or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How long do after market insoles last?

post #1 of 12
A while back I bought a Spenco insole to add cushioning to
my New Balance 587's. Nothing fancy, it was about $16.00
(http://www.spenco.com/prod_footcare_polywalker.html). I use
it in addition to the insole that comes with the shoe.

I replace my 587's every 500 miles, and I've used this same
insole in each new pair of shoes that I've bought. I run
about 16 miles a week. How long will this insole last before
I need to replace it? Thanks.
post #2 of 12

Re: How long do after market insoles last?

starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote in message news:<80417b15.0404071058.1e59f148@posting.google.com>...
> I run about 16 miles a week. How long will this insole
> last before I need to replace it? Thanks.

BE SERIOUS???? At that mileage you could use them forever
with no problems. You could quite easily run barefoot at
that level. Your shoes are dieing from old age, not
excess mileage.
post #3 of 12

Re: How long do after market insoles last?

>BE SERIOUS???? At that mileage you could use them forever
>You could quite
easily run barefoot.

I'm no expert but I'd think that is a bit of an
exaggeration. I use sof soles and replace them about every
350 miles. I get about 1,000 miles out of NB shoes. I used
to get less out of the shoes but started replacing the
insoles at the suggestion of someone on this n.g. and found
it added significantly to the life of the shoes and saves me
money in the process.
post #4 of 12

Re: How long do after market insoles last?

In article <yuZcc.19$9f7.12@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com>, eNo
<abuse@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Legend wrote:
>
> > A while back I bought a Spenco insole to add
> > cushioning to my New Balance 587's. Nothing fancy, it
> > was about $16.00 (http://www.spenco.com/prod_footcare-
> > _polywalker.html). I use it in addition to the insole
> > that comes with the shoe.
> >
> > I replace my 587's every 500 miles, and I've used this
> > same insole in each new pair of shoes that I've bought.
> > I run about 16 miles a week. How long will this insole
> > last before I need to replace it? Thanks.
>
> With soft insoles, I'd say you have to change it with each
> pair. But that's just a somewhat logical guess. One way to
> be a little more scientific: buy a new pair of insoles and
> compare, through squeezing, whether you have signficant
> differences in cushioning between the new and 500 mile
> pairs. Again, my guess is, yes.

Having run bare socked for the past 20+ years,, I use the
regular Spenco neoprene insoles with nothing added. Just
the flat Spenco insole. I'll switch them out every week or
two weeks, as I have about 4 pair of shoes I run in and
cycle through.

I take out the insole that comes with the shoe and put in
the Spenco.

Using the insole with the other insole to me seems like a
bit of overkill.

Regarding these unadorned Spenco insoles, they last me a few
years. Usually the green material on top wears out before
the neoprene.

In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer -
rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est.
1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-
faq/
post #5 of 12

"Legend" <starved@rock.com> wrote in message
> A while back I bought a Spenco insole to add cushioning to
> my New Balance 587's. Nothing fancy, it was about $16.00
> (http://www.spenco.com/prod_footcare_polywalker.html). I
> use it in addition to the insole that comes with the shoe.
>
> I replace my 587's every 500 miles, and I've used this
> same insole in each new pair of shoes that I've bought. I
> run about 16 miles a week. How long will this insole last
> before I need to replace it? Thanks.

Before I got custom orthotics, I had a pair or Spenco 3/4
length arch support insoles - just the regular soft foam
green ones without the hard rubber bottoms the "orthothic"
ones have.

They worked fine, with no visible wear at all, for maybe 3500-
4000 miles.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

Re: How long do after market insoles last?

> A while back I bought a Spenco insole to add cushioning to
> my New Balance 587's. Nothing fancy, it was about $16.00

I've seen these in $0.99 stores. Good time to load up.
post #7 of 12

jtiche@aol.com (Jtiche) wrote in message news:<20040407222910.01345.00000818@mb-m15.aol.com>...
> I'm no expert

We agree then? :?)~

>but I'd think that is a bit of an exaggeration.

It maybe, but at that low mileage I still think he could run
barefoot and it wouldn't matter. These insoles are supposed
to absorb shock, but at that level are they doing anything?
I doubt it, certainly not much. Hew's buying shoes every 500
miles, that's about every ten years at that mileage.
post #8 of 12

Ozzie Gontang <gontang215@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<070420042313263765%gontang215@sbcglobal.net>...

