Mounting camcorder onto mountain bike - what kind of arm?

On 12 May 2003 08:13:32 -0700, [email protected] (Kenric) wrote:

|Hi, I'm looking for the arm that Pete Fagerlin uses to mount the |camcorder onto his bike. I have
the Superclamp but need to buy the |actual arm/mount. Can anyone tell me what brand and model it is?

|Here is a picture of it. |http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/toptube.jpg

Go to a decent camera store and look at what the offer from Bogen, etc. as far as lighting mounts.

Also, read this part gain:

"Note: Even with Sony's SteadyShot, you'll get some degradation of video quality if you are riding
fast on rough terrain. Mounting the camera to the bike also can destroy the camera's tripod mount if
you don't use a supplemental strap to hold the camera down on the mount. Riding with the camcorder
attached to the bike can also seriously damage the tape heads and other bits inside the camcorder
(can you tell that I don't mount my camcorder to the bike that much anymore?)."

> On 12 May 2003 08:13:32 -0700, [email protected] (Kenric) wrote:
>
> |Hi, I'm looking for the arm that Pete Fagerlin uses to mount the |camcorder onto his bike. I
> have the Superclamp but need to buy the |actual arm/mount. Can anyone tell me what brand and
> model it is?
> |
> |Here is a picture of it. |http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/toptube.jpg
>
> Go to a decent camera store and look at what the offer from Bogen, etc. as far as lighting mounts.
>
> Also, read this part gain:
>
> "Note: Even with Sony's SteadyShot, you'll get some degradation of video quality if you are riding
> fast on rough terrain. Mounting the camera to the bike also can destroy the camera's tripod mount
> if you don't use a supplemental strap to hold the camera down on the mount. Riding with the
> camcorder attached to the bike can also seriously damage the tape heads and other bits inside the
> camcorder (can you tell that I don't mount my camcorder to the bike that much anymore?)."

Yeah, body mounted cameras are the way to go. much softer ride.

I personally would not mount a camera by its tripod mount. i tried it once in a car (just testing
cameras shock stability), and the camera bobbed around so much it was worse than blare witch
project. that and it ate the tape (good old analog full size VHS).
--
~Travis

Anthony says:

>Ah, so. The "true, but" game... ;*)

That's the "specialite' du maison" 'round hyer......

>What I was getting at is that the explosion of the mid to upper end recreational market has pushed
>technology in a way that 50 years of commuting needs failed to do.

Aha! Missed that little innuendo. ;-) IOW the paradigm shift was getting folks with lots of money,
who weren't racers, interested in buying high-end products so that there would be development money
for higher-end stuff? Works for me.

>But thanks for the heads up on global cycling!

Any time. The other speciality of the house is telling folks what they already know (better for the
heart if you don't surprise 'em too much)

Steve

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

> On 12 May 2003 17:34:12 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:
>
> >kenric says:
> >
> >>Here is a picture of it. http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/toptube.jpg
> >
> >I've never understood the whole "here is my generic camera mounted on a (insert car, tree, post,
> >bike) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.
> >
> >;-)
> >
> >Steve JUST KIDDING, PETE!!!!!!
>
> Hmmm...wrong page.
>
> Try this one:
>
> http://www.petefagerlin.com/bikes.htm
>
> (I know you were joking)

Handjob??? Well ... I guess that's all anyone really needs to know about your cross bike.

duct tape to helmet

what u need is a spring loaded mount, and attach the camera at the end of it

http://www.keysan.com/thumbnails/zdlt9213.jpg

those springs will be too soft thou..

but that is the only way your camera wont be broken by the fifth ride.

news:[email protected]...

On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:41:26 GMT, "MX-Pilot" <[email protected]> wrote:

|duct tape to helmet
|
|what u need is a spring loaded mount, and attach the camera at the end of it
|
|http://www.keysan.com/thumbnails/zdlt9213.jpg
|
|those springs will be too soft thou..
|
|but that is the only way your camera wont be broken by the fifth ride.

...and you base this upon.....?

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:41:26 GMT, "MX-Pilot" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> |duct tape to helmet
> |
> |what u need is a spring loaded mount, and attach the camera at the end of it
> |
> |http://www.keysan.com/thumbnails/zdlt9213.jpg
> |
> |those springs will be too soft thou..
> |
> |but that is the only way your camera wont be broken by the fifth ride.
> |

> ...and you base this upon.....?

I've had a bullet type helmet camera for two years now and decided to finally go with the X-jaket +
Small camcorder on the helmet this year. The bullet type cam disn't have the quality I hoped for and
it still was too shaky.

So I bought a new camcorder that will fit the X-Jaket. So I have an extra camcorder to use for other
angles which is why I'm mounting it to the frame.

So does anyone know the type of mount arm that's in the picture? I dont see anything in Bogen's
website that looks like it.

Pete, I'd ask you but in a google search you didn't remember the name of the clamp so I didn't think
you'd remember the name of the mount.
:)

Kenric