Re: why is it called a side hop?

one wheeled stallion

Guest

> And can you guys believe that I can do a leg-around-seat mount to side
> hopping?

We need videos! And of the other crazy stuff!!!

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Sorry, guys, but you'll just have to wait until my all-girls EXtreme
Unicycling movie comes out to see awesome stuff like that.....hehe or
well at least wait until the trailer, k?

--
unipsychogirl

~Sara C.

"I CAN JUMP OVER YOUR HONOR STUDENT ON MY UNICYCLE!!!" -me to old lady
at festival

"I BET YOU CAN!" -old lady, without a clue as to what a "unicycle" is

([email protected]) (A.I.M. S.N: "unipsychogirl" but mostly on
as "violpunk") )--O

My lame claim to the sorta-hall-of-fame (I'm in shame):
http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/unicon11/results/IUF02_Juggling.html
unipsychogirl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4356

A side hop comes to us from Bike Trials. In Bike trials a side hop is
used by riders who approach an object by riding parallel to it then
stopping and jumping up and to the side. This is in contrast to a bunny
hop where you are hopping forward.

The technique on a bike has nothing to do with distance you can hop to
the side, rather how high you can jump to the side. Check out
Biketrials.com to see a video of this.

Chex

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20

My circus train pulls throught the night, full of lions and trapize
artists, I'm done with elephants and clowns, I want to runaway and join
the office.
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Checkernuts wrote:
> *A side hop comes to us from Bike Trials. In Bike trials a side hop is
> used by riders who approach an object by riding parallel to it then
> stopping and jumping up and to the side. This is in contrast to a
> bunny hop where you are hopping forward.
> *

Yup, thats why it's called a side hop. the term bunny hop usually isn't
used in unicycling, though. It's either a side hop or a rolling hop. You
can also hop forward on to something from a stillstand, but I don't know
of a name for that.

To clarify further, hopping laterally for distance in a trials line is
called a gap. Hopping for distance on flat ground is called a long
jump.

Ben

--
Ben Plotkin-Swing

www.benps.com

"Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible" -Fortune
cookie.
Ben Plotkin-Swing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/378