> In article <yuZcc.19$9f7.12@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com>, eNo
> <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Legend wrote:
> >
> > > A while back I bought a Spenco insole to add
> > > cushioning to my New Balance 587's. Nothing fancy, it
> > > was about $16.00 (http://www.spenco.com/prod_footcare-
> > > _polywalker.html). I use it in addition to the insole
> > > that comes with the shoe.
> > >
> > > I replace my 587's every 500 miles, and I've used this
> > > same insole in each new pair of shoes that I've
> > > bought. I run about 16 miles a week. How long will
> > > this insole last before I need to replace it? Thanks.
> >
> > With soft insoles, I'd say you have to change it with
> > each pair. But that's just a somewhat logical guess. One
> > way to be a little more scientific: buy a new pair of
> > insoles and compare, through squeezing, whether you have
> > signficant differences in cushioning between the new and
> > 500 mile pairs. Again, my guess is, yes.
>

> Having run bare socked for the past 20+ years,, I use the
> regular Spenco neoprene insoles with nothing added. Just
> the flat Spenco insole. I'll switch them out every week or
> two weeks, as I have about 4 pair of shoes I run in and
> cycle through.
>
> I take out the insole that comes with the shoe and put in
> the Spenco.
>
> Using the insole with the other insole to me seems like a
> bit of overkill.
>
> Regarding these unadorned Spenco insoles, they last me a
> few years. Usually the green material on top wears out
> before the neoprene.
>
> In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer -
> rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic,
> est. 1975
>
> Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

Thanks to all who responded.

Buying a new pair of Spencos and doing the squeeze
comparison is a good suggestion, I think I'll do that. These
Spencos are 3 years old, I'm on my 3rd pair of shoes with
them. When I bought them on the advice of a friend, he had
said that the pair he was using were going on 3 years; they
last awhile.

Overkill to be using two insoles? Naw. I could use all the
cushioning I can get. I'm 6'1" 245 lbs. I was 285 when I
started running 5 years ago.

notwarburton69@hotmail.com (Not HIM) wrote in message

> starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote in message
> > I run about 16 miles a week. How long will this insole
> > last before I need to replace it? Thanks.
>

> BE SERIOUS???? At that mileage you could use them forever
> with no problems.

*Nothing* lasts forever.

> You could quite easily run barefoot at that level.

I've read alot of the old posts in this NG, and I've seen
the "running barefoot" mentioned frequently. I haven't
drilled down though to examine exactly what the reasoning is
behind it. At first I imagined people out there running with
no shoes...bare feet pounding the pavement.

As long as you brought it up, care to explain what the
advantage is to running barefoot? And is my low mileage one
of the criteria for doing so?

> Your shoes are dieing from old age, not excess mileage.

Yeah yeah yeah, I catch your drift. Hey, not everyone is a
hard core runner doing 50+ miles a week. Sure my 16 mpw may
seem paltry to you, but you know what?...it works for me.
After my 4 miles in 40 minutes I have an endorphin high that
lasts 4 or 5 HOURS, sometimes longer. I love it. I'm not
pushing the envelope, I run at a relaxed, enjoyable pace,
recovery from my runs is a breeze. At 44, my overall fitness
level is excellent, I feel great, my bp is 100/66, resting
heart rate is around 50.

If it'll make ya feel any better, this summer I plan on
adding one more run day per week...upping my weekly mileage
to 20. LOL

Happy running.
post #9 of 12

Re: How long do after market insoles last?

My spenco insoles last maybe 3-4 pairs of running shoes then
get moved into my everyday shoes.

---

http://runners4bush2004.rantweb.com
post #10 of 12

"buck" <whowhat@covad.net> wrote in message news:<3fb39$40780096$4503c835$23483@msgid.meganewsservers.com>...
> I take out the original insoles in every new pair of shoes
> and throw them away...They are pretty much worthless and
> that's where the manufacturers shave costs. I insert
> Spencos green ones (approx $12) and they last forever. I
> throw them away when the green starts tearing up. I don't
> know what the material is made of but it is tough stuff.
> Replaceing your 587s very 500 miles could probably be
> extending to a couple of thousand with new insoles... JMHO

You are a fool. These inserts are part of the design of the
shoe, each brand and model vary according to the shoe. By
removing these (I've never had a pair wear out before the
shoes) you are taking your chances on injurys. They maybe
cheap, but they are superior to most store bought inserts,
and are an integral part of any shoe. Why should a shoe
company spend a lot on an insert when the ones currently in
use outlast the shoe? If you wear it out then you are
wearing too large a shoe, by a smaller size.
post #11 of 12

"Bethowmuch" <bethowmuch@aol.com> wrote in message
> >You are a fool. These inserts are part of the design of
> >the shoe,
>
> The best thing I ever did for my running shoes and my feet
> was to trash
the
> thin flimsy piece of junk insoles that come in them,
> replacing them with a quality insole for around $15 The
> shoes last much longer and I tend to
have
> fewer foot problems.

You have been trolled.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
down constantly."
post #12 of 12

Re: How long do after market insoles last?

How could you POSSIBLY have foot problems doing 6 miles a
week? That's a JOKE! I do 9 a day with no foot problems.
Lets face it, you're just a pussy.

bethowmuch@aol.com (Bethowmuch) wrote in message news:<20040412091714.22557.00000198@mb-
m19.aol.com>...
> >You are a fool. These inserts are part of the design of
> >the shoe,
>
> The best thing I ever did for my running shoes and my feet
> was to trash the thin flimsy piece of junk insoles that
> come in them, replacing them with a quality insole for
> around $15 The shoes last much longer and I tend to have
> fewer foot problems.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Fitness