Lance's equipment

In article <[email protected]>, Jon Senior=20
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> says...
> elyob [email protected] opined the following...
> > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/armstrong.html?tw=3Dwn_tophead=

_8
> >=20
> > May change my water bottle holder ...

>=20
> I cam every close to bidding on a pair of CF bottle holders on eBay.=20
> Only a sudden rush of wisdom to the head stopped me from spending =A340 o=

n=20
> a piece of bike jewelry.
>=20
> Jon
>=20

Is this the same man who builds his own bent to save money talking of=20
spendign =A340 on a bottle cage? =3D8-O=20
--=20
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:20:21 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

>elyob [email protected] opined the following...
>> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/armstrong.html?tw=wn_tophead_8
>>
>> May change my water bottle holder ...

>I cam every close to bidding on a pair of CF bottle holders on eBay.
>Only a sudden rush of wisdom to the head stopped me from spending £40 on
>a piece of bike jewelry.

Good thing too. I think Robbie McEwan has a geater need than you
anyway.

Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm, humour etc,
try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post until it either

(Jon Senior urc)

paul [email protected] opined the following...
> In article <[email protected]>, Jon Senior=20
> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> says...
> > elyob [email protected] opined the following...
> > > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/armstrong.html?tw=3Dwn_tophe=

ad_8
> > >=20
> > > May change my water bottle holder ...

> >=20
> > I cam every close to bidding on a pair of CF bottle holders on eBay.=20
> > Only a sudden rush of wisdom to the head stopped me from spending =A340=

on=20
> > a piece of bike jewelry.
> >=20
> > Jon
> >=20

> Is this the same man who builds his own bent to save money talking of=20
> spendign =A340 on a bottle cage? =3D8-O=20

It was two bottle cages, which put them at about half price. But they=20
were very pretty!

Jon

In article <[email protected]>, Jon Senior=20
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> says...
> paul [email protected] opined the following...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Jon Senior=20
> > <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> says...
> > > elyob [email protected] opined the following...

head_8
> > >=20
> > > I cam every close to bidding on a pair of CF bottle holders on eBay.=

=20
> > > Only a sudden rush of wisdom to the head stopped me from spending =A3=

40 on=20
> > > a piece of bike jewelry.
> > >=20
> > > Jon
> > >=20

> > Is this the same man who builds his own bent to save money talking of=

=20
> > spendign =A340 on a bottle cage? =3D8-O=20

>=20
> It was two bottle cages, which put them at about half price. But they=20
> were very pretty!
>=20
> Jon
>=20

Only twenty quid each! Thats alright then :)
--=20
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

paul [email protected] opined the following...
> Only twenty quid each! Thats alright then :)

mumble mumble shiny black mumble don't really weigh anything mumble
mumble.

I had encountered the CF bottle cage in France at Easter. Daniel Salmon
was selling a CF monocoque race bike with full Dura-ace and CF ergonomic
handlebars. It had the matching bottle cages and it impressed me that
someone had actually considered the cage to be a weight issue. Given the
500g of water it carries, the 30g difference in weight seemed daft.

That's not to say I wouldn't like a pair just for the look of it... it's
just that I can think of better things to spend the money on. Hell, that
was the bar-end shifters for the bent.

Jon

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> paul [email protected] opined the following...
> > Only twenty quid each! Thats alright then :)

> mumble mumble shiny black mumble don't really weigh anything mumble
> mumble.
>
> I had encountered the CF bottle cage in France at Easter. Daniel Salmon
> was selling a CF monocoque race bike with full Dura-ace and CF ergonomic
> handlebars. It had the matching bottle cages and it impressed me that
> someone had actually considered the cage to be a weight issue. Given the
> 500g of water it carries, the 30g difference in weight seemed daft.
>
> That's not to say I wouldn't like a pair just for the look of it... it's
> just that I can think of better things to spend the money on. Hell, that
> was the bar-end shifters for the bent.

There was a bit on the TdF yesterday (well, Wednesday 7-8pm highlights ITV2)
.... where some kid tried to steal a water bottle from a bike being pushed by
a pro. He got the bottle, but the cyclist (can't remember who .. and he
spoke very good French ;-] ) grabbed it back. Unfortunately the carbon fibre
holder was in tatters ... I think a new bike may have been called for. Shows
how important a decent water cage is ;)

elyob wrote:
> "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
> There was a bit on the TdF yesterday (well, Wednesday 7-8pm highlights ITV2)
> ... where some kid tried to steal a water bottle from a bike being pushed by
> a pro. He got the bottle, but the cyclist (can't remember who .. and he
> spoke very good French ;-] ) grabbed it back. Unfortunately the carbon fibre
> holder was in tatters ... I think a new bike may have been called for. Shows
> how important a decent water cage is ;)

It was Robbie McEwen. A couple of people grabbed at his bottle as he
rode past; he was still on his bike at the time, coasting through the
spectators. The third kid to have a go ripped it out of his cage,
breaking the cage and just about pulling McEwen off his bike. McEwen
gave him a bit of a shaking, then cruised on until a few metres down the
road he realised his cage was trashed. He went back, took the bottle
from the kid and handed it to another child while giving the viewers a
lesson in French and the kid a lesson in Aussie swearing.

McEwen's not known as the most polite and easy going character in the
field, but I think I'd have been a lot less civil if someone had done
something similar to me in that situation. Is it normal for people to
try to pull parts off the bikes as souvenirs at then end of each stage?
I would have thought (hoped, maybe) there would be more respect for
the competitors.