Newbie Question about Mongoose bikes- Mass market vs. bike shop models

Chris Boscarino

Guest
I am looking for a new mountain bike, and of course have read the FAQ and plan to get a bike from a
bike shop vs a mass market store, but noticed that Mongoose (a brand I noticed that is frowned on
around here) seems to have different names for the bike shop vs the mass market- in particular the
"Zero G3" vs the "Wing Pro" model. Is this a case where the name is changed for the dept store model
and has a different warranty? (seen this with other items than bikes, so would not surprise me). I
suspect having a dedicated bike dealer setting up and adjusting the bike for me would make a world
of difference so would the advice against Mongoose still apply? Thanks for any input Chris Boscarino

"Chris Boscarino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for a new mountain bike, and of course have read the FAQ and plan to get a bike from
> a bike shop vs a mass market store, but noticed that Mongoose (a brand I noticed that is frowned
> on around here) seems to have different names for the bike shop vs the mass market- in particular
> the "Zero G3" vs the "Wing Pro" model. Is this a case where the name is changed for the dept store
> model and has a different warranty? (seen this with other items than bikes, so would not surprise
> me). I suspect having a dedicated bike dealer setting up and adjusting the bike for me would make
> a world of difference so would the advice against Mongoose still apply? Thanks for any input Chris
> Boscarino

Well...for one add $100 to the price of the mass market bike. $50 for the initial setup, and $50 for
the subsequent tuneup, usually provided free from an LBS.

And in looking at both bikes online, the frames are different. Zero G3
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=863216#specs Wing Pro
http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php?brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=8

For ~$550, I know where I'd go to buy a bike. And at that price point, there are a LOT of
comparable/better bikes.

Pete

Or add nothing if you buy your Mongoose at ****'s. Initial setup is included in purchase price as is
the 30-day adjustment.

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
news:[email protected]...

"GRL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Or add nothing if you buy your Mongoose at ****'s. Initial setup is
included
> in purchase price as is the 30-day adjustment.

Having bought one bike at Dicks (kids BMX), I'd say their setup leaves something to be
desired. YMMV.

Pete

Don't doubt it. Your mileage will vary. Same can, no doubt, be said of some bike shops. My
experience with ****'s was OK and in any case I treat this as a hobby so I like learning and doing
my own tweaks/adjustments.