news:c6jv4f$cmume$1@ID-223554.news.uni-berlin.de...

> "Dan Volker" <dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tetsuo Shima" <TetsuoShima@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:c6jofp$cvkuo$1@ID-223554.news.uni-
> > berlin.de...
> > > Anyone tried it?
> > >

> > I do a 5:30pm class every Monday night.
> >
> > The rationale I have for Pilates is that the road
> > cycling I used to do,
> did
> > nothing to keep up core strength, but did build up legs
> > and other major muscles to the point of imbalance.
> > Pilates is "supposed" to be the best answer for this,
> > since it really develops core/abdominal strength. I have
> > found my back is always feeling good now, and I have
> > better use
of
> > sprint power utilizing stronger abdominals to stabilize
> > the leg power
> with.
> >
> > Dan V
> >

> I can't say i'm "fit", would it be easy for me to get
> into? I'd really
like
> to make better use of my muscles.

You would start in a beginner class, and gradually get
better core strength. You should plan on this plus a few
days per week lifting weights at the gym for 15 minutes or
so ( high rep, low rest). And ride your mountain bike as
many days per week as you can:-)

Dan V
post #17 of 30

Re: Pilates.

"mojo deluxe" <voudin61@hellsouth.nett> wrote in message

> "Tetsuo Shima" <TetsuoShima@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shawn Curry" <speriodthespiceorcomb@bresnan.net> wrote
> > in message news:w4adnQ5rH4gFExDdRVn-hA@bresnan.com...

> > > Nah, the jackass would just scare the parrot away.
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > > P.S. You really need to expect this sort of thing on
> > > AM-B.
> >
> > It doesn't bother me, I DEMAND a stupid reply once in
> > while.
> >
> jackass!!
>
> how's that?

Stoopid enough.
post #18 of 30

Re: Pilates.

"Shaun Rimmer" <shaun@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Tetsuo Shima" <TetsuoShima@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shawn Curry" <speriodthespiceorcomb@bresnan.net> wrote
> > in message news:w4adnQ5rH4gFExDdRVn-hA@bresnan.com...

> > > Nah, the jackass would just scare the parrot away.
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > > P.S. You really need to expect this sort of thing on
> > > AM-B.
> >
> > It doesn't bother me, I DEMAND a stupid reply once in
> > while.
>
> Seriously?
>

> Shaun aRe

Is that a stupid or serious reply?
post #19 of 30

Re: Pilates.

"Per Elmsäter" <perDOTelmsater@telia.com> wrote in message
> Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> > Anyone tried it?
>
> I'd never heard of it until you asked, so I did a search
> and almost
laughed
> my head off ewhen I saw all those fitness maniacs upside
> down and inside
out
> in all sorts of different machines. It's proabably a lot
> of fun but I
doubt
> it will do anything for your cycling except steal time
> away from you that could be spent on a bike instead. I go
> to the gym twice a week in winter and once a week in
> summer so it's
not
> that I'm against resistance training. I just thought this
> whole Pilates
deal
> was hilarious. You know like those late night shows where
> you can buy all sorts of miracoulous fitness equipment.
> The equipment does the workout and you just sit there
> looking pretty or whatever )) I may have misinterpreted
> what I saw at a quick glance but this was my
first
> impression and they usually last
>
> If you want a stronger back and abdomen go to the Gym and
> do belly-backs
and
> crunches.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

My poor back is wasted, I doubt if it'd last.
post #20 of 30

> Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> > My poor back is wasted, I doubt if it'd last.
>
> Sounds like enough of a reason to start crunching away.
> There are no shortcuts. If you can't do a short set of
> bellybacks then you have a
medical
> problem and maybe shouldn't even be on a bike.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Doctor seems to think that I have arthritis, (I've not taken
the blood test yet, not really keen on it.) Thing is, if I
do have it, it's taken over my major joints. There is no way
I'm going to stop getting out on my bike because of it.
post #21 of 30

> Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> > Doctor seems to think that I have arthritis, (I've not
> > taken the blood test yet, not really keen on it.) Thing
> > is, if I do have it, it's taken over my major joints.
> > There is no way I'm going to stop getting out on my bike
> > because of it.
>
> That's a bummer. Hope your bike won't turn into a trike.
> Maybe Pilates is a good way to go then.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

F**K that! I'll be a cripple before I get on a trike. Would
love a recumbent bike though.
post #22 of 30

Re: Pilates.

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Tetsuo Shima wrote:
>> Anyone tried it?
>
> I'd never heard of it until you asked, so I did a search
> and almost laughed my head off ewhen I saw all those
> fitness maniacs upside down and inside out in all sorts of
> different machines. It's proabably a lot of fun but I
> doubt it will do anything for your cycling except steal
> time away from you that could be spent on a bike instead.
> I go to the gym twice a week in winter and once a week in
> summer so it's not that I'm against resistance training. I
> just thought this whole Pilates deal was hilarious. You
> know like those late night shows where you can buy all
> sorts of miracoulous fitness equipment. The equipment does
> the workout and you just sit there looking pretty or
> whatever )) I may have misinterpreted what I saw at a
> quick glance but this was my first impression and they
> usually last
>
> If you want a stronger back and abdomen go to the Gym and
> do belly-backs and crunches.

a lot of Pilates is now done as floor work on a mat. Me,
I'm a fan of a fitness ball ( swiss ball) for "core" work.
Careful with the crunches tho - there are so many ways to
cheat and not work your ab but other muscles instead. This
is where the ball is so great, there's no cheating.

http://www.spine-
health.com/topics/conserv/rehab/ball/ball04.html
post #23 of 30

Re: Pilates.

saildesign@aol.comnospam (Stephen Baker) wrote in message news:<20040426165226.10421.00000350@mb-m02.aol.com>...
> Tetsuo asks:
>
> >Anyone tried it?
>
> Yup! Two years or so. Does wonders for the midriff (or
> "gorsle of power" as our instructor called it), and the
> "yummy mummies" (blame ClydesdaleMTB for the term, not
> me!) who frequent the classes are a good incentive to
> keep going.
>
> Steve "ain't wearing no girdle"

I get a kick out of the Hollywood stars who seem to think
they discovered Pilates.

