Thank You Memphis Unicycle Club

bugman

Guest
I just wanted to take a moment and thank Tommy(Super Human) Thompson and
everyone else at MUC for a great weekend. Keith, Reid and I traveled to
Memphis for the Wolfman Duathalon. I rode more this weekend than any
other 10 days since I started unicycling. I had a great time. I would
like to thank Tommy and his gracious wife Rody for being such wonderful
hosts.

Saturday, Keith and I got to ride with Tommy, Tom and Charles to get a
feel for the trail. I held up the group, but Tommy doubled back, took
side trails, rode off across the meadows to make sure I wasn't left
behind. I think Tommy may be an allien! I have never seen so much
energy in one person!

After the ride we went back to Tommy's and rode our trials uni's for
another 4 hours. Probably not the best idea since we had a race the
next morning. What can I say, we were having fun.
:D Tommy came out and hopped up and down stairs like he was walking up
and down them, basically took Keith and I to school. Now I understand
MemphisMud saying he is a student of Grandmaster 2T.

Around 6:30-7:00 others from the club showed up at Tommy and Rody's for
some BBQ. Great food, great company. I really enjoyed meeting everyone
and seeing so many kids excited about riding. They were like bees
buzzing around. We watched the new MUC promotional video, that was very
nicely done. When the club sets up their tent it will be a great tool.
I hope that someday we can have a club as "together" as Tommy's here in
Atlanta.

This morning we awoke on time in-spite of the time moving forward an
hour. Keith, Reid and I headed to the race. Keith and I were
determined not to run the 3.2 and 1 mile run that surrounded the the 6
1/2 mile ride. Keith hit the jackpot and got a local named Jeff Skinner
to run for him. I had a little more trouble finding a runner.
Undaunted, I asked the race promoter if I could use the same runner. He
said sure. So Jeff ran the first 3 miles for both of us at the same
time, than tagged us as he came in. This actually gave us a head start
on Tommy before he could change at the transition. That didn't last
long though. Keith was on a SH 29" and I was on a KH24. We left the
gates together but after we hit the flats and a long downhill I never
saw him again. Keith finished the ride in 1 hour 11 minutes. I
finished about 10 minutes later, after laying in the middle of the last
hill with extreme leg cramps. When I got in my "Keiths" runner had
already gotten back from the last mile for Keith, tagged me and set off
for another mile for me! For his trouble he got 2 very cool race shirts
N/C and medaled with 2 relay groups.

Reid on the other hand was an all out trooper and ran the whole thing,
and did the uni on his 24" Schwinn with brand spanking new hookworm
tire. (Interesting story behind origin of said Uni)

Now here is the best part, Tommy finished the entire race in an hour
and 11 minutes. He even finished before 5 bikers.(keep in mind we were
held back 10 minutes from the bikers).

I had a great time, and can't wait until I recover so I can get back out
there an train for the next event. I am going to ride a lot more miles
before I do this again.

Another good part is they had awards for the 2 groups of unicyclists.
Relay teams and Solo. We were so good, all of us medaled!:D Officialy I
came in third in the relay teams. Way I figure it I came in first in my
category since I was the only one in my group that had a 24" Keith
finished first in his realy group with the 29" and I believe it was Greg
and his son who finished first overall(Relay), and first in the 26"
group.;) Actually the medal was cool, but the experience was the best
part.

Again Thanks to Tommy and all the great people at MUC that showed us
such a good time. Made the 6+ hour drive each way worth while.

***Reid next time we have to carpool. That is not a drive to make
alone.

--
bugman - Professional Assasin

forget_your_life wrote:
> *dude i like your video's and think that your most likely a cool guy
> in person but why do you have to be such a jack-ass online? *

I guess everyone else who attended is nursing their wounds.:p

I actually feel pretty good today. My knees, which were sore yesterday
morning feel great, and my legs are only slightly sore. I was expecting
this to be Advil Week. I do have a couple of bruises that are tender
from catching the seat of Chirokid's(Keith)
29'er as I UPDed. Other than that I am feeling good.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

bugman wrote:
> *I guess everyone else who attended is nursing their wounds.:p *

I made such an "old man noise" getting out of a chair yesterday that two
of my family poked their worried heads in the room to check on me.

Thanks to Kieth, Chad, and Reid for making that trek. I know that's a
lot of driving. Eight MUniers crashing a Mountain Bike Race must set
some kind of record. And you did take home medals!!! Its too bad I could
not spend more of Saturday playing. (Kid's big competition). We look
forward to coming your way...MUni season 2004 is just beginning!

Very Special thanks to Tommy and Rody for making our guests so welcomed
and comfortable.

I cannot ****** the pebble. I am not worthy.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Memphis Mud <[email protected]> wrote:
)
)bugman wrote:
)> *I guess everyone else who attended is nursing their wounds.:p *
)
)I made such an "old man noise" getting out of a chair yesterday that two
)of my family poked their worried heads in the room to check on me.

