or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cutting Toprol-XL in half?

post #1 of 4
Because of apparent reaction (feeling faint and low heart
beat) to metroprolol, my cardiologist has cut my dosage of
metoprolol to
12.5mg/day from 25mg/day. He prescribed 25mg Toprol-XL to be
cut in half. The pharmacist said you cannot cut an
extended release in half so the doctor said to take it
every other day.

I went to the AstraZeneca web site and it said "Extended
release metroprolol succinate tablets are scored and can be
divided; however, the whole or half tablet should be
swallowed whole not chewed or crushed."

Therefore, it appears that while many XL drugs cannot be cut
in half, Toprol-XL is a drug that can be cut.

Based on that, I believe I would be better off cutting the
pill in half and taking it every day. I have no problem
making a clean cut using a pill cutter.

Comments?
post #2 of 4

Re: Cutting Toprol-XL in half?

njoracle wrote:

> Because of apparent reaction (feeling faint and low heart
> beat) to metroprolol, my cardiologist has cut my dosage of
> metoprolol to
> 12.5mg/day from 25mg/day. He prescribed 25mg Toprol-XL to
> be cut in half. The pharmacist said you cannot cut an
> extended release in half so the doctor said to take it
> every other day.

The pharmacist is wrong. Toprol-XL can be cut in half.

> I went to the AstraZeneca web site and it said "Extended
> release metroprolol succinate tablets are scored and can
> be divided; however, the whole or half tablet should be
> swallowed whole not chewed or crushed."
>
> Therefore, it appears that while many XL drugs cannot be
> cut in half, Toprol-XL is a drug that can be cut.

Correct.

> Based on that, I believe I would be better off cutting the
> pill in half and taking it every day. I have no problem
> making a clean cut using a pill cutter.
>
> Comments?

Would suggest you inform your doctor and let him/her
authorize it.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2DB148A7

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867
post #3 of 4

Re: Cutting Toprol-XL in half?

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> njoracle wrote:
>

>>Because of apparent reaction (feeling faint and low heart
>>beat) to metroprolol, my cardiologist has cut my dosage of
>>metoprolol to
>>12.5mg/day from 25mg/day. He prescribed 25mg Toprol-XL to
>> be cut in half. The pharmacist said you cannot cut an
>> extended release in half so the doctor said to take it
>> every other day.
>>

> The pharmacist is wrong. Toprol-XL can be cut in half.
>

>>I went to the AstraZeneca web site and it said "Extended
>>release metroprolol succinate tablets are scored and can
>>be divided; however, the whole or half tablet should be
>>swallowed whole not chewed or crushed."
>>
>>Therefore, it appears that while many XL drugs cannot be
>>cut in half, Toprol-XL is a drug that can be cut.
>>

> Correct.
>

>>Based on that, I believe I would be better off cutting the
>>pill in half and taking it every day. I have no problem
>>making a clean cut using a pill cutter.
>>
>>Comments?
>

> Would suggest you inform your doctor and let him/her
> authorize it.

Thanks for your response. I'll check with the doctor but
since he authorized it in the first place, I'm sure
he'll say okay.
post #4 of 4

Re: Cutting Toprol-XL in half?

njoracle wrote:

> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> > njoracle wrote:
> >

> >>Because of apparent reaction (feeling faint and low
> >>heart beat) to metroprolol, my cardiologist has cut my
> >>dosage of metoprolol to
> >>12.5mg/day from 25mg/day. He prescribed 25mg Toprol-XL
> >> to be cut in half. The pharmacist said you cannot cut
> >> an extended release in half so the doctor said to
> >> take it every other day.
> >>

> > The pharmacist is wrong. Toprol-XL can be cut in half.
> >

> >>I went to the AstraZeneca web site and it said "Extended
> >>release metroprolol succinate tablets are scored and can
> >>be divided; however, the whole or half tablet should be
> >>swallowed whole not chewed or crushed."
> >>
> >>Therefore, it appears that while many XL drugs cannot be
> >>cut in half, Toprol-XL is a drug that can be cut.
> >>

> > Correct.
> >

> >>Based on that, I believe I would be better off cutting
> >>the pill in half and taking it every day. I have no
> >>problem making a clean cut using a pill cutter.
> >>
> >>Comments?
> >

> > Would suggest you inform your doctor and let him/her
> > authorize it.
> >

> Thanks for your response. I'll check with the doctor but
> since he authorized it in the first place, I'm sure he'll
> say okay.

Good :-)

Andrew

--