Where are the women on bikes in Melb?

coowoowoo

Guest
Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

--

coowoowoo wrote:
> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
> melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
> or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
> of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
> all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
> they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
> as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

Cheer up, I'm here around the inner eastern suburbs, 35+, have many
different bikes (tourer/mtb/ss/bmx + more), lifestyle based around bikes
and bike related stuff. As for blokes with fuzzy legs, go off road to
MTB Land. From a ladies perspective, the lads can shave their legs if
they like, but I really don't care. I prefer a bloke that looks like a
bloke with hairy legs.:D :D

--

coowoowoo wrote:
> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
> melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
> or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
> of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
> all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
> they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
> as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

--

jazmo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> coowoowoo wrote:
> > Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
> > melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
> > or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
> > of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
> > all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
> > they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
> > as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

> I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

I had hairy legs for years until I took up racing and a few months
later gone. Peer pressure, desire to fit in etc. Stupid aint it ?
I never thought I'd be a sucker for that stuff, never smoked in my
life, but their ya go !!

I will not hesitate to say I'm hairless for no other reason that is it
the standard look. Any other reasons, FOS for chumps like me.

coowoowoo> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+
coowoowoo> on bikes in melbourne?

I see a few on Nepean Highway between Highett and the CBD most mornings.

coowoowoo> And where are all the men riding bikes with hair on their
coowoowoo> legs?? Do they exist?

Nepean Highway most days, sometimes East Boundary, North Road,
Springvale if working in Burwood.

coowoowoo> Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed?
coowoowoo> Can anyone help me here as i really want to know why men
coowoowoo> feel the need the wax their legs..

Lessee, got nicks, shoes and helmet. No waxing and the rest of my attire
is daggy as.

#1 haircut 'cause I'm lazy and hate brushing my hair ;-)
--
Regards
Euan

Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up to
the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
next to me.

--

> I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have
> hairy legs.

I had hairy legs for years until I took up racing and a few months later
gone. Peer pressure, desire to fit in etc. Stupid aint it ? I never
thought I'd be a sucker for that stuff, never smoked in my life, but
their ya go !!

I will not hesitate to say I'm hairless for no other reason that is it
the standard look. Any other reasons, FOS for chumps like me.

Peer pressure.. hahaha.. do they make you smoke as well?? So does it
make you ride faster??????

--

jazmo wrote:
> I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

Do you ride in a bunch and do the other boys ridicule you and make you
go to the back of the line?? Do men actually discuss what wax is best to
use? Now that is something that i would like to hear. :D

--

My wife is 40 and commutes on her MTB to the CBD from Ivanhoe most days.
Interesting thing is she's not at all the 'sporty type' but sees it as a

"coowoowoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
> melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
> or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
> of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
> all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
> they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
> as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..
>

> --

coowoowoo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have
> > hairy legs.

>snip

> Peer pressure.. hahaha.. do they make you smoke as well?? So does it
> make you ride faster??????

nope and nope.

jazmo wrote:
> I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!

as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
business end of the Bod

I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
legs:D :D :D

As for women, I was really surprised how few were at the crits I did. I
know a few strong female riders but they are certainly few and far
between. the lack of gal commuters is rather low too...

--

coowoowoo wrote:

> Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
> slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
> and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up to
> the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
> next to me.
>
> --

I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-legged women and
supple-skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I
reckon I'll buy me a set soon...

Tamyka

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> coowoowoo wrote:
>
>>Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
>>slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
>>and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up to
>>the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
>>next to me.
>>
>>--

> I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
> have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-legged women and
> supple-skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I
> reckon I'll buy me a set soon...
>
> Tamyka

No way, I commuted all last winter in Melb with no longs (of course the
hair on my legs almost makes up for them). It only hurts for the first
km which is all downhill, after that I heat up real quick, but I think
that's just genetics (my Dad always wore shorts and T-shirt even in the
middle of winter)

Dave B.

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
> have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-legged women and
> supple-skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I
> reckon I'll buy me a set soon...