No old man noises!
Try "oh YEAH!" instead.

)Thanks to Kieth, Chad, and Reid for making that trek. I know that's a
)lot of driving. Eight MUniers crashing a Mountain Bike Race must set
)some kind of record.

We had 12 at last year's 24 Hours of Adrenaline in Laguna Seca.
-Tom

Tom Holub wrote:
> *We had 12 at last year's 24 Hours of Adrenaline in Laguna Seca.
> -Tom
> *

As the dude who died by poison in "Princess Bride" said,
"Incontheeevable!" Thats a huge accomplishment.
I rode in last year's Wolfpack Triathlon (on this same trail) as the
lonely Unicyclist. I can tell you it is 1000 times more enjoyable with a
sizeable "wobble" of Muniers than as a soloist.

Again let me thank all the MUCsters who put it all out there even tho
most have never raced before. And double saaaaaluuuutes to the honorary
MUCsters Keith, Chad, and Reid who traveled in for the event.

And we had quite a supply of non-racing MUCsters who added to the buzz.
Taking pictures, riding around, keeping it light. In fact, several of
our kids greeted each of our racers in the transition area and escorted
us through. My transition from rider to runner was a gracefull, seamless
work of choreography as I pealed off wristguards and handed them to one
MUCkid...camelback slid to another...and as I came off my 29er in a
fast run, my machine was smoothly recieved by Lovliest Wife and off I
went.

And you should see Tommy's display. Tent, logo-ed trailer, Pictures. Its
quite impressive and legitimate. I hope somebody took a photo of the
setup.

If you're interested, check out 'Pictures of the Wolfman Duathlon'
(http://www.baldwinphoto.net/pages/5/index.htm) .
You'll find Uniers on pages 1, 4, 8, 16, 17, 18

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Looks like he uploaded all the pictures he took of me. I saw him
snapping them off at a rapid pace as I road by. I think they came out
pretty good. I'll probably order some. I can't look at them very well
here at work. I will look again later at home.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Man-O-Man! I had a total BLAST last weekend!!
It was such a great time to share the weekend with so many great
people.

Bugman, thanks for your kind words. (Did I pay you enough to say all of
that?)

It was an awesome weekend! I strongly encourage anyone who is
considering throwing a uni-gathering to DO IT! Everybody enjoyed
getting together and playing and learning together – EVERYBODY!

Special thanks go to “Bugman”, “Chirokid”, and Reid for making the 7
hour drive from points east to visit us here in the Delta. (See you guys
in Atlanta on the 23rd!) and Wolf “Wolfman” Townsend for opening the
Wolfman Duathlon to unicycles. It was so great to look in Memphis’
local morning paper and see the results of the duathlon and see
“Unicycle Division!”

Rody and I had a wonderful time seeing everybody at our home and
celebrating the club’s second birthday.

It’s all good. No, it’s all GREAT!

Let’s do it again next year!
Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

I would like to do it again next year. I am planning on a lot more prep
for it though. I am going to start training much harder now that I have
a benchmark to judge myself against. I know what I did to prepare for
this year, and it was minimal. Maybe I need to start getting up at 5am
and train like Tommy. I never will be in as good a condition in shape
as Tommy was out of shape. His idea of out of shape is running a 6 1/2
minute mile!:eek: That was off road. My best 2 mile time 15 years ago
was 10min 54 sec. I was in the best shape of my life. I have a lot of
wear and tear on my body since then, so I am not expecting that kind of
time ever again.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Hey Bugman,

I'm still feelin' it - three days later. I even had a massage therapist
work on a knot in my calf while I was in Knoxville on Monday. Dang!
Gettin' old stinks.

I hope to get back into my rhythm and riding daily tomorrow. For today,
I’m still recovering.

You guys have to get us an excuse to get to Atlanta to play by arranging
to let us crash another mountain bike race.

I wrote a note to the Wolfman and thanked him for including us this
year. I think that we were the entertainment for the event.

Again, I had a wonderful weekend. The race itself was only a small part
of the fun. Putz’n around and being totally indulged in unicycling for
the weekend was the best!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Don't forget the freeride event in April. I will find the thread I
posted earlier and bump it. I hope we can get together when you come to
town for the wedding. I know you are trying your best to drive so you
can bring your Uni's.:D

I thought for sure it would take me a week to recover. I was not even
sore on Monday. Tuesday I was a little sore, but today I am feeling
great. In my experience I usually am sore for days after that kind of a
ride. Can't really say for sure what the difference was this time. I
was laying on the ground writhing in pain from leg cramps on Sunday, and
can say I have never had those before. Go figure?:confused: I pulled my
Uni out for the first time tonight for about 10 minutes. I will start
training again tomorrow.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Hi Guys! I am fully recovered too. Had a most wonderful time in
Memphis.

