Chris Carmichael-Phil Jackson comparison

Ronde Champ

Guest
Hey,

Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
Lance will win 6 titles.
Michael won 6 titles.
People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
high school basketball coach.....at best.

Thanks,
Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

"Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey,
>
> Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
> Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
> Lance will win 6 titles.
> Michael won 6 titles.
> People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
> People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
> Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
> high school basketball coach.....at best.
>
> Thanks,
> Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

I think you're mixing apples and oranges. You're also counting chickens
before they hatch.

I don't think Carmichael holds a candle to Jackson. Jackson brought out the
best in Jordan, but also built a team, an offense and a defense (the likes
of which the NBA hadn't seen before [with plenty of help from Tex ...
Winter?]) that enabled Jordan and the Jordanaires to dominate the NBA and
blow away formidable opponents. I think Carmichael does a good job of doing
research and synthesizing it and making up programs that work for Lance.
But he has no organizational or administrative responsibility for the team
or its performance. He just has to make sure Lance is ready. Period.

Now, if you want to compare Jackson and Bruyneel, lets talk in a couple of
weeks.

Bob C.

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey,
> >
> > Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
> > Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
> > Lance will win 6 titles.
> > Michael won 6 titles.
> > People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
> > People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
> > Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
> > high school basketball coach.....at best.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

> I think you're mixing apples and oranges. You're also counting chickens
> before they hatch.
>
> I don't think Carmichael holds a candle to Jackson. Jackson brought out

the
> best in Jordan, but also built a team, an offense and a defense (the likes
> of which the NBA hadn't seen before [with plenty of help from Tex ...
> Winter?]) that enabled Jordan and the Jordanaires to dominate the NBA and
> blow away formidable opponents. I think Carmichael does a good job of

doing
> research

What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to read?

> and synthesizing it and making up programs that work for Lance.
> But he has no organizational or administrative responsibility for the team
> or its performance. He just has to make sure Lance is ready. Period.
>
> Now, if you want to compare Jackson and Bruyneel, lets talk in a couple of
> weeks.

Andy Coggan

Andy Coggan wrote:

> What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
> read?

It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
research is only comprised of benchwork.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy Coggan wrote:
> >
> > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
> > read?
> >

> It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
> research is only comprised of benchwork.

Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on the
internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
Carmichael performed.

Andy Coggan

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy Coggan wrote:
> >
> > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
> > read?
> >

> It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
> research is only comprised of benchwork.

Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on the
internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
Carmichael performed.

Andy Coggan

> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > Chris Carmichael coaches Lance Armstrong.
> > > Phil Jackson coached Michael Jordan.
> > > Lance will win 6 titles.
> > > Michael won 6 titles.
> > > People call Chris a genius Sports Science guru.
> > > People call Phil a genius Zen guru.
> > > Without Lance and Michael, Chris and Phil are a bike shop manager and
> > > high school basketball coach.....at best.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ronde Champ (w/teeth)

> > I think you're mixing apples and oranges. You're also counting chickens
> > before they hatch.
> >
> > I don't think Carmichael holds a candle to Jackson. Jackson brought out

> the
> > best in Jordan, but also built a team, an offense and a defense (the

likes
> > of which the NBA hadn't seen before [with plenty of help from Tex ...
> > Winter?]) that enabled Jordan and the Jordanaires to dominate the NBA

and
> > blow away formidable opponents. I think Carmichael does a good job of

> doing
> > research

> What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to read?

Exactly

psycholist <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think Carmichael does a good job of doing
> research and synthesizing it and making up programs that work for Lance.
> But he has no organizational or administrative responsibility for the team
> or its performance. He just has to make sure Lance is ready. Period.

Since when is Carmichael LANCE's coach?

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Andy
Coggan <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Andy Coggan wrote:
> > >
> > > What research is that? Or do you mean that he simply knows how to
> > > read?
> > >

> > It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
> > research is only comprised of benchwork.

> Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on the
> internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
> Carmichael performed.

Presumably he can read the data that Lance and the Doc are sharing with
him. Is this coaching, research, or ...?

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:060720040822273686%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy
> Coggan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > It's pretty narrow minded (especially for a scientist) to think that
> > > research is only comprised of benchwork.

> > Of course there are many types of research, including reading things on

the
> > internet - but I wanted to know what sort of research the o.p. thought
> > Carmichael performed.

> Presumably he can read the data that Lance and the Doc are sharing with
> him. Is this coaching, research, or ...?

It's clearly coaching, since research is shared endeavor.

Andy Coggan