Maximum temperatures in Melbourne these days are around the 17° to 20° mark.
That's just cool enough for me to wonder when I go out for a ride whether
it's not a tad too cool for nix, which in practice means it's exactly right
because I'm as warm as when I get back. It's my upper body which needs
attention. It's starting to get too cool for vests or sleeveless T-shirts.

--

A: Top-posters.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]

[...]

> I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!
>
> as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
> deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
> business end of the Bod
>
> I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
> legs:D :D :D

I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do Not Like It. For
some reason they always pass me back by going through the red light I've
stopped for.

--

A: Top-posters.

flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> jazmo wrote:
> > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

> I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!

then you only race D grade, or maybe C. Nothing wrong with that but
there is no hairy leg people in B or A grade. Well, none that do any
good.

> as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
> deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
> business end of the Bod
>
> I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
> legs:D :D :D

What a strange comment.

[snip]

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!
> >
> > as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
> > deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
> > business end of the Bod
> >
> > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
> > legs:D :D :D

> I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do Not Like It. For
> some reason they always pass me back by going through the red light I've
> stopped for.

Another strange comment. Fark, my old mazda 626 once passed a Porshe
911. I and my Mazda ROCK !!

rickster wrote:

> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
> > > legs:D :D :D

> > I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do Not Like It. For
> > some reason they always pass me back by going through the red light I've
> > stopped for.

> Another strange comment. Fark, my old mazda 626 once passed a Porshe
> 911. I and my Mazda ROCK !!

Yep, people on hybrids and mtb's pass me often. Usually they are working
a lot harder than me (not always). It really doesn't bother me. The
mtb riders look funny if you stick 'em on a road bike.

Once a guy in sandals passed me and I found that one a little upsetting
but later I saw him unclip and clip in again. Didn't know you could get
plugger-cleats. Has anyone seen them in a shop or were they custom
(home) made?

I don't like it when people race past you (driving or cycling) on a flat
or up a hill but then can't handle corners at speed, and cut you off,
etc.

______________________________________

Tamyka Bell, PhD Student
School of Human Movement Studies
The University Of Queensland
w: +61-7-33656105
m: +61-4-00782972
e: [email protected]
______________________________________

Daveb wrote:
> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > coowoowoo wrote:
> >
> >>Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
> >>slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
> >>and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up
> >>to the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the
> >>man next to me.
> >>
> >>--

> > I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
> > have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly- legged women and supple-
> > skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I reckon
> > I'll buy me a set soon...
> >
> > Tamyka

> No way, I commuted all last winter in Melb with no longs (of course the
> hair on my legs almost makes up for them). It only hurts for the first
> km which is all downhill, after that I heat up real quick, but I think
> that's just genetics (my Dad always wore shorts and T-shirt even in the
> middle of winter)
> Dave B.

Hi again I am still being ambitious and am riding to work in the mid
thigh nix but agree with dave.The sleeves are coming out and the gloves
are back on..

--

coowoowoo wrote:
> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
> melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
> or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
> of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
> all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
> they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
> as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

Many things in our current lifestyle can be questioned. Why male
cyclists, mostly roadies, shave their legs does not need to have a
substantial reason. Or there may be reasons. But what's the difference?
Shaving body hair is not limited to cycling. I tend to think those
sports that draw attention to the body of performer tend to call for
clean skins, but that's me.

Many norms have formed over time, and it's our inclination not to go
against them when there's no need to. I can extend your question to why
do public servants and such wear suits? Why magistrates and attorneys
wear wigs? Why women shave their panty lines (wow I think I know the
answer to this one)? Why builders wear shorts that show their cracks?
Why there is always Ford vs Holden in OZ? Why we hold the knife with
right hand and fork with the other (or am I confused)? Why there are 26
letters in English alphabet?

And BTW, I haven't shaved for a while, so the hair on my legs is not too
short and too long, just in between. Should I ride a hybrid then??? ;)