OT: Breathtaking stupidity

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
Sunday evening, the M25, half dark. Moderate traffic. A car broken
down on the hard shoulder. A friend has pulled up in front to help.
Perhaps a jump start is required, who knows. The friend decides to
turn the car round on the hard shoulder to face the wrong way.
Problem: the car is a Mercedes estate, which is several feet longer
than the hard shoulder is wide...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On 27-Jul-2004, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Sunday evening, the M25, half dark. Moderate traffic. A car broken
> down on the hard shoulder. A friend has pulled up in front to help.
> Perhaps a jump start is required, who knows. The friend decides to
> turn the car round on the hard shoulder to face the wrong way.
> Problem: the car is a Mercedes estate, which is several feet longer
> than the hard shoulder is wide...

What is the relevance to cycling?

Ian

"wheelsgoround" wrote:

> What is the relevance to cycling?

I'm sure I saw the OT - did anyone else?

--
Kev

wheelsgoround wrote:

> On 27-Jul-2004, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Sunday evening, the M25, half dark. Moderate traffic. A car broken
>>down on the hard shoulder. A friend has pulled up in front to help.
>>Perhaps a jump start is required, who knows. The friend decides to
>>turn the car round on the hard shoulder to face the wrong way.
>>Problem: the car is a Mercedes estate, which is several feet longer
>>than the hard shoulder is wide...

> What is the relevance to cycling?

The cars were parked on the cycle lane.

James

by treading on the toes of giants.

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wheelsgoround wrote:
>
> > On 27-Jul-2004, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Sunday evening, the M25, half dark. Moderate traffic. A car broken
> >>down on the hard shoulder. A friend has pulled up in front to help.
> >>Perhaps a jump start is required, who knows. The friend decides to
> >>turn the car round on the hard shoulder to face the wrong way.
> >>Problem: the car is a Mercedes estate, which is several feet longer
> >>than the hard shoulder is wide...

> > What is the relevance to cycling?

> The cars were parked on the cycle lane.

ROFLMAO

> James
>
> --
> If I have seen further than others, it is
> by treading on the toes of giants.
> http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

Just zis Guy, you know? typed:
> Sunday evening, the M25, half dark. Moderate traffic. A car broken
> down on the hard shoulder. A friend has pulled up in front to help.
> Perhaps a jump start is required, who knows. The friend decides to
> turn the car round on the hard shoulder to face the wrong way.
> Problem: the car is a Mercedes estate, which is several feet longer
> than the hard shoulder is wide...

Sounds as bad as the cyclist cycling the wrong way up the M1 hard shoulder a
while back ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

On 27-Jul-2004, "Kevin Stone" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm sure I saw the OT - did anyone else?

Forgive me; I'm still getting used to the rules of usenet.

I now realise that putting OT: at the start of the subject allows one to
post anything, regarless of its relevance to the newsgroup.

Ian

"wheelsgoround" wrote:

> Forgive me; I'm still getting used to the rules of usenet.

Rule number 1 = NEVER APOLOGISE!

:)

--
Kev

Kevin Stone [email protected] opined the following...
> "wheelsgoround" wrote:
>
> > What is the relevance to cycling?

> I'm sure I saw the OT - did anyone else?

That one up there ^ ? Yeah. I think I saw that too. ;-)

Jon

"wheelsgoround" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> On 27-Jul-2004, "Kevin Stone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure I saw the OT - did anyone else?

> Forgive me; I'm still getting used to the rules of usenet.
>
> I now realise that putting OT: at the start of the subject allows one to
> post anything, regarless of its relevance to the newsgroup.
>
> Ian

Indeed, but uk.rec.driving would have been a far more sensible place to post
it, and he might have got some interesting responses from motorists who
don't visit here.

Brian

In message <[email protected]>, wheelsgoround
<[email protected]> writes

>On 27-Jul-2004, "Kevin Stone" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure I saw the OT - did anyone else?

>Forgive me; I'm still getting used to the rules of usenet.

Usenet? rules.....???

>I now realise that putting OT: at the start of the subject allows one to
>post anything, regarless of its relevance to the newsgroup.

You can post anything anyway to a group (unless moderated)
--
Chris French, Leeds

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wheelsgoround wrote:
>
> > On 27-Jul-2004, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Sunday evening, the M25, half dark. Moderate traffic. A car broken
> >>down on the hard shoulder. A friend has pulled up in front to help.
> >>Perhaps a jump start is required, who knows. The friend decides to
> >>turn the car round on the hard shoulder to face the wrong way.
> >>Problem: the car is a Mercedes estate, which is several feet longer
> >>than the hard shoulder is wide...

> > What is the relevance to cycling?

> The cars were parked on the cycle lane.

Some people think so! I was driving along the M54 last week when someone was
cycling the wrong way up the hard shoulder on a bike with a child siting on
some rear paniers!!

On 27/7/04 10:51 pm, in article [email protected], "Paul - ***"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? typed:
>> Sunday evening, the M25, half dark. Moderate traffic. A car broken
>> down on the hard shoulder. A friend has pulled up in front to help.
>> Perhaps a jump start is required, who knows. The friend decides to
>> turn the car round on the hard shoulder to face the wrong way.
>> Problem: the car is a Mercedes estate, which is several feet longer
>> than the hard shoulder is wide...

> Sounds as bad as the cyclist cycling the wrong way up the M1 hard shoulder a
> while back ..

Poorly prepared. My jump leads are twice the length of my car. Then you
don't have to worry about making sure you are pointing the right way.

Also useful for jumpstarting a fishing boat engine we had just rebuilt.. (it
was still in the boat at the time..)

...d

David Martin typed:

> Poorly prepared. My jump leads are twice the length of my car.

My mum bought a set when she bought a second-hand Renault Extra van,
modified to take her husbands wheelchair .. they were almost four foot long.
Fecking useless ...

> Also useful for jumpstarting a fishing boat engine we had just rebuilt..
> (it was still in the boat at the time..)

Heheheh, I've bump-started a boat before, a small Johnson outboard, by using
a small length of fender rope wrapped round the prop and pulling hard ..
thankfully letting go of it quickly enough .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks