How do I join a new Hyperglide chain ?

Tran Tran

Guest
The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette. After
shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
reinforced connecting pin instead ?

Tran

tran-<< The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette. After
shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
reinforced connecting pin instead ? >><BR><BR>

Yes, use the supplied link. The pins are not hard enough to be driven partly
out and then back in. If this makes your chain too short, use a Sram gold
snaplink.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Should I have driven it out and used the
> > reinforced connecting pin instead ?

> Yes. You can break a chain anywhere except a black pin [1], but you
> must re-join it with one of the special pins. If you don't, the
> standard pins can work loose if re-used: the action of taking them out
> widens the hole in the chain plates.

And you better take that seriously. I learned the hard way, that you cann't
reuse the old pin.
The chain seemed to be working well for a few days till one day I pulled
real hard over a steep but short hill. That cost me scraches all over myself
and my bike, a new derailleur and a hadfull of spokes in the backwheel. So
don't risk breaking a chain.
Ivar

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tran-<< The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette. After
> shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
> that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
> reinforced connecting pin instead ? >><BR><BR>
>
> Yes, use the supplied link. The pins are not hard enough to be driven

partly
> out and then back in. If this makes your chain too short, use a Sram gold
> snaplink.

What's the pin for that already comes partially in the chain? The one that
the OP is talking about?

Greg

"Ivar Hesselager" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Should I have driven it out and used the
> > > reinforced connecting pin instead ?

> > Yes. You can break a chain anywhere except a black pin [1], but you
> > must re-join it with one of the special pins. If you don't, the
> > standard pins can work loose if re-used: the action of taking them out
> > widens the hole in the chain plates.
> >

> And you better take that seriously. I learned the hard way, that you

cann't
> reuse the old pin.

I believe he's talking about a new chain.

Greg

On Mon, 03 May 2004 08:51:41 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I'd like to say "buy a SRAM chain and forget all the HG nonsense" but
>personally I've only been able to get Shimano chains running smoothly on
>9-speed.

Of course, you could just buy the sram link and put it on the
Shimano chain.

I'm using a Wipperman chain and it runs/shifts very nicely.
--
Rick Onanian

"G.T." <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:p[email protected]...

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > tran-<< The chain is a HG-93, and will drive a 9-speed HG cassette.

After
> > shortening the chain by one link, I joined the two ends by using the pin
> > that was already on the chain. Should I have driven it out and used the
> > reinforced connecting pin instead ? >><BR><BR>
> >
> > Yes, use the supplied link. The pins are not hard enough to be driven

> partly
> > out and then back in. If this makes your chain too short, use a Sram

gold
> > snaplink.
> >

> What's the pin for that already comes partially in the chain? The one

that
> the OP is talking about?
>
> Greg

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I removed one link from a new, never
before joined chain. The pin that I used to close the chain is that Greg is
refering to and seems to be the black pin that Shimano refers to as the "end
pin". I suppose that it must be OK to use that pin to join the chain for the
first time.