Bargain find and buy! :-)

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
This weekend while ferrying some junk to the tip, I spotted an old mountain
bike that'd been put to the side by one of the workers there. Now, I'd been
after an old/cheap wheel-set to build a beater commute bike for a pal of
mine, who's trying to save cash by driving less, to fund his 1y/o lads
needs.

So, out the car I jumps and asks around who the bike now 'belongs' to. Some
big guy steps forward says: "That'll be me, mate."

"What chance is there of you parting with it?"

"Will do, for a tea and coffee donation. Offer me what you think." Says he.

"A fiver?"

"No problem. Yours for a fiver." He tells me.

So, we nipped off to get some cash and dashed back. Gave him the £5, put
bike in car, drove off quickly in glee.

The bike is quite old. Not sure how old - it's a black British Eagle, rigid,
steel, 5 speed x 3 friction/index shift. Thing is, this bike has never, or
almost never, been ridden - tyres are in perfect condition. Also, there's
not a single scratch or speck of rust _anywhere_ on it - looks like it was
bought and bunged in a stasis chamber!

So, I says - BARGAIN!

',;~}~

Gonna measure my friend up for the frame before deciding whether or not to
split it for parts to make him a bike, or just give it to him as it is.
While it would seem a shame to split it up, he really wants to be riding to
work and back soon as possible.

Shaun aRe gonna call at that place more often ',;~}~

> This weekend while ferrying some junk to the tip, I spotted an old

mountain
> bike that'd been put to the side by one of the workers there. Now, I'd

been
> after an old/cheap wheel-set to build a beater commute bike for a pal of
> mine, who's trying to save cash by driving less, to fund his 1y/o lads
> needs.
>
> So, out the car I jumps and asks around who the bike now 'belongs' to.

Some
> big guy steps forward says: "That'll be me, mate."
>
> "What chance is there of you parting with it?"
>
> "Will do, for a tea and coffee donation. Offer me what you think." Says

he.

> "A fiver?"
>
> "No problem. Yours for a fiver." He tells me.
>
> So, we nipped off to get some cash and dashed back. Gave him the £5, put
> bike in car, drove off quickly in glee.
>
> The bike is quite old. Not sure how old - it's a black British Eagle,

rigid,
> steel, 5 speed x 3 friction/index shift. Thing is, this bike has never, or
> almost never, been ridden - tyres are in perfect condition. Also, there's
> not a single scratch or speck of rust _anywhere_ on it - looks like it was
> bought and bunged in a stasis chamber!
>
> So, I says - BARGAIN!
>
> ',;~}~
>
> Gonna measure my friend up for the frame before deciding whether or not to
> split it for parts to make him a bike, or just give it to him as it is.
> While it would seem a shame to split it up, he really wants to be riding

> work and back soon as possible.
>
> Shaun aRe gonna call at that place more often ',;~}~

Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
harrumph! to the lottaya.

Shaun aRe

',;~}~

> Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
> harrumph! to the lottaya.

Well I was gonna post something along the lines of 'are you sure it wasn't
your own bike that your missus was secretly trying to dump' but I never got
around to it, thanks for reminding me...

Steve.

On 2004-07-22, Shaun Rimmer penned:

> Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
> harrumph! to the lottaya.

I read the post and thought the bike find was cool, but I'm lazy as all
hell.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

"spademan o---[) *"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> > Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
> > harrumph! to the lottaya.
> >

> Well I was gonna post something along the lines of 'are you sure it wasn't
> your own bike that your missus was secretly trying to dump'

Yup - I'm sure. This one is steel, black, and only has 5 of them funny cog
things on't back wheel!

> but I never got
> around to it, thanks for reminding me...

Yer welcome, heheheheh... ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - It sez British Eagle on it an' everyfink it does!!!!

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-07-22, Shaun Rimmer penned:
> >
> > Hey you buggras, none of you as excited by my find as ME then? Well
> > harrumph! to the lottaya.

> I read the post and thought the bike find was cool, but I'm lazy as all
> hell.

Heheheheh, well thanks anyway Monique, heheheheh ',;~}~

Shaun aRe likes a daft giggle at stuff an' ting is all.