beat the bus and accident question

Doug Purdy

Guest
Nice ride in this morning. Most of the lights went my way and I got to
work in 40 minutes, 5 minutes faster than the bus/subway. And not even
riding my faster bike. And for a change, no one passed me! ;)

On the way home and SUV just had to go through the stoplight when the
traffic was backed up so she was still in the intersection after the
light changed. I started out to go into front of her, clipped in and
then she wheeled around to try for the slow lane ... right where I would
be in a millisecond. I braked to full stop while trying to turn behind
her, leaving me way overbalanced to my right and of course I fell right
down in the intersection breaking my pump mount with my knee and
bruising my hands.

My question is, should I have asked her to pay me $30 for a new pump? If
she didn't could she get a ticket for leaving the scene? This question
is for next time, as usual in an accident I get dumb and don't think of
what I should do until later.

Doug
For email, a sense of wonder.

"Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My question is, should I have asked her to pay me $30 for a new pump? If
> she didn't could she get a ticket for leaving the scene? This question
> is for next time, as usual in an accident I get dumb and don't think of
> what I should do until later.

Probably it would be good to tell the police what happened and ask them what
can be done.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:24:56 GMT, "Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nice ride in this morning. Most of the lights went my way and I got to
>work in 40 minutes, 5 minutes faster than the bus/subway. And not even
>riding my faster bike. And for a change, no one passed me! ;)
>
>On the way home and SUV just had to go through the stoplight when the
>traffic was backed up so she was still in the intersection after the
>light changed. I started out to go into front of her, clipped in and
>then she wheeled around to try for the slow lane ... right where I would
>be in a millisecond. I braked to full stop while trying to turn behind
>her, leaving me way overbalanced to my right and of course I fell right
>down in the intersection breaking my pump mount with my knee and
>bruising my hands.
>
>My question is, should I have asked her to pay me $30 for a new pump? If
>she didn't could she get a ticket for leaving the scene? This question
>is for next time, as usual in an accident I get dumb and don't think of
>what I should do until later.

I don't know about the legal aspects, but according to my reading of your
post, she didn't actually touch you with her car, right?

In that case, I don't think you have one. A case, that is. Witnesses? Get
her name, and insurance co? I guess if she stopped and offered aid, that's
a good thing. If she didn't 'admit' responsibility in front of witnesses
whom you acquired contact info from, you're probably out of luck, IMO.

Sorry it happened to ya, though. :-(

-B

wrote:
>be in a millisecond. I braked to full stop while trying to turn behind
>her, leaving me way overbalanced to my right and of course I fell right
>down in the intersection breaking my pump mount with my knee and
>bruising my hands.
>
>My question is, should I have asked her to pay me $30 for a new pump? If
>she didn't could she get a ticket for leaving the scene? This question
>is for next time, as usual in an accident I get dumb and don't think of
>what I should do until later.

Nope, there was no collision, she made a mistake and you didn't ride
defensively enough. I'd call it a cheap learning experience and
replace the pump mount with $5 worth of velcro.

Here's my today story:
Approaching a short, narrow bridge just before a moderately
dangerous intersection at 23mph, car horn honks behind me and passes
me ON THE BRIDGE, only to have to stop short at the intersection in
front of me. Then, with no other traffic at the intersection, my
young male instinct kicks in and I yell (in an angry white male
construction worker voice) "What, now I gotta wait behind you??!!
Move it!! GO!!". He yelled something back while I was yelling, but I
don't know what he said.

BTW, car was a new Nissan Z.

My response was NOT the best possible response. What would have
been? Claire, you reading this?
--
Rick Onanian

On 12 May 2004 00:44:06 GMT, [email protected] (R15757) wrote:
>dude I would call a lawyer immediately

For a broken pump mount and a skinned knee that could have been
prevented by more defensive riding and less trusting of a soccer mom
in an oversized SUV?

Isn't that a bit of an overreaction?
--
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:23:12 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

>Here's my today story:
>Approaching a short, narrow bridge just before a moderately
>dangerous intersection at 23mph, car horn honks behind me and passes
>me ON THE BRIDGE, only to have to stop short at the intersection in
>front of me. Then, with no other traffic at the intersection, my
>young male instinct kicks in and I yell (in an angry white male
>construction worker voice) "What, now I gotta wait behind you??!!
>Move it!! GO!!". He yelled something back while I was yelling, but I
>don't know what he said.
>
>BTW, car was a new Nissan Z.
>
>My response was NOT the best possible response. What would have
>been? Claire, you reading this?

Zip by and hope the driver's side window was open? I mean we all have to
spit now and then, eh?

My story. I was tooling along the bike path at about 13mph, when suddenly
on my left a guy on a street bike buzzes me. Mildly startling. Enough so,
that I hollar 'be nice if you'd say passing on your left'.

