Helmets

tylercox

results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/31687
Question: Do you wear a helmet?

- Yes
- No
- Only when doing MUni
- Only when on the street

I do normal street riding along with some curb hopping, and I was just
wondering if I should wear a helmet? Does it look stupid? I'm not
doing MUni or anything, just street stuff.

--
tylercox - 10-year-old Unidude
tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

I would were a helment if I were you, your head is so important and you
might as well protect it. I don't think it looks dumb at all, the only
time I think wereing a helment is dumb is when your wereing a full face
when your just cuising around.
Brian

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuw09
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

You ride a unicycle in public and you're afraid people might think you
look stupid?

If you wear a helmet, you will look more like a person doing a proper
sport, and less like a clown.

If you wear a helmet and you are involved in an accident that is someone
else's fault, but they deny it, you will be in a better position to
defend yourself.

If you crack your skull and cause internal bleeding, you could be past
the point of no return before you get a diagnosis, and dead within two
days.

Or you could shamble through life like a stroke victim, slurring your
words and suffering from epileptic fits...

But this is a choice issue. If you wanted to be 100% safe, you wouldn't
unicycle, with or without a helmet.

I would wear a helmet for anything except the most basic riding and
performing. Always for MUni or fast riding; always on the road.

Get a helmet that looks cool. Kill two birds with one stone.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

So many pedestrians tell me I've lost a wheel.

if you are getting a helmet, get one of those pro-tec skateboard
helmets, they definently look good on anybody, I only wear one when Im
doing stuff that is uneven or something or if Im not sure if I can do it
or not. but I wear at least shin guards all the time. Besides, the
only way you could really hurt your self is if you crash into something
or get hit by automobiles, Its just better not to take any chances, so
definently wear a helmet (preferably the pro-tec) you can get the
pro-tec at any skateboard store.

--
dubmuni2004 - Aaron Dubois

I dont have a signature
dubmuni2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

I never get on the uni without a helmet. It has already saved my life
more than once. You might be at risk when trying new tricks, but i have
found that is is usually when you are least expecting it that you take
advantage of the protective gear.

--
xtremeskier_ - Logan Altier
xtremeskier_'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4291

As usual, the poll doesn't have an option that fits me. I don't *always*
wear a helmet (for example I did a show the other day). But I always
wear mine for MUni and riding to work. Does riding to work count as
"street?"

Anyway, Mikefule summed it up pretty well. Youre riding a unicycle and
wondering what people will think of whether or not you have a helmet on?
The helmet is there in the rare event you may take a quick fall onto the
edge of the curb. The rest of the time, it makes you look like you have
a clue about the activity you're doing. Unlike most of the skateboarders
I see trying to grind stair rails.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

I've almost always ridden with a helmet, i've never really needed it,
but better safe than sorry. I was at a skate park today and they require
helmets, so the kids would have helmets, but only put them on if they
saw a policeman coming. It was kinda funny to watch them scramble,
personally i'd rather focus on riding than if the next cars gonna be
taking my ride.

Helmets are like anything else, you get used to them, plus they help you
be safe. I wanna get shin guards seeing as how I just got pedals with
pins in them, safety is good.

Andrew

--
KJ-52 - unicycler

Originally posted by Logan_A.
Note this e-mail is baKsed oJn -a sto5ry a2nd mIay bSe fictKional oEr
conWtain fictiLonal elements. This should also not have been read by any
younger riders.

Can you find the hidden message?

KJ-52's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5614

I almost always wear my helmet. The only time I don't is if someone
doesn't believe that I can ride( a quick mount and ride a little
circle). There is no reason not to wear a helmet. With the choices out
there for headwear, there is something for anyone. After a couple of
rides you wont even notice it's there. Go ahead, wear the brain
bucket. No one will think the worse of you.

--
spickydoo - one hot wheel

"They say you can pick your friends, You can pick your nose, But you
can't pick your friend's nose. " Unibrier

"If I wanted to be totally healthy I wouldn't smoke pot, drink alcohol
or stay up too late, and how fun would that be?" Rowan
spickydoo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1055

Find out the law of the land where you live. Chances are there is no
requirement to wear a helmet on a unicycle. Then it is up to you to
decide if you want to wear one. If you feel unsafe while practising your
street stuff, then it might be a good idea to wear a helmet. If it makes
your head hot and you don't like it, then don't wear one. For the people
who say "always wear your helmet", they should be wearing a helmet while
walking the streets as a pedestrian, because walking is no less
dangerous than riding a unicycle in a sensible fashion.

