proper bike fit?

Determined

Guest
A friend told me that on a properly fitted bike, the balls of your feet should rest
comfortably on the ground. Also, you should be able to reach the handlebars from a straight up
position on the seat.

The bike store told me that with the ball of my foot resting on the pedal in it's lowest position,
there should be just a very slight bend in my knee, almost straight but not quite. In that position,
I can't touch the ground and have a real tough time dismounting. I also have to lean slightly
forward to reach the handlebars.

Which is correct?

det

determined wrote:
> A friend told me that on a properly fitted bike, the balls of your feet should rest comfortably
> on the ground. Also, you should be able to reach the handlebars from a straight up position on
> the seat.

Provided you're ten years old, this advice is sound. Well, the bit about the balls of the feet on
the floor is. Touching the handlebars with a straight back? Hogwash.

> The bike store told me that with the ball of my foot resting on the pedal in it's lowest position,
> there should be just a very slight bend in my knee, almost straight but not quite. In that
> position, I can't touch the ground and have a real tough time dismounting. I also have to lean
> slightly forward to reach the handlebars.
>
> Which is correct?

Surprisingly, the professionals are right. Discuss it thoroughly with them and they'll point you in
the right direction.

determined wrote:
> A friend told me that on a properly fitted bike, the balls of your feet should rest comfortably
> on the ground. Also, you should be able to reach the handlebars from a straight up position on
> the seat.
>
> The bike store told me that with the ball of my foot resting on the pedal in it's lowest position,
> there should be just a very slight bend in my knee, almost straight but not quite. In that
> position, I can't touch the ground and have a real tough time dismounting. I also have to lean
> slightly forward to reach the handlebars.
>
> Which is correct?
>
> det

your friend is full of hogwash!

a good starting point for fit is while on the seat put your Heels on the pedals, with the bike
upright ( someone holding the bars works well) pedal backwards. without your hips rocking ( a sign
you're 'reaching') your heels should stay on the pedals all the way around and your leg should
straighten completely. this is an initial height and is likely to be a little low ( ~5mm).

as for handle bar reach. a good position is with the arms 'slightly' bent (at least don't lock your
elbows) the upper body should be about 45 deg from vert. problem is once you purchase the bike you
can't play with this much - get a bike that fits first!

determined wrote:
> A friend told me that on a properly fitted bike, the balls of your feet should rest comfortably
> on the ground. Also, you should be able to reach the handlebars from a straight up position on
> the seat.

"Rookie"

> The bike store told me that with the ball of my foot resting on the pedal in it's lowest position,
> there should be just a very slight bend in my knee,

correct

> In that position, I can't touch the ground

correct again

> I also have to lean slightly forward to reach the handlebars.

right.

> Which is correct?

whihc are YOU most comforatble with?

determined wrote:
> A friend told me that on a properly fitted bike, the balls of your feet should rest comfortably
> on the ground. Also, you should be able to reach the handlebars from a straight up position on
> the seat.
>
> The bike store told me that with the ball of my foot resting on the pedal in it's lowest position,
> there should be just a very slight bend in my knee, almost straight but not quite. In that
> position, I can't touch the ground and have a real tough time dismounting. I also have to lean
> slightly forward to reach the handlebars.
>
> Which is correct?
>
> det

your bike shop is closer, your "friend" must sell Huffy's at Walmart.

http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/ not exactly what you want but good info anyway.

Penny

On Thu, 01 May 2003 20:37:06 GMT, "determined" <[email protected]> wrote:

Version 1:

>A friend told me that on a properly fitted bike, the balls of your feet should rest comfortably
>on the ground. Also, you should be able to reach the handlebars from a straight up position on
>the seat.

Version 2:

>The bike store told me that with the ball of my foot resting on the pedal in it's lowest position,
>there should be just a very slight bend in my knee, almost straight but not quite. In that
>position, I can't touch the ground and have a real tough time dismounting. I also have to lean
>slightly forward to reach the handlebars.

Question:
>Which is correct?

Answer:

Although Version 2 is generally accepted as correct, it is only a basic generalization that covers
some riding scenarios.

Version 1: can also be correct depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

The question would have been better asked as: Which is MORE correct?

Version 2 would be the more correct answer.

:-]