Well he slowed to ride beside me and patronizingly explained how this is
not good, b/c some ppl move left. Then he asks me if I 'understand'. Well,
by this time, already in full testosterone workout mode, I'm starting to
fume. He says 'you're not talking...?'.

I was able to resist, but almost cussed him out.

Should I have? (he was fit and strong, but not at all in my league, should
it turn physical)

-B

"R15757" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dude I would call a lawyer immediately

Thats whats wrong with people today. They have a little trouble and
immediatly want to make a federal case of it. Geez, calm down for a minute
and think.

Dan.

Badger_South wrote:

> My story. I was tooling along the bike path at about 13mph, when
> suddenly on my left a guy on a street bike buzzes me. Mildly
> startling. Enough so, that I hollar 'be nice if you'd say passing on
> your left'.
>
> Well he slowed to ride beside me and patronizingly explained how this
> is not good, b/c some ppl move left. Then he asks me if I
> 'understand'. Well, by this time, already in full testosterone
> workout mode, I'm starting to fume. He says 'you're not talking...?'.
>
> I was able to resist, but almost cussed him out.
>
> Should I have? (he was fit and strong, but not at all in my league,
> should it turn physical)

Well, if you were too mad to even talk, then I'd say you over-reacted just a
tad :)

What he SHOULD do (and hardly any "racer boy" types seem to subscribe to
this) is to announce his presence/intention from well behind you, so that if
in fact you do move left he can still avoid a collision.

A lot depends on the width of the path, and also the grade. If it's narrow
and fast, then passing like that is both rude and dangerous IMNSOEO (E =
experienced). OTOH, if he passed well clear of you on a slower section,
then just mutter to yourself "I could go that fast...IF I really wanted to"
and let it go.

Bill "favorite coastal route full of inconsiderate clubbies" S.

<< For a broken pump mount and a skinned knee that could have been
prevented by more defensive riding and less trusting of a soccer mom
in an oversized SUV?

Isn't that a bit of an overreaction? >>

Rick I got two words for you: LAW YER

No actually the proper response to the heinous assault which was
perpetrated on the OP is (1) pull a gun (2) call a lawyer. Oh and (3)
snap polaroids of the license plate. (You should be able to take
pictures with one hand and hold the gun with the other.) If she tries
to drive away, shoot her tires out. If she keeps driving on her rims,
unaware that her tires have been shot out (old ladies always keep
driving after their tires are shot out!) try for the engine block. IT IS
IMPERATIVE THAT THIS DRIVER BE REMOVED FROM THE TRAFFIC
SYSTEM. Also, collect the shards of the pump mount and take a
digital pic, and get an estimate from a reputable shop. Your lawyer
will know how to proceed as per the offender's insurance company.
This may involve getting a doctor's note for bruised hands.

Robert

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> construction worker voice) "What, now I gotta wait behind you??!!
> Move it!! GO!!". He yelled something back while I was yelling, but I
> don't know what he said.
>
> My response was NOT the best possible response. What would have
> been? Claire, you reading this?
> --

Better response than this one from this week's headlines:
Pedestrian gets angry that SUV has pulled up into crosswalk (may have grazed
him).
Has words with driver; they get into an altercation involving a small
souvenir baseball bat (near Wrigley Field).
Passenger in SUV gets out, shoots pedestrian's brother dead.

A fuller version from the Chicago Tribune:
"The shooting victim, Frank Hernandez, 26, was one of several men involved
in a fight ... when an SUV either bumped some pedestrians or came close.
Rodrigo Caballero, 22, of the 1400 block of West Fry Street, was charged
with murder Friday, and prosecutors said he fired one fatal shot into
Hernandez's chest.

"Cook County Circuit Court Judge Kevin Michael Sheehan on Saturday ordered
Caballero held without bail, citing an appellate court ruling that mandates
bail be denied in cases of murder in which the defendant is alleged to have
used a gun.

"Hernandez's brother allegedly hit William Lopez, the driver of the SUV,
with a souvenir baseball bat,.... Caballero then got out of the car with a 9
mm handgun and fired once, striking Hernandez in the chest, she said."

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 12 May 2004 00:44:06 GMT, [email protected] (R15757) wrote:
> >dude I would call a lawyer immediately

> For a broken pump mount and a skinned knee that could have been
> prevented by more defensive riding and less trusting of a soccer mom
> in an oversized SUV?
>
> Isn't that a bit of an overreaction?
> --

By any chance is R15757 a lawyer?

I really can't see that the O.P., with no witnesses, and no physical contact
with the car, has much chance of collecting.

So he lost a $30 pump mount. Personally, I'd pay $30 not to talk to a
lawyer. (in a professional sense, not a social sense).