I don't wear a helmet while unicycling, because a unicycle is such a
slow moving vehicle that it is similar to walking or running. Also
because I don't see a helmet as a necessary expense for something that
will make my head hot and weigh me down. My head hasn't hit the ground
yet, but it has hit overhanging branches whilst riding a giraffe. Make
up your own mind, and don't pay too much attention to pro-helmet
propaganda.

--
Rowan - _________

[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/waffe/1043691690_0.gif]
::*-'Click Here!'
(http://Bogtrotter.v3.net/)
-*::
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Rowan wrote:
> *For the people who say "always wear your helmet", they should be
> wearing a helmet while walking the streets as a pedestrian, because
> walking is no less dangerous than riding a unicycle in a sensible
> fashion.
>
> *

Depends on the riding, if you're just going forwards on a 20/24" then
maybe it's as safe as walking.

On a 29-er I feel the need for a helmet, if only because I go on the
roads sometimes.

If you're thinking of learning certain tricks I'd advise wearing a
helmet; an example would be learning to ride backwards, quite a few
people have posted here about hitting their heads when working on
this.

Other than protecting your head, a helmet is also a hat that keeps you
warm in the cold and stops your head getting sunburnt. It also sets a
good example to passing skateboarders, many of whom should wear a helmet
cos they're at real risk, but are put off from doing so by peer
pressure.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

James_Potter wrote:
> *For simply commuting around town, I don't wear a helmet (usually). *

I always wear mine for commuting. Commuting may be a different thing for
different people. For me it means riding in the street, with traffic, at
speeds of 15 mph or higher. That's a good time to wear one.

For riding on the sidewalk on a smaller unicycle, at lower speeds, the
liklihood of needing one is a lot less. Same for practicing freestyle on
flat ground. On the trails, I always wear mine.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

I wear a helmet whenever doing something I see as potentially dangerous,
like MUni or Trials or certain tricks. However, when I ride a 24"
around town in good weather, I generally don't wear my helmet, since I
stay on the sidewalk and don't try anything dangerous (such as going
down or up anything higher than a curb). When there is snow or ice on
the roads, I try to wear my helmet, even when just commuting.

--
paco - Co-Founder of the PacoGild Movement

Every car should come equipped with a midget with a periscope.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

hey dude.
good question. Honestly put.
I've always had problems with helmets. I've always worn them, but always
begrugingly, as I look like a dorkus malorkus.

I bought a skate helmet a few weeks ago, thinking It'd look better than
a bike helmet. Well. I didn't. And it was hot, and heavy, and didn't fit
very nicely. (No skate helmets have felt comfortable for me).

I went to the LBS and bought a nice bike helmet.
I tried them all on, and joked with the people working there, asking for
'a new head' when they offered to help me.
I found one that didn't look so goofy (I took my girlfriend and mate who
openly laugh at me when I look like a ********) and there was no
snickers.

It's light, comfortable (hardly feel it on) and it's breezy. Bike
helmets these days are so nice to wear, there's no reason not to. They
look ok, (hey, even I don't look like a COMPLETE numpty).
And I figure, I'd rather look like Mr Safety Clown Boy rather than a
drooling invalid, never going to score ever again!

Sam "non custom safety boy" Murray
W. Australia

--
perth
perth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5829

I actually find that skate helmets are more comfortable. And actually,
they provide considerably more protection.
But since most of us never fall on our head very hard, as long as you
have some sort of protection it should be good.

--
James_Potter - ***** ***** *****

-****, ****, ****!!-
-- Kris Holm

i feel it is my place to make the controversial statement here...
helmets are gay... whats more if you wear the wrong type of helmet it
can make it more dangerous...
for the last seven years ive ridden mountain bikes (downhill and dirt
jumping) bmx (dirt jumping and street) quads (motoX, dirt jumping and
commuting) and unicycle (trials and street) and i can honestly say the
only time ive ever hit my head is when ive been wearing a full face
helmet, the extra weight pulls you head down when you hit the deck.
unless your going really big on a unicycle, your not gonna put yourself
in a position where your likely to bang your head, break your ankles
wrists and shins yes... bang your head no.
helmets arent cool... thats why trials riders wear them... if your going
to wear one... get a p!ss pot... they dont look quite as poo...

ok all you safety concious trials losers... start flaming me now...

--
north - The seth enslow of unicycling

North

until it ends...