"Joseph Pilates introduced his method of exercise to the
public in the 1930's. He originally developed it to help
strengthen and rehabilitate immobilized soldiers during
World War 1. His main goal was to develop the body uniformly
through a series of precise movements that control the body
through space and stabilize it while it is working."

Good things last.
post #24 of 30

Re: Pilates.

Slacker wrote:
> Penny S wrote:
>
>> a lot of Pilates is now done as floor work on a mat. Me,
>> I'm a fan of a fitness ball ( swiss ball) for "core"
>> work. Careful with the crunches tho - there are so many
>> ways to cheat and not work your ab but other muscles
>> instead. This is where the ball is so great, there's no
>> cheating.
>>
>> http://www.spine-
>> health.com/topics/conserv/rehab/ball/ball04.html
>>

> Fitness balls are killer! I got a couple balls (shut up
> Sorni) to put in our work gym... can only do a fraction of
> the crunches you could otherwise do on the floor.

that's because a ball forces you to do them correctly. Most
people use their hip flexors way to much on floor crunches.
I like the ball pushups, and the one where you do leg lifts
while (trying to) hold the ball with your feet.

shut up, sorni.

Penny
post #25 of 30

Re: Pilates.

Penny S wrote:
> Slacker wrote:

>> Fitness balls are killer! I got a couple balls (shut up
>> Sorni) to put in our work gym... can only do a fraction
>> of the crunches you could otherwise do on the floor.
>
> that's because a ball forces you to do them correctly.
> Most people use their hip flexors way to much on floor
> crunches. I like the ball pushups, and the one where
> you do leg lifts while (trying to) hold the ball with
> your feet.
>
> shut up, sorni.

Et tu, Pennus?

Bill "no apparati in my Pilates classes (none for a
year tho')" S.
post #26 of 30

Re: Pilates.

> "Shaun Rimmer" <shaun@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tetsuo Shima" <TetsuoShima@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:c6k39h$cq216$1@ID-223554.news.uni-
> > berlin.de...
> > >
> > > "Shawn Curry" <speriodthespiceorcomb@bresnan.net>
> > > wrote in message news:w4adnQ5rH4gFExDdRVn-
> > > hA@bresnan.com...

> > > It doesn't bother me, I DEMAND a stupid reply once in
> > > while.
> >
> > Seriously?
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Is that a stupid or serious reply?

Indeed ',;~}~

Shaun aRe
post #27 of 30

Re: Pilates.

"Slacker" <slacker7@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> >>Seriously?
> >>
> >>Shaun aRe

> Yes.

I most heartily concur.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe
post #28 of 30

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > "Slacker" <slacker7@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:c6n3kl$dmvoj$2@ID-191655.news.uni-
> > berlin.de...

> >> Yes.
> >
> > I most heartily concur.
> >

> Knock off that seriuous attitude will 'ya

Fork queue.

Shaun aRe
post #29 of 30

Re: Pilates.

"Slacker" <slacker7@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> >>Seriously?
> >>
> >>Shaun aRe

> Yes.
> --
> Slacker ;-)

Fish?
post #30 of 30

Re: Pilates.

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> "Per Elmsäter" <perDOTelmsater@telia.com> wrote in message
>
> From what I understand a lot of the Pilates stuff -
> particularly the
novice
> stuff - can be done sans machines. And it's supposed to be
> a great core strengthener. I'm guessing if you joined a
> Pilates class that they would have all the fancy equipment
> for you and you wouldn't need to buy
anything.

The class I do is about 95% floor exercises on a mat, and
the other 5% is using some springs on vertical piping that
you are used for a few types of resistance exercises. I can
free squat over 600 pounds, and bench 325, in other words,
I'm not doing Pilates in some pitiful attempt to get strong
via some nonsense equipment from TV that does the workout
for you. Pilates concentrates the work you do in places most
people working out at the gym have not concentrated on--
though the ones doing allot of work on those big inflatable
balls get many similar benefits.

Its pretty easy to do a situp without engaging your core
muscles properly--you can still get strong abs, but you can
get them without helping the postural components of a
healthy back. And I have found that concentrating on the
core abdominal "stabilizer muscles" which you use in
Pilates, while riding my bike, keeps better power transfer
to the pedals, without wasting oxygen on the upper body
muscles which don't have to be--should not really be,
heavily engaged in this ( doing the Pilates workouts allows
me to figure out what muscles in the core area "should" be
contacting and stabilizing the work coming from pedaling). I
end up riding faster with less effort, I don't get numb
hands the way I used to from gripping to tight, and my back
always feels awesome after a ride, instead of trashed. I
can't say this will be true for everyone---it makes sense to
me that it would, but I have no facts other than personal
experience with this to offer.

Dan V
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home