"R15757" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> << For a broken pump mount and a skinned knee that could have been
> prevented by more defensive riding and less trusting of a soccer mom
> in an oversized SUV?
>
> Isn't that a bit of an overreaction? >>
>

> Rick I got two words for you: LAW YER
>
> No actually the proper response to the heinous assault which was
> perpetrated on the OP is (1) pull a gun (2) call a lawyer. Oh and (3)
> snap polaroids of the license plate. (You should be able to take
> pictures with one hand and hold the gun with the other.) If she tries
> to drive away, shoot her tires out. If she keeps driving on her rims,
> unaware that her tires have been shot out (old ladies always keep
> driving after their tires are shot out!) try for the engine block. IT IS
> IMPERATIVE THAT THIS DRIVER BE REMOVED FROM THE TRAFFIC
> SYSTEM. Also, collect the shards of the pump mount and take a
> digital pic, and get an estimate from a reputable shop. Your lawyer
> will know how to proceed as per the offender's insurance company.
> This may involve getting a doctor's note for bruised hands.

Oh, I see. I missed the satire of your original post.

Mike "Can I sue somebody for being humor impaired?" Kruger

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:24:56 GMT, "Doug Purdy" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> Here's my today story:
> Approaching a short, narrow bridge just before a moderately
> dangerous intersection at 23mph, car horn honks behind me and passes
> me ON THE BRIDGE, only to have to stop short at the intersection in
> front of me. Then, with no other traffic at the intersection, my
> young male instinct kicks in and I yell (in an angry white male
> construction worker voice) "What, now I gotta wait behind you??!!
> Move it!! GO!!". He yelled something back while I was yelling, but I
> don't know what he said.
>
> My response was NOT the best possible response. What would have
> been?

Just yell out the following to every driver who makes you mad:

"89 Cents per litre!!"

That should turn their faces red.

"Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in news:s9eoc.39886$n7P1.8674
@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

> Nice ride in this morning. Most of the lights went my way and I got to
> work in 40 minutes, 5 minutes faster than the bus/subway. And not even
> riding my faster bike. And for a change, no one passed me! ;)
>
> On the way home and SUV just had to go through the stoplight when the
> traffic was backed up so she was still in the intersection after the
> light changed. I started out to go into front of her, clipped in and
> then she wheeled around to try for the slow lane ... right where I would
> be in a millisecond. I braked to full stop while trying to turn behind
> her, leaving me way overbalanced to my right and of course I fell right
> down in the intersection breaking my pump mount with my knee and
> bruising my hands.
>
> My question is, should I have asked her to pay me $30 for a new pump? If
> she didn't could she get a ticket for leaving the scene? This question
> is for next time, as usual in an accident I get dumb and don't think of
> what I should do until later.
>
> Doug
> For email, a sense of wonder.

As others have said, pass it off and learn from the experience. The lesson
here is anticipate and avoid. Going to the front is riskier than cutting
behind her. Both are risks though. Try to establish eye contact. If some
traffic is flowing I generally try to merge briefly with it and pass behind
the bonehead. If you're not ok with that then chilling till the
intersection clears is the remaining option. The worst outcome from that
is waiting through another cycle.

Speaking of cycles, learn and use the OODA (observe, orient, decide, act,)
loop. A fighter pilot came up with it but it applies on the road too.

In my locality blocking the intersection like that is worth a $101 fine,
but that's only a thing if there's a cop right there.

199 mike

Sounds like the experience I have at least once a week. I ride around
4:30-5 in the morning, and the only drivers out are a few early people
and the newspaper delivery drivers.

Unfortunatley, at that hour everyone thinks they can get away with
murder in their cars, and all try to. Every morning for the past week,
I have actually seen the same newspaper car driving the wrong way down
a busy road with it's lights on to deliver papers. Then last week one
SUV stopped and started backing up, swerving towards me. They got a
few of my angry white male phrases yelled at them as well.

Grr.

On 12 May 2004 02:06:30 GMT, [email protected] (R15757) wrote:

>If she tries
>to drive away, shoot her tires out. If she keeps driving on her rims,
>unaware that her tires have been shot out (old ladies always keep
>driving after their tires are shot out!) try for the engine block.

I'm with you to here. What are you carrying to get to the engine block
through an SUV from behind? Isn't the gas tank a better target?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

wrote:

>Then, with no other traffic at the intersection, my
>young male instinct kicks in and I yell (in an angry white male
>construction worker voice) "What, now I gotta wait behind you??!!
>Move it!! GO!!". He yelled something back while I was yelling, but I
>don't know what he said.
>
>BTW, car was a new Nissan Z.
>
>My response was NOT the best possible response. What would have
>been? Claire, you reading this?

Did that once. The car stopped and a really huge guy got out. When he
said, "You really shouldn't have said that." I just nodded. He got
back in and drove away. Later I figured out that it was a split
decision anyway who was right, once I calmed down from two adrenalin
spikes.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:29:35 GMT, "Rabid Lemur"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just yell out the following to every driver who makes you mad:
>
>"89 Cents per litre!!"
>
>That should turn their faces red.

In the U.S., IF they heard you, their response would be, "I'm not
littering."

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...