Campag Chorus rusting

Colin

Guest
Hi,

I have a 10 speed Campag Chorus groupset, purchased in Sept 2002.

I have now seen rust in the cassette & front der. Is this normal and should I be concerned, looks
like surface rust at the moment.

TIA

Colin

Not normal........unless you dont lube your drivetrain. In which case you have learnt an expensive
lesson. Replace cassette-chain and rings. Front derailuer can just be cleaned.

"Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 10 speed Campag Chorus groupset, purchased in Sept 2002.
>
> I have now seen rust in the cassette & front der. Is this normal and
should
> I be concerned, looks like surface rust at the moment.
>
> TIA
>
> Colin

In article <[email protected]>, Colin
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a 10 speed Campag Chorus groupset, purchased in Sept 2002.
>
>I have now seen rust in the cassette & front der. Is this normal and should I be concerned, looks
>like surface rust at the moment.

It takes a lot of rust to cause a problem with cassette cogs or the front derailleur cage (assuming
the pivots are ok), it is unlikely that you need to worry about that, but you do need lube. It is
hard to imagine how you might get rusty cogs if you are using enough lubricant. If you are using
some fancy "dry" lubricant then this is a message about its effectiveness in your riding conditions.
If you are riding in very wet or salty conditions I would lube everything in sight including stem
and seatpost, preferably overhaul the works. The cassette cogs are unlikely to be injured by rust
but there are plenty of other things on the bike that are more sensitive to it.

--Paul

The anonymous "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not normal........unless you dont lube your drivetrain. In which case you have learnt an expensive
> lesson. Replace cassette-chain and rings. Front derailuer can just be cleaned.

Your uninformed posts are becoming irritating. Please leave technical advice to people with
appropriate knowledge and experience. Advising someone who reported rust on a cassette and front
derailleur to replace his chain and aluminium alloy chain rings is just not helpful.

John Retchford

openworld-<< Replace cassette-chain and rings.

Rings are aluminum, not rusted...

Openworld wrote:
> Not normal........unless you dont lube your drivetrain. In which case you have learnt an expensive
> lesson. Replace cassette-chain and rings. Front derailuer can just be cleaned.

Since when does a little surface rust warrent replacing...anything. Just lube it up and go, the rust
will work it's way out of the important areas. If the guy is that concerned he could just yank of
the parts, clean em up and be on his way again.

My beater lives outside 24/7/365. There is rust here and there but it's never caused a problem. I
just make sure everything moves freely.

Hell, go to a college town and see what half the kids are riding on, apparently rust can become a
structural element over time.