Switching headsets

Brad McColm

Guest
I just purchased a set of judy TT's online and I now have to convert my
threaded headset to a threadless. any advice/step by step instructions out
there on how to do it. Never done it before so i want to do it right and
also learn how to do it for future maintenance. TIA

Brad McColm wrote:

> I just purchased a set of judy TT's online and I now have to convert my
> threaded headset to a threadless. any advice/step by step instructions out
> there on how to do it. Never done it before so i want to do it right and
> also learn how to do it for future maintenance. TIA

Get a good bike shop to do it. Seriously. It needs special tools to
fit headset races, a rule which should only be broken for old beaters.

Brad McColm wrote:
> I just purchased a set of judy TT's online and I now have to convert my
> threaded headset to a threadless. any advice/step by step instructions
> out there on how to do it. Never done it before so i want to do it right
> and also learn how to do it for future maintenance. TIA

You can get some good information on the Chris King site. A good
starting point may be:
<http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets.html>

--

Brad McColm wrote:

> I just purchased a set of judy TT's online and I now have to convert my
> threaded headset to a threadless. any advice/step by step instructions out
> there on how to do it. Never done it before so i want to do it right and
> also learn how to do it for future maintenance. TIA

Unless you have access to some specialized tools, like a press, and possibly
a reamer and facing tool, you might have a tough time doing it yourself. If
you know a good mechanic you can probably save yourself a lot of greif.

In news:[email protected],
Brad McColm <[email protected]> typed:

Michael Dart wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Brad McColm <[email protected]> typed:
>> I just purchased a set of judy TT's online and I now have to convert
>> my threaded headset to a threadless. any advice/step by step
>> instructions out there on how to do it. Never done it before so i
>> want to do it right and also learn how to do it for future
>> maintenance. TIA

Nice contribution, Michael!

Bill "invisible ions?" S.

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<40a2754b.0@entanet>...
> Brad McColm wrote:
>
> > I just purchased a set of judy TT's online and I now have to convert my
> > threaded headset to a threadless. any advice/step by step instructions out
> > there on how to do it. Never done it before so i want to do it right and
> > also learn how to do it for future maintenance. TIA
> >

> Get a good bike shop to do it. Seriously. It needs special tools to
> fit headset races, a rule which should only be broken for old beaters.

Despite your "undeniability", Zog, I deny your authority on this
issue.

Anyone with a little patience, moderate mechanical aptitude, a little
creativity and motivation can do this correctly with a minimum of
expense. Do a google search on "install headset". As long as there
was a headset there already and the head tube was properly prepped the
first time, the install is a matter of press fitting the cups. The
rest is gravy.

If the Zogmeister has put you off doing this with his alarmist advice,
then you really shouldn't install it yourself. However, if you were
annoyed by his assertion that you are incapable of performing this
relatively simple task, then have at it!

You really should have the crown race installed professionally though
;-)

App

In news:p[email protected],
S o r n i <[email protected]> typed:
> Michael Dart wrote:
>> In news:[email protected],
>> Brad McColm <[email protected]> typed:
>>> I just purchased a set of judy TT's online and I now have to convert
>>> my threaded headset to a threadless. any advice/step by step
>>> instructions out there on how to do it. Never done it before so i
>>> want to do it right and also learn how to do it for future
>>> maintenance. TIA

> Nice contribution, Michael!
>
> Bill "invisible ions?" S.

Eh... thanks! Dunno how that happened.