or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

post #1 of 17
Mr.AoSD wrote:

"Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the
pasta in with the sauce before refrigerating."

I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it
came from, what it meant. He didn't know either, even though
he kept using it. Does anyone there know? Nancree
post #2 of 17

Re: What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

"Pure -D"... yoose asking moi?

( ^ )( ^ )

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
post #3 of 17

Nancree wrote:
> Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the
> pasta in with the sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it
> came from, what it meant. He didn't know either, even
> though he kept using it. Does anyone there know?

"purdy" = pretty ?
post #4 of 17

Re: What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

Several people suggested it might mean "pretty". No, it is
used in the sense of "absolutely" or "totally", or "very
much". For instance, "I am pure-D expecting to win". Or, "I
am pure-D angry with him." Keep on suggesting . (:-)
Thanks, Nancree

> Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the
> pasta in with the sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it
> came from, what it meant. He didn't know either, even
> though he kept using it. Does anyone there know?
-------------------------------
leebee wrote: "purdy" = pretty ?
post #5 of 17

"Nancree" <nancree@aol.com> wrote in message
> Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
> "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the
> pasta in with
the
> sauce before refrigerating."
>
> I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it
> came from, what
it
> meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using
> it. Does anyone
there
> know? Nancree

Okay, I've heard pure-t and t-mortal before...I believe pure-
t to mean the real deal. -Ginny
post #6 of 17

Nancree wrote:
> Several people suggested it might mean "pretty". No, it is
> used in the sense of "absolutely" or "totally", or "very
> much". For instance, "I am pure-D expecting to win". Or,
> "I am pure-D angry with him." Keep on suggesting . (:-)

But it's not uncommon for people to say "I am pretty sure"
or, "That's pretty much what he said", or "That's a pretty
big helping you've got there !"

All of those meaning, to some degree, 'very' ...
although it's just a filler word meaning nothing really,
as it's the word following "pretty" that holds the key.
Same with Pure-D ?

ie: take away the "pretty" or the "Pure-D" and you get:

"I am expecting to win". "I am angry with him." "I am
sure" "That's what he said" "That's a big helping you've
got there !"
post #7 of 17

Re: What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

It's a reference to a quality rating for so-called
"invert" sugar. The best stuff is almost pure
d-glucose, hence it is called "pure d". The
lowest quality is a 50/50 mixture of d-glucose
and l-fructose, d and l referring to the direction
that they rotate polarized light. (Not to be confused
with D and L, which refer to derivation from
D- and L-glyceraldehyde. :-)
post #8 of 17

Re: What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

In article <407CC2C5.FA5C0C59@sonic.net>,
Mark Thorson <nospam@sonic.net> wrote:
>It's a reference to a quality rating for so-called "invert"
>sugar. The best stuff is almost pure d-glucose, hence it is
>called "pure d". The lowest quality is a 50/50 mixture of
>d-glucose and l-fructose, d and l referring to the
>direction that they rotate polarized light. (Not to be
>confused with D and L, which refer to derivation from D-
>and L-glyceraldehyde. :-)

Actually, I thought the subject line was a reference to the
size of a woman's breasts.

-A
post #9 of 17

(Nancree) writes:

>Mr.AoSD wrote:
>
>"Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the
>pasta in with the sauce before refrigerating."
>
>I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where it
>came from, what it meant. He didn't know either, even
>though he kept using it. Does anyone there know?

Absent any origin story of my own I'm inclined to accept
Mark Thorson's explanation downthread.

'Sides, them ole boys I larnt it from cooked their own
shine.

Best,

Marc
post #10 of 17

On 14 Apr 2004 02:27:49 GMT, Nancree wrote:

> Or, "I am pure-D angry with him." Keep on suggesting .

I am pretty angry with him. Doh!
--
Tim C.
post #11 of 17

Tim Challenger wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2004 02:27:49 GMT, Nancree wrote:
>

>>Or, "I am pure-D angry with him." Keep on suggesting .
>

> I am pretty angry with him. Doh!

Jumping in a bit late in the thread, but I think this is
usually associated with a southern vernacular and if it is,
"pretty" was corrupted to "purdy" or "pur-dee" and
consequently, "pure D."

Maybe, maybe not.

jim
post #12 of 17

Re: What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:57:54 -0400, "A.C."
<email@address.com> wrote:

> > "Yes. I'm just pure-D hopin' Moss-wallah didn't mix the
> > pasta in with
> the
> > sauce before refrigerating."
> >
> > I had a friend who used to say this. I asked him where
> > it came from, what
> it
> > meant. He didn't know either, even though he kept using
> > it. Does anyone
> there
> > know? Nancree
> >
> i've always heard it used as "pure-t" and for me it had
> the meaning of completely, totally or absolutely.

Pure is pronounced pyur and that's why the rest of us didn't
understand. Why spell it with an e when pur would make more
sense? Pur-t.

> i grew up in the southeastern us aka redneck country and
> heard it quite often then. i don't hear it much anymore.
> tv and radio are slowly homogenizing america.

You can talk that way among friends (if you are conversant
in standard English too), but it's not okay when NYC
advertisers pander to the public by using nonstandard,
regional English.

post #13 of 17

Reg wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > It's a reference to a quality rating for so-called
> > "invert" sugar. The best stuff is almost pure d-glucose,
> > hence it is called "pure d". The lowest quality is a
> > 50/50 mixture of d-glucose and l-fructose, d and l
> > referring to the direction that they rotate polarized
> > light. (Not to be confused with D and L, which refer to
> > derivation from D- and L-glyceraldehyde. :-)
>
> Finally, an authoritative answer. I assume you're a baker.

Actually, I perform leg surgery. :-)
post #14 of 17

Re: What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

On 15 Apr 2004 02:02:43 GMT, nancree@aol.com (Nancree)
wrote:

> Tashi_Aunt wrote:
> >I also spent time down South. I heard it as purelly
> >meaning absolutely.
> ------------------------
> Yes, but what does the "D" stand for? Nancree
> -----------------------

pur-dee = pretty... as in pretty darned good.

post #15 of 17

Re: What does "Pure-D" mean? Anyone??

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:59:20 -0400, Peggy Sullivan
<sullivap@wilkes.edu> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > Pure is pronounced pyur and that's why the rest of us
> > didn't understand. Why spell it with an e when pur
> > would make more sense? Pur-t.
> >

> My experience is that pure-d or pure-t is not pronounced
> like "purty" and means something different than "purty".
> To me, pure-d means completely or totally and "purty" or
> pretty means somewhat.

I guess our humor excapes you Southerners in that case. >G<
There is always a certain amount of irony or dry humor
involved when us Northerners call something "pretty" good.

> Calling a meal "pretty good" and calling it "pure-d good"
> are two very different things.

Apparently so, if you're South o' the Mason Dixon line. So,
pure-d probably means purely delicious.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition