Armstrong boosts cycling profile in U.S.

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
--------------------------------
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Lance Armstrong's run of six straight Tour de France victories
has raised cycling's profile in the United States to unprecedented levels.

Professional and amateur organizations say their memberships have risen steadily
while millions tuned in to coverage of international racing's premier event this
summer.

Now comes the real challenge. At 32, Armstrong knows he won't race too much longer
and he might not even ride in the Tour de France next year.

Will the sport continue to grow after Armstrong racks his bike for the final time? Or
will it wither like the women's pro soccer league that couldn't capitalize on the
success of the national team's 1999 World Cup championship?
-------------------------------

Read the rest at http://www.tsn.ca/oln/news_story.asp?ID=92515&hubName=oln or
http://tinyurl.com/5tsku

J. Spaceman

--
My email address ([email protected]) is fake. Email sent to it will
only get caught in my spam tarpit.

Jason Spaceman wrote:

> Now comes the real challenge. At 32, Armstrong knows he won't race too much longer
> and he might not even ride in the Tour de France next year.
>
> Will the sport continue to grow after Armstrong racks his bike for the final time? Or
> will it wither like the women's pro soccer league that couldn't capitalize on the
> success of the national team's 1999 World Cup championship?

Didn't you hear, cycling is going NASCAR. Discovery Channel is going to
buy OLN (or vice versa) and they will have helmet cams. Red-necks in
pickup trucks will have "LANCE!" or "FLOYD!" bumper stickers right next
to their "3" and "8". No more beer bottles being flung, but lots of XXL
bibs and jerseys on the road.

Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> From the article:
> --------------------------------
> AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Lance Armstrong's run of six straight Tour de France victories
> has raised cycling's profile in the United States to unprecedented levels.
>
> Professional and amateur organizations say their memberships have risen steadily
> while millions tuned in to coverage of international racing's premier event this
> summer.
>
> Now comes the real challenge. At 32, Armstrong knows he won't race too much longer
> and he might not even ride in the Tour de France next year.
>
> Will the sport continue to grow after Armstrong racks his bike for the final time? Or
> will it wither like the women's pro soccer league that couldn't capitalize on the
> success of the national team's 1999 World Cup championship?
> -------------------------------
>
> Read the rest at http://www.tsn.ca/oln/news_story.asp?ID=92515&hubName=oln or
> http://tinyurl.com/5tsku
>

> J. Spaceman

The rise in membership is just a blip. The interest is in Armstrong.
To most, he's a cancer survivor not a cyclist.

>From: gym gravity [email protected]

>Didn't you hear, cycling is going NASCAR. Discovery Channel is going to
>buy OLN (or vice versa) and they will have helmet cams. Red-necks in
>pickup trucks will have "LANCE!" or "FLOYD!" bumper stickers right next
>to their "3" and "8". No more beer bottles being flung, but lots of XXL
>bibs and jerseys on the road.

Cool do you know how many good amateur /d3 teams you could support on the
budget of one competitive Nascar team?
Show me the money!
Bill C