Vintage Motobecane Frame Material

Larry Gray

Guest
Hello,
Does anyone out know if Motobecane produced any aluminum frame bikes in
the early 80's? If so, what model was it? I test road a Motobecane racing
bike in 1982, and it was the lightest, fastest bike I've ever rode, but
can't remember the model. I bought the Grand Touring instead, which I've
road on and off for the last 22 years. Since I'm now doing sprint duathlons,
and have spare Motobecane parts, and not alot of money, I would love to find
an early 80's Motobecane racing bike.

Thanks,
Larry

"Larry Gray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
> Does anyone out know if Motobecane produced any aluminum frame bikes in
> the early 80's? If so, what model was it? I test road a Motobecane racing
> bike in 1982, and it was the lightest, fastest bike I've ever rode, but
> can't remember the model. I bought the Grand Touring instead, which I've
> road on and off for the last 22 years. Since I'm now doing sprint duathlons,
> and have spare Motobecane parts, and not alot of money, I would love to find
> an early 80's Motobecane racing bike.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Hi Larry, I am unsure about Motobecane making aluminum frames in the
'80's? They possibly did.

Top of the line Motobecane back in the '70's-early '80's was the
Motobecane Le Champion. I had one of these myself, All Black, with Red
Pinstripe with full Campy Nouvo Record Group. This particular bike's
frame was Reynolds 531 Lugged Steel. For a Steel Frame, is was
extremely light, and fast.

There's a very specail place in my heart for these older Lugged Steel
frame bikes, and a few various others, like the Gitane, LeJeune (sp).

From what I understand, Motbecane still makes a decent bike, but I
believe everything now is made in Asia, not France.

There's a site online listing many vintage bikes, and thier history.
I think this one was Sheldon Brown's "baby". I'm hoping someone here
can point you to this site. It's a great read, and it may help you a
bit with Motobecane's history/models. Mark D.

Mark wrote:

> "Larry Gray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Hello,
>> Does anyone out know if Motobecane produced any aluminum frame bikes in
>>the early 80's? If so, what model was it? I test road a Motobecane racing
>>bike in 1982, and it was the lightest, fastest bike I've ever rode, but
>>can't remember the model. I bought the Grand Touring instead, which I've
>>road on and off for the last 22 years. Since I'm now doing sprint duathlons,
>>and have spare Motobecane parts, and not alot of money, I would love to find
>>an early 80's Motobecane racing bike.

They, like all French manufacturers if the era, sold a
rebadged Vitus 979 at that time.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"Larry Gray" wrote:
> Does anyone out know if Motobecane produced any aluminum frame bikes

in
> the early 80's? If so, what model was it? I test road a Motobecane racing
> bike in 1982, and it was the lightest, fastest bike I've ever rode, but
> can't remember the model. I bought the Grand Touring instead, which I've
> road on and off for the last 22 years. Since I'm now doing sprint

duathlons,
> and have spare Motobecane parts, and not alot of money, I would love to

find
> an early 80's Motobecane racing bike.

The Model you're thinking of was the Motobecane Prolite (or Prolight) of
circa 1982. It used Vitus aluminum tubing.

Art Harris

On 2004-07-15, Larry Gray <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone out know if Motobecane produced any aluminum frame bikes in
> the early 80's? If so, what model was it? I test road a Motobecane racing
> bike in 1982, and it was the lightest, fastest bike I've ever rode, but
> can't remember the model. I bought the Grand Touring instead, which I've
> road on and off for the last 22 years. Since I'm now doing sprint duathlons,
> and have spare Motobecane parts, and not alot of money, I would love to find
> an early 80's Motobecane racing bike.

I don't recall that they ever produced their own Al frame, but it is
entirely possible that Vitus frames could have been sold under the
Motobecane name in that period.

--

-John ([email protected])

John Thompson wrote:
> I don't recall that they ever produced their own Al frame, but it is
> entirely possible that Vitus frames could have been sold under the
> Motobecane name in that period.

That's correct, a Vitus 979 in dark blue anodize finish,
rebadged Motobecane