Tommy and Rody were great hosts. All the MUC gang, a wonderful bunch of
adults and children (sure wish I had the skills of 11 year old Sam).

Tom and Tommy were tons of fun our our Saturday prep-ride. Charlie was
amazing. However, I am most grateful for Jeff Skinner for being my
"Runner", and a very good runner at that. Thanks Jeff.

I am excited for next year. Now I just have to go ride some more.
--chirokid--

--
chirokid - Bug Killing Unicyclist

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Dang I really wanted to meet you guys...But I was busy working on our
new house and I kinda forgot about it. Oh well, after we move I will
probably be coming to the unicycle meetings on Tuesdays again.

--
Eublapharis13 - Hopefully I won't do this now!

Age doesn't matter...........unless you're a cheese.
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

bugman wrote:
> *Another good part is they had awards for the 2 groups of unicyclists.
> Relay teams and Solo. We were so good, all of us medaled!:D
> Officialy I came in third in the relay teams. Way I figure it I came
> in first in my category since I was the only one in my group that had
> a 24" Keith finished first in his realy group with the 29" and I
> believe it was Greg and his son who finished first overall(Relay), and
> first in the 26" group.;) Actually the medal was cool, but the
> experience was the best part.
> *

No Cokers?
Was the course Cokerable? Would a Coker have been faster than a 29er?

That's how you can improve your time next year. Next year do the
cycling leg on a Coker. :)

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Hi John,

We never thought that the course was "Cokerable" until Charles saw
Memphis Mud and me ride our 29ers there the day before. We have always
used 24" on this course and we sort of felt that we were pushing the
envelope by using 29ers. Not to be out-done, Charles showed up to the
race with his Coker. “Chirokid”, too, decided on Saturday night to try
a 29er for the race. I don't remember the time differences but all
three 29ers beat the Coker. No offense to Charles but I think the
results had more to do with conditioning than the wheel diameter.
Through the technical sections (about half of the 6.5 mile course) I
can't imagine riding a Coker and there is so much of it I can't imagine
running through the woods with one either. I didn't have a chance to ask
Charles, specifically how the ride went for him.

I had a ride that I created especially for this course. It is a Bedford
powder coated frame, C/F seat w/air and KH cover and Kinsport
handle/bumpers. The magic part of my ride is the wheel (of course). I
laced a Mavic tandem rim over a powder coated Suzue hub and, since it
was relatively dry, used a Schwalbe "Big Apple" for rubber. I used 155
cranks.

The Big Apple is amazing! It has tons of air to play with to adjust for
the perfect suspension. I weight about 145 and I ran it at 30 psi. It
was wonderfully nimble and super-duper fast through the woods. At some
places, it was frighteningly fast. Besides, the tire has that groovy
reflective strip that lights-up beautifully with flash photography in
the woods!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

A couple of nights ago I had a new unicycling experience. I had a dream
about unicycling, probably due to all the posting about this Wolfman
event. A key part of the dream was the playing and gathering at the
Thompson house. I remember Tommy from the dream, but can't recall
meeting Rody, just know she was there.

I guess I need to drive down next year for the event or be forced to
have another dream afterwards. By the way it was a good dream and the
hosting of the party by Tommy and Rody was appreciated in my dream as
well. :p

I am open to any interpretations of this dream. As if I need to
mention it, I'm sure some will be offered.

Dreaming and smiling! :cool:

Bill

--
billham

Direction is everything, distance is secondary.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

I concur with Tommy's "Man-o-man" review of the weekend. The race was so
much fun, and Tommy and Rody were so hospitable - thank you both for
everything.

Everybody out there please do yourself a favor and take part in one of
these muni & running races. It is a great challenge and is a fantastic
way to gain publicity for our sport. I'm getting the hankering to race
in a local "sprint" triathlon on my uni.

-Reid

P.S. The real reason Charles was slower on his Coker than the 29-er gang
was the aerodynamic drag caused by his smile he had plastered on his
face. He was having so much fun flying over the singletrack on the
Coker!

--
reidj - Looking for a uni-basketball game
reidj's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5755

reidj wrote:
> *I'm getting the hankering to race in a local "sprint" triathlon on my
> uni.
> -Reid-*

Reid, you are da man. Great to finally have you posting to the forum.
Let us know about the "sprint" triathlon, you might get some extra
visitors.

No matter what, I'll see you at Wolfman next year. I claim the left end
of the sofa. :D --chirokid--

--

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:38:27 -0500, "billham" wrote:

>I am open to any interpretations of this dream. As if I need to
>mention it, I'm sure some will be offered.

Did you know there is a "Gallery of unicycling dreams" thread in JC?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system