or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

South Florida Mountain Bike Video - Page 4

post #46 of 55

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

"John Harlow" <sirsausage@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You may want to give some serious thought as to whether an
> "extreeem" MTB video is a good tool to promote the park as
> a public >multi-use area.

I don't think dv needs any backseat driving on this effort.
Look at how successful his quiet waters campaign was here!
(I wonder if some old guy on usenet right now is the future
president of the ft pierce condo assoc?)
post #47 of 55

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

"John Harlow" <sirsausage@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Do you have any suggestions for this? I need to end up
> > with a really good 60 seconds of video to get to the TV
> > stations, so that they will give us air time, and
> > ultimately, to help get the city and county to make this
> > a park.
>
> You may want to give some serious thought as to whether an
> "extreeem" MTB video is a good tool to promote the park as
> a public multi-use area.
>
> I think for general public appeal, just videotape some of
> the spectacular foliage and features which would be
> forever lost if it were sold and developed.

John, I agree completely it should not look extreme. One
thing I think I will do when I go back for the side and
front views, is to shoot the cut-offs that allow novice
riders to ride around virtually every obstacle that has a
significant "Florida Technical" element to it :-) In the
video that goes to the TV stations, a rider could be added
doing the cut out just as the other one is doing the
obstacle...so we can show it is good for the whole family.
Thanks for your input. Dan V
post #48 of 55

"BB" <bbauerAtitude@freeshell.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:30:28 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:
> >
> > With some of the side shots, I should be able to
> > capture some of the
actual
> > speed feeling. Do you have any suggestions for this? I
> > need to end up
with a
> > really good 60 seconds of video to get to the TV
> > stations, so that they
will
> > give us air time, and ultimately, to help get the city
> > and county to
make
> > this a park.
>
> If you want to get general support to make it a park,
> you'd be better off showing a variety of activities, not
> just focusing on one. Showing how fast you can go is
> likely to make it very UNappealing to anyone who wants to
> go there for a relaxing stroll. Remember, the average
> American isn't exactly in the best of shape, and you don't
> want to make it sound like you're asking to fund a park
> that most people wouldn't use.
>
> --

BB, This could be used for hiking as well I suppose, which
would open up the park to a larger level of support...and
one major component of making this a park will be helping to
allow the authorities more control in keeping the 3 wheeled
ATV crowd out of this park and some areas adjacent to the
trail ( where they are pissing all the landowners off with
their noise pollution right now).

In keeping with your main point, maybe I should shoot some
footage of a family out for a ride together on this
trail....I could show them doing the cut-outs that allow
them to miss the bridges and bigger drops & short climbs,
etc. ---and edit back and forth between them doing these
sections along with some of the more sane obstacles ridden
by the racer. And I have plenty of "the beauty of the trail"
type footage already.

Dan V
post #49 of 55

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:38:27 -0400, "Dan Volker"
<dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"BB" <bbauerAtitude@freeshell.org> wrote in message news:c6e5ff$b320j$1@ID-130844.news.uni-
>berlin.de...
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:30:28 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:
>> >
>> > With some of the side shots, I should be able to
>> > capture some of the
>actual
>> > speed feeling. Do you have any suggestions for this? I
>> > need to end up
>with a
>> > really good 60 seconds of video to get to the TV
>> > stations, so that they
>will
>> > give us air time, and ultimately, to help get the city
>> > and county to
>make
>> > this a park.
>>
>> If you want to get general support to make it a park,
>> you'd be better off showing a variety of activities, not
>> just focusing on one. Showing how fast you can go is
>> likely to make it very UNappealing to anyone who wants to
>> go there for a relaxing stroll.
as one guy who enjoys mtb but doesn't have much skills, i
can say that advertising a trail ride as "extremely tech
singletrack" will keep me away. just yesterday i ws looking
on the 'net for some mtb trails to ride and i found a place
near where i'll be this summer. "GREAT" "EXTREME" "DROPS"
were some of the words riders used to describe it. To me,
it's a no-go. I like trails. Mostly smooth, thru forests or
open fields. i can't jump logs. Drops will drop me.
...thehick
post #50 of 55

cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote:
> ...this section, I think it's called Jacob's Ladder, was a
> challenge and a feast for us.
>
> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...g/images/UpAm-
> asabackMoab2000.jpg

