or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Butter vs Margarine Refresher Course (reprint)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Butter vs Margarine Refresher Course (reprint)

post #1 of 9
Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly
higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53%
over eating the same amount of butter according to a recent
Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other
nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional
benefits where margarine has a few only because they
are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance
the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has
been around for less than 100 years.

Now for Margarine...

Very high in Trans Fatty Acids... Triple risk of Coronary
Heart Disease.. Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is
the bad cholesterol)

Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) ....
Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold...

Lowers quality of breast milk ... Decreases immune
response...

Decreases insulin response. And here is the most
disturbing fact....

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC...This
fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life
and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen
is added, changing the molecular structure of the
substance).

YOU can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and
leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of
days you will note a couple of things: no flies, not even
those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell
you something) ... it does not rot or smell
differently..because it has no nutritional value, nothing
will grow on it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will
not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic.

Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your
toast?
post #2 of 9

Re: Butter vs Margarine Refresher Course (reprint)

SportKite1 wrote:
> Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?

Butter comes from a cow's nipple, margarine comes from a
machine's nipple.

I think any comparison of saturated or unsaturated fat is
unfair. Butter is far more natural, but has too much Omega-6
fatty acid. Margine usually has trans-fats, but not always,
and either way, has nothing good (while butter has some Omega-
3). Omega 3 and 6 are both unsaturated, while one is good
and one will destroy your heart. Same goes for most
saturated fats. Not all are bad, while some will kill you.

I prefer butter. It tastes better, and in moderation is
healthier than butter (depends on the rest of your diet, but
in my diet, it is healthier).

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
john@johngaughan.net

Re: Butter vs Margarine Refresher Course (reprint)

Here's more information:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

This is one of those Snopes reports that's true. When
comparing butter and margerine, butter comes out better for
nearly everyone on healthful properties and taste. Do take a
look, however, at the last paragraph in the Snopes report
having to do with the one molecule away from plastic
business. They call it hyperbole, and I'd say that was an
accurate assessment.

--Lia

SportKite1 wrote:

> Why? Because it is nearly plastic.
>
> Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on
> your toast?
post #4 of 9

Re: Butter vs Margarine Refresher Course (reprint)

"SportKite1" <sportkite1@aol.com> wrote in message

..snip ...

> HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!
>
> Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being
> PLASTIC...This fact alone
was
> enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything
> else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added,
> changing the molecular
structure of
> the substance).

This is a confection of confusion and misinformation.

(1) Your use of "molecule" in this context has no meaning.
Hydrogenated fats and non-hydrogenated fats are both
molecules in themselves, neither are "one molecule" away
from anything.

(2) If you intended to say one atom or one substituent group
away from some other compound (which at least makes some
sort of sense) it has no significance for human
consumption. By this logic we would stay away from water
(HOH) as it is only one atom from rotten egg gas (HSH)
or one group away from prussic acid (HCN). Compounds
that differ by one group may have entirely different
properties. Unless there is a mechanism to convert one
to the other, the consumption of the one will not result
in harm caused by the other.

(3) Please advise what polymer (plastic) the hydrogenated
fats in margarine are "one molecule" away from. I would
be interested to know what that is and how toxic it is.
And while you are at it, assuming that there is such a
thing and it is in fact harmful, what is the mechanism
by which margarine will be converted to this substance?
Where has it been demonstrated that this process can
occur in nature or in the human body?

Much of human fat metabolism is to do with adding and
removing groups to chains (mainly removing) but unless you
can show that such a thing can happen to the fats in
margarine and that the result is a harmful substance you are
just getting your exercise jumping to conclusions.

David
post #5 of 9

SportKite1 wrote:

> Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?
>
> Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being
> PLASTIC...This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding
> margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated
> (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular
> structure of the substance).

Beef is ONE MOLECULE (DNA) away from being HUMAN FLESH!

You CANNIBAL!

Hope this helps :-)
post #6 of 9

SportKite1 wrote:

> Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?

They have different flash points. Because of this they can
be used differently for sauteeing. Flavor issues aside,
mushrooms sautee better in margarine than in butter because
of this difference. They can be sauteed hotter in margarine
and that sears them better.

> Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can
> enhance the flavors of other foods.

Tastes vary and they are not subject to objective tests. I
was raised in a time when no one knew the dangers of
transfats and when people falsely thought that saturated
fat was bad (much like doctors in the time of George
Washington thought that bleeding was good). So I grew up
having margarine not butter. I like the taste of margarine
better. Tough. I now know the problems of transfats so I
have butter instead.

> HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING! Margarine is
> but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC...

Chuckle. Nuclear bombs don't work by molecules. Too bad this
can't be exaggerated into radioactivity somehow ;^)

> Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on
> your toast?

Chuckle. Thanks for the posting.
post #7 of 9

"Julia Altshuler" <jaltshuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Here's more information:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp
>

> This is one of those Snopes reports that's true. When
> comparing butter and margerine, butter comes out better
> for nearly everyone on healthful properties and taste. Do
> take a look, however, at the last paragraph in the Snopes
> report having to do with the one molecule away from
> plastic business. They call it hyperbole, and I'd say that
> was an accurate assessment.

Even if it's true, so what? The poster clearly knows nothing
about chemistry. Water is one atom away from hydrogen
peroxide, a potent bleach. Salt is one atom away from
chlorine, a poison gas used in WW I. Carbon dioxide is one
atom away from carbon monoxide.

--
Peter Aitken

post #8 of 9

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> SportKite1 wrote:
> >
> > Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?
>
> They have different flash points.

You mean smoke points. Butter and margarine break down
and smoke, they do not vaporize hence they do not have
flash points.
post #9 of 9

PENMART01 wrote:

> At the flash point, there are tiny wisps of flame; at the
> fire point a fire is blazing. Do not put out an oil fire
> with water; it will spread the fire.

This is not correct. There is NO FLAME at the flash point,
unless an external ignition source is supplied.

Quoting from:
http://www.arlenetaylor.org/seminars/flashpoint.htm

"Flashpoint: the lowest temperature at which vapors above a
volatile combustible substance ignite in air when exposed
to flame."

Note that neither butter nor margarine are volatile
substances, hence they do not have flash points. They will
break down above their smoke points, and some of those
breakdown products can ignite, but those products are not
vapors of butter or margarine. You would not be able to
condense them to reconstitute butter or margarine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition