/h) = $54.46
or a cost of $1.82 each

Now that's quite a saving.

If you are interested in renewing your taste or are just
curious -- try them out.

Of course, I you visit the UK I believe you can pick up a
package of Crawford's Garibaldi for just under $1.

I would love to have Keebler re-introduce their Golden Fruit
Raisin Biscuit -- but that would probably take a massive write-
in campaign.

Gary Hayman Maryland
post #2 of 11

Re: Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuit - Garibaldi Biscuit

In article <OYCdnatNosucFPHdRVn-hA@comcast.com>,
Gary Hayman <ghayman3_nospam_@comcast.net> wrote:
>Searching the WEB later found that the Keebler Co. and the
>Sunshine Biscuit Co had merged in around 1998 and later,
>Keebler discontinued the "Golden Fruit" product line.

I was wondering what had happened to these cookies.

They were unique in that they did not contain excessive
amounts of sugar and fat. They tasted OK, but certainly
not as good as, say, chocolate! My parents and their
circle of friends used to give these cookies to their kids
all the time.

Fig Newtons are reasonably good cookies, and somewhat
healthy. But why the hell do they contain artificial
flavors? The flavor of the fruit should be good enough. It
irritates me so much that I don't buy them.
--
David Arnstein arnstein+usenet@pobox.com
--

Re: Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuit - Garibaldi Biscuit

arnstein@panix.com (David Arnstein) wrote in news:c4ibtr$8vf$1
@reader1.panix.com:

> In article <OYCdnatNosucFPHdRVn-hA@comcast.com>, Gary
> Hayman <ghayman3_nospam_@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Searching the WEB later found that the Keebler Co. and the
>>Sunshine Biscuit Co had merged in around 1998 and later,
>>Keebler discontinued the "Golden Fruit" product line.
>
> I was wondering what had happened to these cookies.
>
> They were unique in that they did not contain excessive
> amounts of sugar and fat. They tasted OK, but certainly
> not as good as, say, chocolate! My parents and their
> circle of friends used to give these cookies to their kids
> all the time.
>
> Fig Newtons are reasonably good cookies, and somewhat
> healthy. But why the hell do they contain artificial
> flavors? The flavor of the fruit should be good enough. It
> irritates me so much that I don't buy them.

I totally agree. Some natural food stores carry a much
better version. The filling is just sweetened fruit and the
biscuit covering it is made from whole grain. A much more
pleasing experience!

Wayne
post #4 of 11

Wow, Gary! Thx a lot! I thought that I was the only one that wished for Golden Fruit! I will try to find the british biscuits. In the meantime, I thought that I had found a similar product but I was wrong. At Aldi's in Michigan, they had a biscuit w/ raisins and apple. I decided it was worth taking the chance. It wasn't. Perhaps we should start a blog or face book page to strongly convince them to bring it back,

Thanks again,Regi

post #5 of 11

I was travelling in New Zealand in 2007 and found Golden Fruit on the store shelves.  I believe there may be a company that exports them to the USA.

post #6 of 11

I have looked for and asked about these biscuits several times in stores over the years and no one seemed to know what i was talking about .I suspect that since they couldn't get them they were playing dumb. But I ran across a mention of them in "preventions loose weight guide book" and that put me onto the info about crawfords garibaldi biscuits. I would love to see them made available

either crawfords or the origional sunshine cookie. and shame on keebler for stopping something that is healthy

post #7 of 11

 Aldi stores sells an Apple Raisin Fruit Crisp which I think is close to the Sunshine Golden Fruit Biscuits.I like the Apple Raisin Fruit Crips from Aldi they remind me of the Sunshine biscuits.

post #8 of 11

We lived in Nairobi Kenya for 7 years. Imagine my surprise when I found the biscuits on the shelf there. With the exchange rate i paid about $3.00 a package. They were always on the shelf. i have looked and looked here in the USA and cannot find them. I cannot afford to pay the price at the Old Country Store or the Vermont Store.  I like to bake maybe I can find a recipe!icon14.gif

post #9 of 11
I was a big fan of the Sunshine Biscuits. Garibaldi Biscuits are an excellent substitute. If you reside near a large Asian supermarket you can also look for Khong Guan Sultana Biscuits which are similar but less sweet than Garabaldi's. Garrabaldi's are made with dried currants (a berry). The Khong Guan and Sunsine biscuits are/were made with dried grapes (raisins).
post #10 of 11

We have a product here that is not dissimilar to Garibaldi's - they're call Fig Rolls.

These biscuits are figs encased in a light pastry and they're the staple of every cyclist's nutrition "on the road"

post #11 of 11

If you could tell me the name of the store that that carry the Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits in NZ I would be eternally grateful.Ill hunt down the number and address. I have a very dear friend who has been pining for these for years. This would be such a wonderful surprise. Thanks !!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition