Powerlink and CN-7701

frenk

Guest
I couldn't find an answer to this question, and before taking risks I
just want to be sure.

Is it safe to use a SRAM Powerlink (9spd gold) with a Dura Ace CN-7701
chain? It seems to fit well, but I can open it really easily. So will it
stay closed, even on bumps?

If no, is there another solution, less costly than replacing the
pin each time I want to take the chain off? (and I really want to
take it off!)

thanks for any advice!

Francesco

--

frenk <[email protected]> wrote in news:Shkfc.34519$dq3.2525
@fe13.usenetserver.com:
> Is it safe to use a SRAM Powerlink (9spd gold) with a Dura Ace CN-7701
> chain? It seems to fit well, but I can open it really easily. So will it
> stay closed, even on bumps?

Neither Shimano nor SRAM recommend this. However, I do know people who do it
with no problems.

> If no, is there another solution, less costly than replacing the
> pin each time I want to take the chain off? (and I really want to
> take it off!)

You could use an SRAM chain, which comes with a free powerlink. SRAM says
their 9sp chains are compatible with 9sp Shimano drivetrains.

"frenk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I couldn't find an answer to this question, and before taking risks I
> just want to be sure.
>
> Is it safe to use a SRAM Powerlink (9spd gold) with a Dura Ace CN-7701
> chain? It seems to fit well, but I can open it really easily. So will it
> stay closed, even on bumps?
>
> If no, is there another solution, less costly than replacing the
> pin each time I want to take the chain off? (and I really want to
> take it off!)
>
> thanks for any advice!
>
> Francesco

I've used the SRAM gold powerlink on all my Shimano chain equipped bikes
(5), including our tandem, for several years now. Never had any problems
with any of the chains/powerlinks.

gnatmake-<< Is it safe to use a SRAM Powerlink (9spd gold) with a Dura Ace
CN-7701
chain? It seems to fit well, but I can open it really easily. So will it
stay closed, even on bumps? >><BR><BR>

yep, works fine, no probelm, do it all the time.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:01:54 GMT, frenk <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it safe to use a SRAM Powerlink (9spd gold) with a Dura Ace CN-7701
>chain? It seems to fit well, but I can open it really easily. So will it
>stay closed, even on bumps?

Several people among my riding buddies are using Shimano 10 sp chain
in their Shimano and Campy 10 drive trains. The Sram Powerlink II
works better than the Connex 10 link and the IRD link. With the later
2 links, they have problem with the 11t cog or hear clicks from the
removable link. They prefer the DA 10 chain for economy.

If you search this message group. you'll find many messages on how to
open stubborn Powerlinks.

The powerlink seemed a bit too easy to open on the DA 7701 chain: just push the two faces together and voilà. I could do it simply shaking the chain!
I'm sure it would have happened 50km away from home.
Here is what I did: I modified the faces to make them *slightly* point to the outside, so that in order to open the link a bigger pressure is needed.
I can now hear a clear "click" closing the link, and I can open it with a little more force.
Maybe this wasn't really needed, but I prefer a little more pain to open the link when I'm at home than a broken chain somewhere alone in a mountain! :)

Thanks for the replies!

Francesco

--

pkopit-<< The Sram Powerlink II
works better than the Connex 10 link and the IRD link. With the later

If installed with the shalllow portion toward the cogs, no problem with an 11t
cog, for thr Connex.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 16 Apr 2004 13:11:51 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:
>pkopit-<< The Sram Powerlink II
>works better than the Connex 10 link and the IRD link. With the later
>2 links, they have problem with the 11t cog >><BR><BR>

My Connex works fine with my 11t.

>If installed with the shalllow portion toward the cogs, no problem with an 11t
>cog, for thr Connex.

There's a shallow portion?

And, face it toward the cogs when on the top run or bottom run?
--
Rick Onanian