Actually, I don't think that's Jacob's Ladder. This is a
picture of the real Jacob's Ladder from near the top:

http://www.arkansasvalley.net/images/WalkDown.jpg

Sorry for the image quality, that shot was taken with a film
camera and scanned (which is what we were forced to do back
in the dark ages, 9 years ago). Jacob's Ladder is a full-on
awkward hike-a-bike. Not even remotely ridable.

But your point is well-taken. "Technical" is a matter of
experience and perspective. My advice for the world of
internet chest-thumpers:

Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've* *travelled*
*personally* to places that are supposedly technical. You
can't see it in a picture or an MPEG running in a 300 pixel
x 400 pixel window, you can't really understand it by
hearing from somebody else in a usenet post. Gotta see if
with your own eyes and feel it with your own butt.

When you first see something that re-sets your own
definition of the word technical, you won't be able to ride
it. Your mind will be blown.

Perhaps I'll call this a "Horsethief Epiphany" (in
paladin's honor), where you follow tire tracks up to
something, look at it, and whisper to yourself "omigod!
people actually RIDE this!"

If you spend some time and work your way into it, you can
amaze yourself with what can be ridden. But not when you
first see it. Unless you're 19.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so

"Tom Purvis" <team_bfd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote:

> Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've* *travelled*
> *personally* to places that are supposedly technical. You
> can't see it in a picture or an MPEG running in a 300
> pixel x 400 pixel window, you can't really understand it
> by hearing from somebody else in a usenet post. Gotta see
> if with your own eyes and feel it with your own butt.

Sure you can.

If you have experience riding and photographing/filming
technical terrain you can appreciate it when you see
other's examples.
post #52 of 55

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

> control in keeping the 3 wheeled ATV crowd

People still ride those? I thought they'd all been killed
off by now!
post #53 of 55

team_bfd@yahoo.com (Tom Purvis) wrote:

>But your point is well-taken. "Technical" is a matter of
>experience and perspective. My advice for the world of
>internet chest-thumpers:
>
>Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've* *travelled*
>*personally* to places that are supposedly technical. You
>can't see it in a picture or an MPEG running in a 300 pixel
>x 400 pixel window, you can't really understand it by
>hearing from somebody else in a usenet post. Gotta see if
>with your own eyes and feel it with your own butt.

A great example of this was the 2000 Olympics XC course. The
general consensus of those watching it on TV was that it was
"flat and easy". Having walked the entire course, I can
assure you that there were places that were NOT either. Sure
it wasn't the kind of course that you'd push the limits of a
full-on DH bike, but most of the women's field ended up
walking (up) at least one or two of the hills (and they're a
lot stronger than 99.9% of us). There were some nasty off-
camber switchbacks that were a LOT tougher than they came
across on TV as well.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame
post #54 of 55

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

"Dan Volker" <dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:<t%Phc.69824$UC4.39737@bignews2.bellsouth.net>... <snip
more sadness>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...technical.

JD
post #55 of 55

"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <pete1NOSPAM@petefagerlin.removethis.com> wrote in message news:<gNQic.40981$SD3.24398@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Tom Purvis" <team_bfd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote:
>
> > Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've*
> > *travelled* *personally* to places that are supposedly
> > technical. You can't see it in a picture or an MPEG
> > running in a 300 pixel x 400 pixel window, you can't
> > really understand it by hearing from somebody else in a
> > usenet post. Gotta see if with your own eyes and feel it
> > with your own butt.
>
> Sure you can.
>
> If you have experience riding and photographing/filming
> technical terrain you can appreciate it when you see
> other's examples.

Word.

JD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: