Which new rims to replace Mavic Open 4CD?

Gregory Leblanc

Guest
I've got a set of wheels built on Mavic 501 hubs and Open 4 CD rims. I think I'm about due for a new
set of rims, as these had a pretty rough crash last year and aren't staying true very well anymore,
even after a rebuild. I'm not sure what I should be looking at for replacement rims. I'm not a big
guy (14 stone, or 64kg), and these are 36 hole hubs/rims, but I'd like something that I don't have
to fuss with very often. I'm also in Portland, Oregon, so the weather is either hot, or cool and
very wet. Any suggestions? Greg

"Gregory Leblanc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I've got a set of wheels built on Mavic 501 hubs and Open 4 CD rims. I think I'm about due for a
> new set of rims, as these had a pretty rough crash last year and aren't staying true very well
> anymore, even after a rebuild. I'm not sure what I should be looking at for replacement rims. I'm
> not a big guy (14 stone, or 64kg), and these are 36 hole hubs/rims, but I'd like something that I
> don't have to fuss with very often. I'm also in Portland, Oregon, so the weather is either hot, or
> cool and very wet. Any suggestions? Greg

I would go either Open Pros which are the same basic design, or the Velocity Aeroheads. Either will
work well with 36 spokes. Using Open Pros means that you can probably re-use your spokes, Velocities
are a maybe.

Mike

gleblanc-<< I've got a set of wheels built on Mavic 501 hubs and Open 4 CD rims. << I'm not sure
what I should be looking at for replacement rims

Look for good rims but look harder for a good wheelbuilder. The rims most like O4CD are Mavic
OpenPro, but Velocity makes some nice rims as well(Razor) as do others, like Ambrosio and Torelli.

mikeshaw-<< I would go either Open Pros which are the same basic design, or the Velocity Aeroheads.
Either will work well with 36 spokes. Using Open Pros means that you can probably re-use your
spokes, Velocities are a maybe.

Aeroheads are 602mm, OpenPro 605mm-ERDs-